• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australia: The new police state (Welcome to 1984)

SteveElektro

Bluelighter
Did any of you guys catch lateline last night? Fucking disturbing interview with Attorney-General Philip Ruddock about Howard's latest crazy proposals, well worth reading to get an idea of how much of a slippery slope we may fall into, it really does my head in thinking about how much fucked up shit this PM gets away with thanks to his fear campaign and the stupidity of the general public.
I've bolded some of the more shocking bits for those of you with goldfish attention spans.
(Just remember to do it for this goldfish once in a while)=D
Ruddock defends proposed counter-terrorism laws
Reporter: Tony Jones
TONY JONES: Philip Ruddock, thanks for joining us.

PHILIP RUDDOCK, ATTORNEY-GENERAL: Pleasure, Tony.

TONY JONES: What are the chances you will actually be introducing the new anti-terror bill next week?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well it obviously is dependent upon conclusion of final agreement with the States. It was always a matter that we needed to ensure that the COAG agreement was accurately reflected in the drafting and that the States would be consulted. And because the reference of power for the Commonwealth to legislate requires that four, I think, of the six States sign off on any legislation, obviously we're going to be continuing our consultations with the States to ensure that they're satisfied that the provisions reflect the agreement accurately.

TONY JONES: How long can you delay this and still have the bill passed before Christmas, which is what the Prime Minister wants?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well, we want to do it as quickly as possible. The Prime Minister's made it very clear - and I would agree with him - that our objective is to have these measures in place before these sittings, which will include another four weeks of the Commonwealth Parliament are concluded.

TONY JONES: Did you anticipate the broad level of community concern about these new laws, particularly from the legal community?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: I've found in relation to any laws of this sort that are unusual and new, excite quite a degree of attention and that doesn't surprise me.

TONY JONES: It's not just the legal fraternity, of course. In the past few days we've spoken to 25 of the country's leading security experts not working for Government. 15 of them say the laws are not proportionate to the terrorist threat. They're saying effectively that you've gone too far.

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well look, one of the reasons that these laws are proceeding is because the competent advisers to the Commonwealth - and that includes our security agency and also the Australian Federal Police - outlined the nature of the risk. A lot of that material is not in the public arena, but it was certainly outlined to them. They appreciated the sense of urgency surrounding these matters. The Australian Federal Police drew very heavily upon the London experience and looked at the powers that people believe may already be in our law. They've tried to use those provisions and find them inadequate for the task.

TONY JONES: Those who say you've actually gone too far with these laws include Gerald Walsh, former deputy director of ASIO, Hugh White, former deputy secretary of the Defence Department, Peter Jennings, former adviser to the PM on strategic policy, Sandy Gordon, former head of intelligence for AFP. Does that worry you - that people at that level think you've gone too far, that the laws are not proportionate to the threat?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well, I mean, I haven't talked to them individually. What I know is the advice that we have. Now people who've been employed in a security agency - it depends how recently they have been. It depends on whether they have the knowledge of up-to-date intelligence that our organisations have and you have to look at the advice you are receiving from those agencies. And I've made the point - and I don't try to do it in a way which compromises our intelligence activity - but if you are going to put people under covert surveillance, it requires 30 people. And it's not too hard to imagine how an organisation that employs at the moment up to 900 people has very limited capacity to conduct surveillance operations - covert surveillance operations - along with all their other activities and if you're only dealing with one or two people, the problem would not be there. But when you're dealing with a much larger pool - and I cannot specify the nature of the pool, we haven't at any point, but we do know that people have trained with terrorist organisations. We've got people who are charged with those offences in Australia now. We have Hicks and Habib, who were the subject of commentary because of their training before 2002. It gives you some perspective that this is not something that has been dreamt up for the purposes of pursuing legislative measures that are unreasonable. These are proportionate to the risk that we are advised exists.

TONY JONES: So you would expect all of those people who've trained with terrorist organisations overseas to be on control orders as soon as you have those laws.

PHILIP RUDDOCK: No, I don't say that. I'm simply saying that people who have trained with terrorist organisations are one subset that this law is directed to dealing with. And it's a matter in which a court will have to be satisfied there is reasonable evidence that they have so trained and a court would have to be satisfied that the measures that are being sought are reasonably likely to contain activities which might expose the community to risk. So there are two steps. Both of them require judgments to be formed by judicial officers. But what I am saying is, yes, there are a number of people who've trained with terrorist organisations. Some of them may have recanted, moved on, said, "Look, I had this experience but it's no longer relevant to what I might be wanting to be involved in." But it is a matter in which you have to make some judgments on the basis of what they've done and what we believe they might still be capable of achieving.

