• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Are Opiates good for singing?

Also, "Banging dope in the control room" sounds badass, I wouldn't mainline but imo there is very limited music out there that rocks like Dirt and it's hard to imagine Laynes Voice being any better, flawless..

I have to ask OP, how old are you? I'm having trouble believing an adult could be this naive. Opiates are not the key to making you a better singer or performer and the way you're talking about using them sounds like a good way to get hooked fast. The fact that the artists/writers you mentioned abused opiates seems more like coincidence than the drugs giving them the ability to create influential music. Stop romanticizing opiates before you end up with a habit you regret.

Well when I first started using 15-20 mgs of nasal oxycodone would put me in a great mood but not totally waxed,which I found perfect for playing and singing. I don't like booze as I play lead guitar and my coordination goes out the window.opioids have no effect on my ability to bust out a face melting slash style blues scale riff, but booze makes my fingers "trip" over each other.booze helps me on the confidence side of singing though.

I was under the impression the O.P. already dabbled in opiates, and was asking if mixing his drug use with music would have an adverse effect on his musicianship... Whether it has adverse effects on the other areas of his life is another story...and I think all us dope fiends have read that story several times and know how it ends

Booze is a lot worse and the abuse of it runs in my family so I'd rather just do opiates, oh well thanks for the reply and advice..world is falling apart at the seams just want to feel a little beautiful and spread some peace

I was under the impression the O.P. already dabbled in opiates, and was asking if mixing his drug use with music would have an adverse effect on his musicianship... Whether it has adverse effects on the other areas of his life is another story...and I think all us dope fiends have read that story several times and know how it ends

Are you really a "fiend"? I thought that mostly happened when you shot up

It's good if you want to damage your vocal chords, when you don't feel pain, your natural urge to protect yourself from injury is gone.

You can feign for drugs you've never even had but rather just like what you've heard about them. IV'ing is not necessary. If you are predisposed to become an opiate junky (I'm not, thank God), then you shouldn't do opiates even once. I was addicted to the idea of MDMA years before I had the chance to try it.

As for the original question, I don't get it. Why would opioids make you sing better?

You can feign for drugs you've never even had but rather just like what you've heard about them. IV'ing is not necessary. If you are predisposed to become an opiate junky (I'm not, thank God), then you shouldn't do opiates even once. I was addicted to the idea of MDMA years before I had the chance to try it.

As for the original question, I don't get it. Why would opioids make you sing better?

It honestly took me a couple reads to really understand what you were saying, point well taked Dresden..Like girls I just wanna have fun, I don't think i'm a junkie either have taken a bunch of opiates before and just dig em like I would a glass of wine..luck i'm no alchy either..I heard opiates are good for singing, do you have evidence to the contrary ?

I usually try to be gentle when people ask about initial experiments with opiates. But, OP, what you seem to be imagining is at best not true. Sure, plenty of musicians used dope. Many of those musicians were also broke and borderline homeless early in their careers (Kurt Cobain comes to mind). But I never see anyone say, "hey, if I gave away all my money and lived under the interstate, maybe my creativity would skyrocket." Dope is glamorized as fuck. But being an addict couldn't be less glamorous, or less prone to creative breakthroughs.

By all means, experiment all you want. But don't kid yourself: opiates won't make you a better singer. They'll just make you into an opiate addict.

Love,
an opiate addict.

I usually try to be gentle when people ask about initial experiments with opiates. But, OP, what you seem to be imagining is at best not true. Sure, plenty of musicians used dope. Many of those musicians were also broke and borderline homeless early in their careers (Kurt Cobain comes to mind). But I never see anyone say, "hey, if I gave away all my money and lived under the interstate, maybe my creativity would skyrocket." Dope is glamorized as fuck. But being an addict couldn't be less glamorous, or less prone to creative breakthroughs.

By all means, experiment all you want. But don't kid yourself: opiates won't make you a better singer. They'll just make you into an opiate addict.

Love,
an opiate addict.

I guess what you're saying is learn to enjoy being sober, that was deep thank you simco

Are you really a "fiend"? I thought that mostly happened when you shot up

Im on oral methadone but personally I refer to anyone addicted to any opioid a dopefiend,junky etc. Just an expression I use to separate opiate users from other drug users

OP: No. Opiates cause vocal hoarseness. I'm a ten year IV heroin vet and used to sing competitively. Not a good combination.

Hint: I don't sing anymore

I have to ask OP, how old are you? I'm having trouble believing an adult could be this naive. Opiates are not the key to making you a better singer or performer and the way you're talking about using them sounds like a good way to get hooked fast. The fact that the artists/writers you mentioned abused opiates seems more like coincidence than the drugs giving them the ability to create influential music. Stop romanticizing opiates before you end up with a habit you regret.

Yeah bingo. Take it from a junkie in their 30s, there is nothing romantic about 'banging dope' - in a fucking control room or anywhere else. Just, nothing.

Junkies are also largely hopeless and un-help-able, save for incarceration. Smoke some weed or do some speed or both before you sing maybe.

Junkies are also largely hopeless and un-help-able, save for incarceration. Smoke some weed or do some speed or both before you sing maybe.

So IV speed addicts are less inclined to be homeless then an opioid addict?most opioid addicts I know maintain relatively normal lives,its the crack smokers and speed freaks I typically encounter on the streets, as in living on the street....

I know a musician that tried this as his inspiration was a heavy user, everyone told him the same shit that ppl are saying here, he didn't listen.
It almost destroyed his career, sure the first couple weeks he thought he was on fire, we're talking weeks here if you are a touring musician, but was not even noticeable to the audience, but the guy continued and started bringing everyone down with his behavior. It's common knowledge for users that opiates/opiods can make normal ppl angry. Combine that with an ego, (you need one to be a lead singer/guitarist) and it is unbearable.

I think all drugs can be a muse of sorts, but addiction sure as fuck isn't, I think AIC's Dirt and Tripod are great albums that could relate to addiction, but look at the price.

Last edited:
I thought the OP was already addicted to opioids. I certainly wasn't saying to start using opioids to sing better.I meant that I personally have a 10 year habit and have only grown as a musician if anything.

So to the OP: if you aren't using dope then don't start.not worth getting a habit at all...The movies make it look romantic and like any relationship it is....at first,then that bitch shows her true colors and shows you who wears the pants...

I'm not addicted to anything, Ironically the only thing i used heavily was weed lol and i've tried mostly everything else.