• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

AusDD is changing - Where can we improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
It’s time to look at improving AusDD so we ensure Bluelight remains a place you want to reside, others want to join and a place that encourages free and open discussion about the use of substances within a HR framework. This is your opportunity to put forward ideas about how we can improve, highlight areas that simply don’t fit and be part of the forward movement of the Australian Drug Discussion.

The moderators of AusDD are currently discussing these topics and want to ensure that any changes made are in line with the wishes of the community. We, the moderators, don’t own AusDD – You do!! Our job is to act as the oil in the machine that ensures it runs as smoothly as possible and within the guidelines. This is why it’s vitally important that any changes made are in consultation with the core elements that it’s ultimately going to affect.

I encourage everyone, new and old, to participate and put forward your thoughts and ideas. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been a member of the site because everyone’s thoughts will be based on how they observe the forum and are just as valid as any other members ideas. It’s our intention to ensure the changes made lead to the creation of an all inclusive environment that stretches across ages, race and generational differences. It's for these reasons the thread will be an open forum where any concerns can be raised without fear of retribution or attack from other members. Feel free to speak your mind, however, ensure it's done in a civil manner and without resorting to school yard tactics.

So, what do you want - Where can we improve???

I would like to see the pill reports/info requests back in individual threads. There are so few requests/answers now that they're bunched up into state threads.

I know this will most likely not happen because idiots don't read the rules and start posting "hav u had dat green heart in sydney? are dey good?"

I have to agree with that. I think people are more inclined to respond to info requests as individual threads as well. I know I never clicked the SA thread unless I was checking to see if a specific pill was mentioned, but if I can load up AUDD and see a request thread for a pill I know something about, I'm more likely to click the thread and respond.

Or for the best of both worlds, maybe allow people to post specific info requests, then have a stickied thread up the top for each state which you can merge them into once they've been replied to.

Also maybe lay back on the moderation a little. I think you guys do a great job, but you're a 'tad' overzealous at times. As an example, Sustanon's Oxy thread, yeah technically it's redundant when he can just go the oxycodone thread in OD, but it doesn't hurt to have some discussion take place here as well, and it means the info is in AUDD for the future. With this board being a little quiet compared to EUDD, I think we need to encourage discussion and activity (as long as it's all kosher, of course), not discourage it.

Last edited:
First improvement, lil angel 15 steps down from her moderator position, and we hire someone with a little more drug knowledge/legal knowledge that can make better input into drug related thread. Some people with greater chemistry knowledge are sorely needed

I have to agree with that. I think people are more inclined to respond to info requests as individual threads as well. I know I never clicked the SA thread unless I was checking to see if a specific pill was mentioned, but if I can load up AUDD and see a request thread for a pill I know something about, I'm more likely to click the thread and respond.

Or for the best of both worlds, maybe allow people to post specific info requests, then have a stickied thread up the top for each state which you can merge them into once they've been replied to.

Also maybe lay back on the moderation a little. I think you guys do a great job, but you're a 'tad' overzealous at times. As an example, Sustanon's Oxy thread, yeah technically it's redundant when he can just go the oxycodone thread in OD, but it doesn't hurt to have some discussion take place here as well, and it means the info is in AUDD for the future. With this board being a little quiet compared to EUDD, I think we need to encourage discussion and activity (as long as it's all kosher, of course), not discourage it.

i 100% agree.. also why i think lil angel needs to step down, as shes not much more than a mod, and doesnt have any real input where it counts, but enjoys deleting posts and playing bad cop...

First improvement, lil angel 15 steps down from her moderator position, and we hire someone with a little more drug knowledge/legal knowledge that can make better input into drug related thread. Some people with greater chemistry knowledge are sorely needed

I 100% agree with this, i would even like to propose that we hold a vote:)

I can think of a few people off the top of my head who would do a much better job.

(nothing personal lil angel)

I think you guys are being a little over the top. I said the mods are a little overzealous, but that wasn't directed at a particular mod and it certainly wasn't an attack on anyones status as a mod, just pointing out that the board might be better off with a slightly more lax environment.

I think you guys are being a little over the top. I said the mods are a little overzealous, but that wasn't directed at a particular mod and it certainly wasn't an attack on anyones status as a mod, just pointing out that the board might be better off with a slightly more lax environment.