TONY JONES: It's already been reported that as many as 80 people may be put under control orders as soon as you've got these laws in place. Do you deny those figures?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Yeah, I've said they're highly speculative and I'm not going to put a figure. The competent agencies have to make an assessment on the basis of the evidence that they have, knowing that there will be judicial supervision of the reasonableness of the request and the reasonableness of the measures that are being proposed. And they're not matters about which one can speculate, but I can say it is quite clear that there are some people who fit the descriptors that are included in the act to make control orders possible.

TONY JONES: So you would expect, obviously, some of those people will go under control orders as soon as you have the laws in place. You won't say the numbers but you would expect that to happen?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: I would expect that a person who has trained with a terrorist organisation that you believe might still engage in activity which exposes a risk to the Australian community would have to be considered for control orders and you would do so as soon as you had the legislation in place.

TONY JONES: That assumes, of course, that it's actually constitutional for judges to act in this way, to put people under control orders, and the advice that Peter Beattie has received from his Solicitor-General is it is not constitutional for that to happen.

PHILIP RUDDOCK: These matters have been tested before in relation to powers of warrants for a range of security-related purposes. The system that is used for questioning warrants involves a judicial officer in considering a request approved by me, asked for by ASIO, before a warrant is issued. Now that is a matter that we were advised was constitutional when we implemented it. It hasn't been challenged. In relation to all of the surveillance that is undertaken by police under the telecommunications interception legislation, warrants are issued by judicial officers, again using the same power of the constitution of judicial officers acting in their personal capacity and not being involved in any review that might be undertaken when decisions are challenged.

TONY JONES: But Philip Ruddock, the opposing point of view is that it's one thing to issue questioning warrants, it's another thing altogether to detain people without charge, without showing them what the evidence is against them for a period of time in secret. There may be many judges who will refuse to do that.

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Look, there'll be judges who may, in weighing up the evidence, come to a view that the evidence is not sufficient. But the question - and that's always the case - we've said these should be subject to independent judicial review. But the point I make is that there are a range of functions that are now carried out where judges or judicial officers exercise a personal decision-making capacity which the court in Grollo's case in 1995 upheld and our advice from our constitutional experts is that these measures are of the same character. Some people will argue that they're different. Our view is the court would come to the same view as it did before.

TONY JONES: You're talking about the High Court there. You expect the High Court to be forced to come to a view on this. The laws could be struck down, how dangerous would that be?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well, that's always a potential in relation to laws. You look at what decisions have been taken by courts before. You look at the provisions of the constitution and where we have a clear separation of powers doctrine, that is part of our constitution and our laws have to comply with it and if people believe the law doesn't, they're entitled to challenge it. That's part of the judicial system that we have. It doesn't mean you don't legislate when you have advice that courts have considered like matters and upheld them in the past. And that's the situation that we face. Yes, there are some people saying, "Yes, if we had the chance to argue this before a fresh panel of High Court judges, we may get a different view". But that's the nature of the judicial system.

TONY JONES: This is the view that we're hearing from the Queensland Solicitor-General, and obviously Peter Beattie, on the basis of that has expressed severe doubts about the constitutionality of these laws and he's saying the problem could be because the safeguards that COAG was expected to be put in place were not put in place in this legislation. What happened to those safeguards?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well, the safeguards are there and the safeguards were spelt out in an annexure to the document. In other words, the various evidentiary requirements that would have to be met and the opportunities for judicial review. Now the Prime Minister's made it clear and if Premier Beattie believes we haven't accurately protected and safeguards in the legislation, they're matters that can be properly considered. But the question is to -

TONY JONES: You'll consider new safeguards, will you? Apart from what's in the draft? For example, the Shadow Attorney-General Nicola Roxon is calling for a judicial review process for preventative detention which could actually include an appeals system.

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Legislation includes the opportunity for judicial review and every decision that is judicial reviewable is appealable.

