• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Are Opiates good for singing?

AndrewLiam

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone had any experience with opiates and singing/performing? I believe I have real potential at it but would like to try something to practice(and not be bored) and free me up to try new things..as far as addiction i've always been good at stoping something before full on abuse so i'm not worried about that. Looking for any science on the matter or personal experience..Thanks!!:D

Terrible idea... MDMA or LSD could be useful, but shouldn't be relied on to sing as it should be your talent not just the drugs influence.

They make your voice hoarse & froggy.. so unless your specialty is Louis Armstrong songs I don't think this'll help with your audition or what ever.

As well versed in this playing music out. Opiates can give you confidence, BUT that is moot due to the fact that they numb your soul and the emotion that helps sell a performance. Alcohol at modest amounts is the only thing that might have ever helped my singing with the inhibition. Opiates also will stop your ability to write anything worthwhile ime

Im opiated all the time and sing and play guitar...but like am above poster said I play what most would describe as grunge rock, and I sing Layne Staley songs all the time lol.

But James Brown was on smack he sounded great.Kurt Cobain in his own way,countless vocalists have been addicted to prescription opioids as well, Ozzy Osbourne, Micheal Jackson. All great singers.

I find opiates good for singing

Opiates are good for singing, but they kill the ability to write.

^Sorry if I sound morbid, but bringing back good rock and making a heavy contribution to music sounds sweeter atm than living till 80

Last edited:
Im opiated all the time and sing and play guitar...but like am above poster said I play what most would describe as grunge rock, and I sing Layne Staley songs all the time lol.

But James Brown was on smack he sounded great.Kurt Cobain in his own way,countless vocalists have been addicted to prescription opioids as well, Ozzy Osbourne, Micheal Jackson. All great singers.

I find opiates good for singing

I love grunge rock, and I LOVE Layne Staley..Ironically he is one of my main inspirations to sing including Michael.. and Ozzy and James Brown I love also. I would want to try it because I've been stifled in the past artistically not because I lack any raw talent per se, just to open me up..Thanks for the reply!!

If you think opiates are going to open you up spiritually to be a better musician...you're fooling yourself.

If you think opiates are going to open you up spiritually to be a better musician...you're fooling yourself.

Thanks for reply, but how would I be fooling myself? How bout Ozzy? or Keith Moon or Janis Joplin. A lot of great writers have been on some sort of substance, Ernest Hemingway was a drunkard including Edgar Allan Poe, F Scott Fitzgerald and a personal favorite the great Hunter Thompson,who was on a plethora of shit...I guess I should have said "lighten up" rather than "open up" because I know theres really nothing spiritual about that type of drug..Also even though I drink I really hate it more than anything and want to cut out the crap for life, Opiates to me have actual use

Yes, Rip Layne.. his best performances were not while he was high as gas... if you suffer from stagefright then yes, they or alcohol or benzos can help you, but probably not the crowd. I do suffer from it, love to sing/karaoke, which presents a conundrum at times...

You're still FOOLING YOURSELF. All of those artists began their careers without the use of hard drugs.

HST in particular was never a fan of opiates, and ALL his drug use came after 10+ years of hard work (with only hard liquor as a crutch--try reading his letters from the AF days). Joplin wasn't on dope at the beginning with Big Brother, when she was actually respected.

There is a huge difference between beginning your career a little intoxicated and using drugs in order to make art possible for you.

But hey, I don't know you, so go right ahead, but you'd probably have more luck selling your soul to the devil for fame.

Well yeah I have played guitar for about 5 years, been singing for a year or so...and that's what I mean by using opiates I don't want to be smacked out of my gourd.. just a little because i have some emotional and physical pains..I really wouldn't want to get very high at all, similar to a couple glasses of wine

What's Gas?

It's a saying around here: "High as gas" probably originated from gasoline prices or maybe nitrous; I honestly have no idea its etymology. Means the same as "high as fuck" or "high as balls"; VERY HIGH.

You're still FOOLING YOURSELF. All of those artists began their careers without the use of hard drugs.

HST in particular was never a fan of opiates, and ALL his drug use came after 10+ years of hard work (with only hard liquor as a crutch--try reading his letters from the AF days). Joplin wasn't on dope at the beginning with Big Brother, when she was actually respected.

There is a huge difference between beginning your career a little intoxicated and using drugs in order to make art possible for you.

But hey, I don't know you, so go right ahead, but you'd probably have more luck selling your soul to the devil for fame.

Cobain was on Junk before Nirvana Broke,as was Layne with AIC....Also Layne admitted he was extremely high on heroin during the studio recordings of their best album "Dirt" the songs Down in a Hole and Angry Chair in particular... Also he was prepping and banging his dope in the control room, while Guitarist Jerry Cantrell suffered from severe Alprazolam dependence... Drugs personally have no effect on my art.whether I'm writing poetry,songs, making collages... Actually when feeling good if I Jam with my drummer and bassist off the Cuff that's when my coolest riffs seem to come out, as I don't look at the fretboard in a technical way, just let my fingers do what feels and sounds right.

I played a highschool graduation and received a standing ovation.I dosed 240 mgs of methadone and 10 mgs of Alprazolam one hour prior to the gig I sang good, my guitar solos were great (granted I stuck mostly to the comfort of the minor and major pentatonic scales,the easiest yet most rockin scales.)

Also Layne Staley is my Vocal Idol,amazing vibrato in his voice for a Seattle rocker and the vocal harmonies he and Jerry Cantrell created together ran from beautiful to haunting,and often both at the same time

Last edited:
Thanks guy^Yeah and i'm sure many many other artists were on some form of an opiate as well, as I said above i wouldn't want to start taking huge amounts of anything to get smacked..just a little to free me up a little, I don't like alcohol and would probably stop drinking altogether if I started anything else.. any way to safely take low doses on the cheap?