Dude i don't care about what you said(i do but i mean, i'm not just jumping on the band wagon), it has nothing to do with my opinion, which is what it is.

Last edited:
heya guys i would like to come in here and advocate for lil angel in the period of time she has been on bludlight she has contributed more than her fair share of work. Behind the scences it actually takes alot to mod this place, we have had some pretty wild characters in here over that period of time and yet again lil has shown the commitment to keep reading all the posts and cleaning things up as necessary.

ADD has had a long history of people mod it with pharmacology /AOD knowledge / legal knowledge. but retaining people to do this job for free is a hard task. Look at the high caliber of contributions that we have by members such as Dr Playpus (emergency dr from adelaide) Phase dancer (chemst from QLD) John Boy (knower of all things drugs) and many more.

i think it is a shame to set a bar that only knowledgeable people are legitimately moderators and is promoting a stigma that is similar to that drug users face. I would like to think that ADD is also staffed by the people that particpate in the forums- as lil said you also have a responsibility to the forum to produce debate and information that also informs others.

we also have a responsibilty as mods to guide and moderate according to the guidelines and the future directions of add. Having posts that all discuss ways to potentiate increase peoples highs without any regards to harm reduction is also going to inform others who read it- as a moderator and a AOD worker i push the harm reduction mentality- this position in my daily practice has saved more lives

When i came to bluelight in 2000 i had no knowledge and the bluelight was taking of for a place to discuss issues around drugs; my opinions have changed over time from the experiences that i have had with substances and the work that i do on a daily basis. Even my posting style has changed- i think that it is part of getting a bit wiser and more experienced. One thing that has struck me is that there was always a big push for harm reduction- about taking care of ourselves and our friends and informing the wider community where we could. bluelight has sprung groups like enlighten from it and my group CodeBlue, through Phase dancer it was also involved with ravesafe and various other user groups that all pushed the harm reduction message- of less is more.

all these grass roots Harm Reduction groups came from bluelight, were influenced by BL and influenced BL. When people talk about getting fucked up more and more it makes the critics of drugs message more sound, producers more evidence for anti drug campaigning, and also degrades the messages contained within bluelight itself. THe last point about this is that it actually tell us alot about the person making the comments about their actual knowledge about drugs and about their capacity for self care.

to find someone who sticks around here for a long period of time is actually rare- most people float in and out; have a intense period of posting and leave after that time- life catches up....... aquestion to everyone else here what is your legacy in bluelight going to be? if your child grew up and discovered your old username and followed your posts would you let them take your advice?

A reminder of the Bluelight user agreement :

Bluelight (www.bluelight.ru) is an international message board that educates the public about responsible drug use (with a focus on MDMA) by promoting free discussion. We advocate harm reduction and attempt to eliminate misinformation. Bluelight is funded by private donations and maintained by a team of volunteers.

Bluelight does not condone or condemn the use of illegal drugs. Bluelight is a place for people to ask questions and educate themselves about drugs so they can make more informed decisions regarding their personal use. Other programs that advocate complete abstinence have had limited success, so Bluelight anticipates that people will continue to use illegal drugs regardless of the potential health or legal consequences. We want to encourage people to take personal responsibility for the choices they make regarding their drug consumption.

Harm reduction is the practice of taking reasonable measures to minimize the risks from drug use. Common harm reduction activities include encouraging people to exercise moderation in their drug consumption and to understand the purity or dose of the drug they are consuming. There is no such thing as safe drug use, but if someone is educated in the general principles of harm reduction, they increase the odds that their drug use will not lead to short-term disasters or long-term negative consequences.

Beyond harm reduction, Bluelight also seeks to educate the public about drugs by summarizing whatever information is known about a subject. Bluelight aims to deliver accurate information in an easy to understand manner that emphasizes safety. We also try to eliminate misinformation whether it exaggerates or understates the danger. If facts are unavailable, then honest anecdotal stories can provide useful information so people have an idea of what to expect.

Since Bluelight seeks to reach the widest possible audience, we take a balanced approach that allows the discussion of both the positive and negative aspects of drug use. We believe that education and harm reduction are more effective than using scare tactics or exaggerating negative claims. Anyone looking through our site will be able to find examples of irresponsible behavior, but we believe it does not glorify recklessness but instead reinforces the idea that people need to be more cautious. Everyone is encouraged to candidly discuss past experiences and ask any questions they might have.