TONY JONES: Now Nicola Roxon is saying that people targeted for preventative detention or control orders or their lawyers ought to be able to see the evidence against them. What's wrong with that?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well, questions of evidence in relation to security matters is a very sensitive one. We've discussed it broadly in relation to legislation that is in place and it's been approved by the Parliament for dealing with terrorist trials. And it is important to have a balanced approach in order to protect the identity of human sources. Sometimes to protect information that you can obtain from liaison bodies and at other times to protect techniques that you use which if you disclose them will render them useless for further investigation. So you have to get a balanced approach in relation to these matters. There are some matters that will have to be handled under the legislation that deals with these questions. It was approved of by the Parliament. These are terrorist offences and the same provisions will operate in relation to these matters as operate in relation to other terrorist offences when they're dealt with by the courts. [What the fuck kind of answer is that, Phil? Balanced approach? Is that what locking people up without a reason or the need to provide one is called now? - Steve]

TONY JONES: Why do you need the draconian secrecy provisions which would prevent apparently anyone, even within a family, communicating the fact that one member of their family is in preventative detention?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well you look at the purpose of preventative detention. Preventative detention is, for a very short period of time, in the context of the terrorist act.

TONY JONES: Two weeks is it not?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Two weeks, yes.

TONY JONES: But you couldn't expect a family not to communicate among each other that one member of the family has been put in preventative detention for two weeks?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well, let me put a hypothetical. I don't like hypotheticals, but the hypothetical might be that you were dealing with a family where other members were complicit in the terrorist operation that is under way. And that's one of the circumstances that has to be met for a preventative detention order to be sought. You have to establish that it's either occurred and you need to protect evidence or it's about to occur. Now the seriousness of that ought not to be understood estimated. It's a very serious situation that we could be faced with. Now the question is, do you advise people who are part of this lager scene and warn them that you have ascertained information about what they're going to do and allow them to abscond or take other steps that might bring forward their operation that would expose the broader Australian community to risk. So yes, there are some judgments that might have to be made about who would be told, but we would want the maximum family knowledge about these matters consistent with the police having a proper opportunity to ensure that the broader community is not exposed to risk. [Another great answer, fuckstick. What if, "hypothetically", you got caught kiddy fiddling? Peodophilia is a serious crime, and what if your whole family was in on a child abduction raquet? Shit!! Wow!!! I can now justify abducting you in the night and locking up your wife for telling your son that you've been in my basement for two weeks! Hot Dog!!!!! -Steve]

TONY JONES: But the draft has a 5-year jail term for anyone within that family who communicates to another member of that family that someone is in preventative detention from that family. That's a pretty serious criminal offence to be charged with when you're communicating within a family, or even among friends or in the workplace, or to a teacher at a school.

PHILIP RUDDOCK: The carrying out of terrorist acts is a very serious matter in which people's lives are at risk and exposed. And we've seen it abroad, we've seen Australians tragically lose their lives. If people are likely to compromise efforts to thwart such acts, you're dealing with a very serious matter. I wouldn't underestimate or play down the seriousness of those matters at all, Tony. I think the provision of information when you are dealing with a terrorist act that has occurred, or is about to occur, ought to be seen as a very, very difficult issue but one which the penalties have to be proportionate to the seriousness of the offence.

TONY JONES: Philip Ruddock, you know that plenty of people blame you for the culture in the Immigration Department that led to the wrongful detention of apparently more than 200 people, including a number of Australians. They're now asking the question, why should you be trusted with oversight of these extraordinary new powers of detention? What is your answer?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Well, the answer is very simple Tony. When I was Immigration Minister, I counselled Immigration officers always to make lawful decisions. That's the culture that I believe ought to be in place. It's the culture that I encouraged people to implement. And when you have many of the decisions that you are taking - reviewable as they are - you sometimes find that a step where you believed you had appropriate evidence in the decisions you were taking were reasonable are shown by challenges that are brought to have been not within the law as drafted. And that's the way in which the system is intended to operate and the culture that I expect in relation to these issues is exactly the same - that people in our law enforcement agencies have to act within the law and they have to make lawful decisions and they have to recognise that decisions they take can often be challenged and they'll be judged against those outcomes.

TONY JONES: Philip Ruddock, isn't there even more opportunity for this to get out of control than there was with the powers vested in those Immigration officers who were out of control and made, according to the Ombudsman, catastrophic decisions?

PHILIP RUDDOCK: I think the description "out of control" is quite inappropriate. I think there are a relatively small number of cases in a very large case load where decisions have been shown by later circumstances to have been unlawful at a particular point in time and that can occur. I mean, that's the reason we have opportunities for judicial review and equally, in relation to these matters, we are including measures that ensure that at all stages decisions can be capable of being reviewed independently by appropriate regulatory bodies such as the Ombudsman, the inspector-general of security, and equally, in relation to decisions which require judicial oversight, people have to act lawfully.

TONY JONES: Philip Ruddock, we are out of time. We thank you very much for coming in on a busy day in London to talk to us on Lateline tonight.

