• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

at what age did you get sober?

squirrel_girl

Bluelighter
i'm curious, either the age you first tried to get sober or the age that you succeeded.

i'm only 19, but i know in my heart that even if i am not an addict now, i will be one very very soon. my friends who dont use are worried about me, irritated with me. I've lost some of them because my drug use makes them unbelievably uncomfortable. My family is worried as well, even though i thought i was being very low key. my therapist suggested rehab which really freaked me out. but i feel too young to get sober. i'm not even allowed to legally drink. i also feel very silly calling myself any kind of addict because i've really just not been alive very long. dont know at what point i actually am an addict.

anyway, sorry for digression, but that's why i'm wondering. wondering if anyone has gotten sober young and been successful.

I was 16 the first time I tried to get clean, succeeded actually but fell into a much worse drug. Now I'm 20 and I'm sober again, think it's gonna be for longer this time.

I was 16 the first time I tried to get clean, succeeded actually but fell into a much worse drug. Now I'm 20 and I'm sober again, think it's gonna be for longer this time.

feel quite encouraged by this, that you're also young. i am very happy for you also! thank you.

Thank you, and it's a pleasure to be able to reassure you.

I quit everything before I turned 20. With the exception of a couple of psychedelic trips I didn't feel the need to do anything for years. Started up again with weed for post menopausal insomnia 40 years later. Now I have fun with weed if I feel like it. I often wonder if it were easier to make a switch from daily altered consciousness to straight (I hate the word clean) because I was so young. The brain is always malleable but a young brain can make changes and adaptations so much more easily.