Last edited:
In relation to the pill info requests, can we make a form page like pillreports?

That way the info in a request can be controlled (forcing them to input a valid answer in each box / drop down menu) and the post will look a lot neater too.

Or is this too much of a pain?

Good ideas keep em coming-

i guess the discussion about pillreports did come up years ago: pillreports is part of bluelight and should be used as part of the forum was teh overall message i think.
But if we were to introduce somehthing in here the suggestions of a drop down box seem good.

aussie the more organised into more sections sounds good- we were talking about getting a bunch of sbjects together and listing a heap of helpful threads to them and having it as a sticky.

We should be allowed to abuse and warn everyone who says something along the lines of "This wouldn't happen if this were legal, all drugs should be legal blah blah blah"

Every fucking topic someone chimes in and spews their pro-drug propaganda and everyone agrees with one another. Why not tell people where it matters. BL is becoming bias and becoming a pro-drug website under the veil of HR.

static i wonder if you could flag some of your other ideas again
you have promoted a sense of solidarity and change in some of your posts

Last edited:
We should be allowed to abuse and warn everyone who says something along the lines of "This wouldn't happen if this were legal, all drugs should be legal blah blah blah"

Every fucking topic someone chimes in and spews their pro-drug propaganda and everyone agrees with one another. Why not tell people where it matters. BL is becoming bias and becoming a pro-drug website under the veil of HR.

If less prohibition results in less harm, then they're one and the same.

Woooooah...lotsa good ideas here.
Going to read them when my brain is capable of doing so.
PLUR ppl

There's been some fantastic input so far guys - I'm thoroughly impressed!!! :)

I would like to see the pill reports/info requests back in individual threads. There are so few requests/answers now that they're bunched up into state threads.

I know this will most likely not happen because idiots don't read the rules and start posting "hav u had dat green heart in sydney? are dey good?"

This is obviously something that could be considered but in what capacity I couldn't yet say. The original reason they went to State threads was because it got to a point where the majority of the front page was taken up with PIR's. This wasn't only affecting the look of the forum but it was also taking away valuable input from Pill Reports. Bluelight became a pseudo pillreports.com and the more informed users tended to not cross post. This obviously had a negative impact on what was being seen on PR and in my opinion we saw a decline in its effectiveness as a reliable information resource.

The only problem with this idea is that when numerous threads are merged, they're merged chronologically. This would obviously lead to confusion when the merge of two or more threads occurred as you wouldn't be able to cross reference the comments against the actual reported pill. This is why we ask for a quote of the PIR or an initial description when discussing pills in the State threads.

This is definitely something that can be looked at in conjunction with guideline modifications. The mods are simply moderating in accordance with the guidelines or to ensure the threads don't go off track too much. Although it may be interesting for the two or three people derailing a thread, it's not inclusive of everyone and takes away from the discussion at hand.

In regards to thread closures like the one you described above - there is a very good reason that may not be so evident in the first instance. Threads are closed and directed to pre-existing threads or merged to ensure the information is easily accessible in the future - remember Bluelight is an information resource. If the information is centralised as much as possible then it reduces the chances it will be lost during forum pruning. Although it would be nice to have one of each and every thread in AusDD, there's the potential for some very informative posts to be lost.

Although it would be great to keep everything that was ever written on Bluelight, it's just not feasible when you consider the ever increasing hosting costs of a site this size. In the past we were fortunate to have a very generous donor that absorbed all costs associated with running Bluelight, but sadly and unfortunately he passed away. Bluelight now relies on DONATIONS to keep it running.

I think it would be fantastic if we had a member with all those attributes and willing to sacrifice their time to help moderate the forum. Unfortunately, what we want and what we get are two different things. We’ve been extremely fortunate in the past, and even now, to have moderators with some of those attributes but sadly they don’t grow on trees. I believe the current moderation team complements itself nicely but if there’s room for improvement then this is the opportunity to raise it and make that difference.
i 100% agree.. also why i think lil angel needs to step down, as shes not much more than a mod, and doesnt have any real input where it counts, but enjoys deleting posts and playing bad cop...