PHILIP RUDDOCK: Always a pleasure, Tony.
You heard it people! Terrorism is serious. Do not underestimate it. You maybe distracted because you're busy locking up arabs for no reason, but in that free time you have before you lock up his family, think long and hard about the seriousness of terrorism. And why stop there? Prostitution! Drugs! Unsavoury political activities! There are all sorts of serious problems to think about, and all sorts of people and families to abduct! Joyy!

Article Source

Last edited:
I'd expect nothing less from our aspiring proto-facist government, drunk with the power of the first parliamentary dictatorship without check or balance in decades. :X

Good points you make though Steve (As per usual) and cheers for posting this up.

-plaz out-

Reading the topic, I was going to post "I think your over reacting". But after reading the post..... Youre not over reacting.

Jesus fucking Christ. This is getting rediculous, its almost preferable to have the terrorists running the show. At least with them, you know where you stand.

no it could never happen, not here in beautiful australia, the land of the "fair go". quit smoking weed ;)

Sadly :(,I predicted this government would do something like this.

This government have been facists for a while eg: Locking the general public out of Parliment House when George W. Bush was invited to speak.Acting like they own parliment :p .

As pointed out.This goverment just uses fear to be politically popular.Whether it's of boat people,Iraq's Weapons Of Mass Destruction,even if SHOCK! gay people got married,and of course NOW the scary terrorists,etc,etc............

Forget the fact you are more likely to die being hit by a car,dieing in a car accident,straight up being murdered,etc.....................

We have more reasons to be scared by this current federal government than terrorists.

Just look at Phillip 'Mr Burns' Ruddock and the stuff-ups he made in the immigration department(With many still being looked at NOW!),great track record there 8) .

Of course the government lie of 'children being thrown overboard', is an another of many examples,that show the lack of creditability of this government.

The general public that blindly follow this government and still have faith in them.Seriously,need to learn 'critical thinking' and are quite scary.Glad I've NEVER voted for this federal government :p

Also,those 'Weapons Of Mass Destruction' in Iraq was great info.So,the track record of the government and the spy agencies are very poor.

Plus,the recent deportation of an American who was protesting here against the Iraq War.Who reportly was only told he was a 'security risk', but NOT why?I can imagine this government repeating similar actions under these laws, to stop our democratic right of speaking out against the government.

These laws take away the fundamental freedoms that were faught for in this country, of a democracy.Such as 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'NOT locking up people without due process and charge'.

Finally,if only we could have a federal government of hope.
NOT FEAR!!!!! for political gain.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll be able to doublethink your way out of this one, Steve. Room 101. Now.

Bit of a double edged sword...if they do nothing (or in this case don't do as much as they're doing) and something does happen, then we all bitch about the fact they should have done more.

As I understand it, most of these laws (such as shoot to kill) are already law - just not applicable to terrorism (yet)??

Still I must admit I don't like/apprecite some of the powers it looks like they'll be getting, but I also think reality will control them - police can stop you now and search if they've got suspicion for example - but I don't look suspicious (even walking into Summadayze with a big smile on my face), and I'm not going to be hanging around airports with a bag of dynamite, so I'm tipping these new laws will have absolutely no effect on me whatsoever.

Bent Mk2 said:
Bit of a double edged sword...if they do nothing (or in this case don't do as much as they're doing) and something does happen, then we all bitch about the fact they should have done more.

You'll find that many people in this forum think we deserve it. :)

Bent Mk2 said:
Still I must admit I don't like/apprecite some of the powers it looks like they'll be getting, but I also think reality will control them - police can stop you now and search if they've got suspicion for example - but I don't look suspicious (even walking into Summadayze with a big smile on my face), and I'm not going to be hanging around airports with a bag of dynamite, so I'm tipping these new laws will have absolutely no effect on me whatsoever.

Ever been pulled over and had the cop say "I smell pot, im looking through your car" even though you dont smoke pot and have never had it in the car?

I wonder if in a few years when everyone is bored with terrorists, evil drug runners will become the next target and the laws will be switched to them.

What's even more scary is Beazley thinks the laws are not tough enough.

Wasn't there a time when the Labour Party was considered left wing?

First they put away the dealers,
keep our kids safe and off the street.
Then they put away the prostitutes,
keep married men cloistered at home.
Then they shooed away the bums,
then they beat and bashed the queers,
turned away asylum-seekers,
fed us suspicions and fears.
We didn't raise our voice,
we didn't make a fuss.
It's funny there was no one left to notice
when they came for us.

- Nofx, Regaining Unconsciousness

Last edited:
Lostpunk : In answer to your question, the Labour Party has been considered left wing for a lot longer than it deserved. It stopped being really left wing back when the Banks managed to foil Chifley's attempt to Nationalise them, that broke the back of the Labour party as a left wing organisation.

-plaz out-

Sorry but I dont have a problem with it based on my limited and in all honesty disinterested understanding.

I vote them in and I expect that they will do whatever they have to in order to keep my country safe.

I expect that even if the bastards crashed a plane into the middle of Pitt St that use would all have a whinge about how it should have been prevented.

Seriously guys..........they have to do something, this is not some television movie anjd you can turn it off when you want to.

Lets face it, its gunna happen sometime...........hopefully the governments steps can minimise the risk at least.

The fact is...........there is not enough they can do.

At least there are a few members of the Labour party that have outright said they won't back Beazley on this one. Not much hope, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

And Mazdan rather than these bullshit laws which are reducing us to nothing more than medieval peasants that should shut the fuck up or be trampled under the hooves of our great leaders' horses, wouldn't a policy of understanding and non-aggression be better preventative measures against terrorism.

Lead by example maybe?

MazDan said:
Sorry but I dont have a problem with it based on my limited and in all honesty disinterested understanding.

I vote them in and I expect that they will do whatever they have to in order to keep my country safe.

I expect that even if the bastards crashed a plane into the middle of Pitt St that use would all have a whinge about how it should have been prevented.

Seriously guys..........they have to do something, this is not some television movie anjd you can turn it off when you want to.

Lets face it, its gunna happen sometime...........hopefully the governments steps can minimise the risk at least.

The fact is...........there is not enough they can do.

Mazdan, I take this moment to inform you that you and people like you are the fatal flaw in the concept of democracy, along with party politics. Blind trust in elected leaders begets you nothing except tyranny and treachery. You voted them in and expect them to do whatever they have to do in order to keep the country safe? Wow, the people who lied to you about the GST, the Children Overboard, who have the worst record for ministerial accountability in the history of Australian government?

I won't whinge about how terrorism should have been prevented, only a moron whinges about how something should never have happened, smart people ask 'why'? Why do terrorist attacks happen? Because of the massive injustices and inequalities that are perpetrated and perpetuated across the world in order to maintain your standard of living, your cheap clothes, and your cheap petrol.

There's not enough they can do? Increasing aid funding might help. Hell I'd be willing to bet that if everyone had a decent standard of living and decent education, food, clean water, a job, all that stuff, there'd be fuckall incentive or support for terrorists. The problem is that there will ALWAYS be people willing to violently push an agenda, but you can neutralise support for them by ensuring they have no support base in poor badly educated people. Oh wait, that's kind of like Australia, I guess the best anti-terrorism begins at home. We should consider educating, feeding and clothing the people of Australia to a degree where they won't blindly support populist leaders who support violence as a way of accomplishing political goals.

:\

-plaz out-

Mazdan... I think you should have a read of this article (an opinion piece from the SMH today.) It brings up some really good points - what will these laws do to stop a terrorist attack? I honestly don't think they'll do much and I'm seriously concerned about the potential for abuse. I mean we're talking about a Government who accidentally deported a few people it shouldn't have and doesn't want to take responsibility for it. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them...

Tell us the how, not just the why, of new laws
October 31, 2005

The Government has failed to explain in what way its anti-terrorism bill will prevent attacks, writes Hugh White.

We can all agree that terrorist attacks need to be prevented. And we can all agree civil liberties need to be protected. So deciding about the Government's proposal for extensive new detention and control powers involves striking a balance between two opposing risks. One is the possibility the new powers would be misused. The other is the danger that the Government will not be able to stop a terrorist attack without them.

We have heard a lot of talk about the first of these - the real and serious risk that abuse of new police powers would infringe our civil liberties, and the complex legal and constitutional issues which that raises. Even so, I think a lot of people would support the new detention and control powers, if they could be convinced these powers would help prevent a terrorist attack.

This side of the question has not received much attention. The Government has not explained to us exactly what the new powers are for, and why they are needed. Until we know this, we cannot judge whether the benefits of the new laws outweigh the costs.

They could start by explaining the problem that the new powers are supposed to fix. The Government seems to imply that under today's laws they cannot detain people who are discovered planning a terrorist attack. It conjures up a scenario of the police and ASIO being powerless to apprehend people who they know to be actively involved in terrorism.