It’s always much easier sitting back, rubbing the chin and criticising the actions of others. It is, however, a very different story when the shoe is on the other foot. If you’re concerned about the moderation practices within AusDD, or more specifically my moderation, then I suggest you take the opportunity to apply the next time the situation presents. The AusDD moderation team work in collaboration, with regular feedback and discussion about this moderation taking place. This would obviously be that opportunity to make the change that you desire.

I 100% agree with this, i would even like to propose that we hold a vote:)

I can think of a few people off the top of my head who would do a much better job.

(nothing personal lil angel)

Then please encourage them to apply for positions when they become available. Another thing to keep in mind is that there is nothing stopping someone showing their interest outside of these ‘employment’ times. If they’re able to provide something positive to the mix, then it will always be considered.

In relation to the pill info requests, can we make a form page like pillreports?

That way the info in a request can be controlled (forcing them to input a valid answer in each box / drop down menu) and the post will look a lot neater too.

Or is this too much of a pain?

Fantastic idea!!! :)

I’m not sure if vBulletin supports such a format but I can certainly take it to our more tech minded staff.

Maybe it could be a little more organized into more sections

I imagine you mean like the The Ecstasy Discussion Directory???

If not, could you provide a little more guidance. :)

I understand where you’re coming from static_mind but you could take these opportunities to spark further debate on the subject. It’s obviously much easier to turn away from a problem but much more rewarding to fix a problem.

Do you think there's any other way we can combat this???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Believe it or not, I have been visiting and using this site for close to 5 years now. I have registered fairly recently and my first post was very openly dumb, but more of a test to determine if the site really was serious about HR. Needless to say I'm still around and though I dont post regularly, I visit daily.

Before I do go on, I'd like to offer some support to lil angel who alongside the other moderators has done an excellent job of managing the ADD portion of the site. Her decisions are fair and do the site enormous credit.

Some of you know me reasonably well, I generally only post on matters that are principally technical (or the occasional brash 'you're an idiot for swallowing 40 pills in one weekend no wonder you cant roll tonight' post) so forgive me if this seems a little off-track, to my mind it isn't.

1. With the prospect of the introduction of ISP level content filtering in Australia, are there any discussions or consierations being made on how to keep access to the site alive for those of us who live in Australia? One idea that springs immediately to mind is the prospect of setting up a hidden service within the TOR network.

2. I'd like to see bluelight use an SSL certificate to enhance the security and safety of posters, some of whom may be vulnerable, and I dont mean simply from the police.

3. Posting pictures on the site should be reviewed... I really feel that posters putting images of themselves up on the site complete with big eyes and a bag of whatever, really are inviting trouble, perhaps picture posts should be better moderated or at least certain images should not be visible? This may seem harsh but sites like bluelight are monitored.

4. The archives in some places are getting a little bit messy, and I feel that in some areas they need to be dumped. Is it possible to start looking at refreshing the old content and dumping what isn't required? Yes I am aware of the enormity of such a task

I understand some of this may be more of a site level thing but if the moderators are sharing ideas then I guess it never hurts to bring it up.

A separate section for news articles perhaps...

Not entirely separate, but if they were given their own folder where the threads appeared below the more generalised stuff... might help create some visual order at least.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see slightly looser moderation. One aspect might be allowing discussion of prices - at least in a general way. Not dicksizing, but an acknowledgement of the general street prices for particular substances. [One approach might be to allow pricing for small quantities, but not large ones: we don't want people saying 'yeah I pay $40 a pill but if I buy 1000 it's $20/each' (or whatever, I don't know what pills cost in Aus, obviously :D)

i think it is a shame to set a bar that only knowledgeable people are legitimately moderators and is promoting a stigma that is similar to that drug users face.

Well said. The role of a moderator isn't to be the smartest person in the forum; it's to keep the forum running smoothly. Many very knowledgeable people don't make good mods, because they flame noobs, or aren't interested in doing the donkey work of moderation.

It is important for mods to realise the limits of their knowledge, and not give advice when they don't know what they're talking about, but the primary role of a mod isn't to be the all-knowing expert.

[And kudos to lil angel for her response a few posts above]

Status
Not open for further replies.