If that is the situation, it needs to be fixed. But is it? Under existing law, membership of a terrorist organisation, or any act of planning or preparation for a terrorist attack, is a criminal offence. If the police have evidence someone is involved in terrorism, or is planning or preparing an attack, they can be arrested, charged and held until the case is brought to trial.

Until a few months ago, the Government apparently believed these powers were sufficient. In 2002 and 2003 it sought and received substantial new powers to combat terrorism, and broadened the definition of terrorism-related crimes. But it did not try to strengthen detention powers. So why were those powers thought to be sufficient then, but not now?

And if there are gaps in today's laws, why go down the complex and risky route proposed by the Government, when there is a much easier solution? If there are still activities clearly related to terrorism which are not covered by the criminal code, the Government could simply extend the code again to make these activities illegal. Then those involved could be arrested, charged and tried under normal procedures.

The Government argues that a whole new approach is essential because the London bombings in July showed that we face a new risk of home-grown terrorism. But that's not right. We have known of the risk of home-grown terrorism ever since the September 11 attacks. Long before the London bombings the Government had caught and tried Australia's own would-be home-grown terrorist, Jack Roche. So the London bombings told us nothing new, and nothing that explains why the police now need unprecedented new powers.

If anything, the London bombings showed the opposite. Detention powers like the ones proposed in our new laws would not have helped the British police stop the London bombings, because they had not identified the individuals involved as significant terrorist risks. Their problem was not a lack of powers to detain terrorists, but a lack of information about who to detain.

So what are the new powers to be used for, and against whom? The Attorney-General, Philip Ruddock, hinted on Lateline last week that the new laws would target people who trained with terrorist organisations before September 11, 2001. That would be illegal now, but it wasn't then. As long as ASIO has no evidence they are now involved in terrorism, all it can do is watch them. Under the proposed new laws, these people could be placed under detention or control orders.

But the laws as drafted have much wider reach. They appear to allow the Government to detain people who are not and have never been - so far as anyone knows - involved in terrorist planning or training, on the grounds that police or ASIO believe that they might become terrorists in the future.

But how could they tell that? How far would they cast this new net? And why can't adequate powers to fight terrorism be provided more simply and safely by the normal processes of criminal justice? If the Government does not have good answers to all these questions, their new laws do not deserve support.

Hugh White is a Visiting Fellow at the Lowy Institute and Professor of Strategic Studies at ANU.

The fact that the Government wants to push the laws through without full public debate and enough time for Premiers to fully assess the impact before supporting it is another issue that's bothering me.

Nice so-called democracy we have here.

Sorry but you are wasting your time bleating to me about it.

I have already stated my disinterest.

My disinterest stems from the fact that i am an intelligent human being and hence i am able to discern that i cannot possibly understand all the ins and outs without being fully in the know.

The best i could do would be to appear like i knew everything and then put shit on anyone who is actually in a position to do something who actually does have an idea of all the ins and outs

However I choose not to do that as I am intelligent enough to realise that all that achieves is nothing...........nothing at all.

If you truly believe that what is happenning is not in our best interests, then I suggest you.........

1.Learn ALL there is to know, rather an impossibility without being in the right positions, I will admit.

2. Dont believe everything you read in newspapers........personally having been in the game, I have learnt to appreciate the brilliant ramblings of a journo who has the ability to twist anything to make it appear something totally different without actually dramatically changing the facts.

3. Start working to get yourself into a position where you can make a difference and help to make our society a happier and safer one for all to live in.

^^^ i don't think anyone here is believing everything they read in the newspapers. surely the early draft of the new terror legislation that jon stanhope released is as factual as you're going to get in this situation; the rest of the information that i've been paying attention to has just been opinion.

past that, i can form my own.

yeah, also i'd say interviews with the people who are looking to implement these laws (like the original post) are also pretty definitive - couldn't really get much more "in the know" than that.

i also voted the current government in Mazdan, but unlike you that to me doesn't equate to some implicit proviso that they are doing every thing in my and for that matter this country's best interests. i voted them in because to me, they were the best choice at that time and that certainly doesn't mean that i now blindly approve of any/all actions from them henceforth.

i don't think that is indicative of an intelligent attitude at all, i'd call that euphemising sticking your head in the sand at best.

in some ways, i think i made a mistake with my vote last time because of the consequential IR and security reforms which certainly don't sit well with my classical liberal stance on freedoms, but i fail to see what benefit you or anyone else is getting from your refusal to acknowledge how much these new laws will impinge on people's rights to said freedoms???