• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Are Microsoft Products really that bad?

Comon funk, how can u compare MS with AOL! aol is one anoying piece of crap!!!

but it really depends what you need a computer for!!!!

Graphics, video etc - gernally mac

all around performance and tweak in certain areas, MS

and if your a big'ish company or need to do lots of mathmaticle shite, Linux is the best for that....

if like going whats better between a Commercial airline, and a personal jet.

different toys for different boys!

That document on why I hate Microsoft was very interesting. It sums up a lot of my qualms with MS. MS is sloppy and lazy they need to make a new os that is not built on dos>3.1>95/NT>98>2000 code. They need competition with linux. There products are inferior because they don't even have to worry about the 1% of profits that linux is taking away from them.

if more popular programs would be available for linux, then the switch would not matter to me.

I am forced to use windows for things such as Reason 2 and Cubase etc.etc. and WINE or VMware won't support these apps so there is no getting around that problem at the moment.

For a pure "business workhorse" I can't seen to seperate myself from linux.

at the moment I use a dual boot system (2 physical hard drives):

disk 1: winxp and debian
disk 2: win2000 with vmware that runs knoppix

:D

and speaking of innovation.. i suppose linus and OSX are based on that innovative brand spanking new OS UNIX
Just because something has been around for 40 years in concept and philosophy, doesn't mean it's outdated. The internal combustion engine is a good example. (Of course, the modren engine is a vast improvement over the original designs, but that's not the point. I'm talking about the principles here.)

The principles of Unix are consistency, modularity, and one tool to do one job and nothing more. On top of this is a file-based device layer, a certain way of representing a filesystem, certain filesystem layouts and standardised tools (cp, mv, ls, ps, whoami, su, top, and all the other ones).

The fact that these 40-year-old principles are successfully used in Linux today shows how sound they are. You only have to play around with a Linux distro like Gentoo to see how innovative things are.

And in any case, by your arguments, WinXP is outdated as well, as most of the code is about 3 Windows releases old. However this is different. It's the principles and algorithms that persist under Linux, and they persist simply because they are efficient, because they are consistent, because they are an accepted standard.

Windows code persists because Microsoft knows it's cheaper to repackage than to rewrite.

Open-source codewriters don't get anything for their work, besides the satisfaction of creating a program, and the respect of their peers. The very reason they're doing it is to write good code; hence, they make it as good as possible.

Microsoft are in the business of making money. The fact that they write code to do it is incedental. The business comes before everything -- product quality and business ethics included. So whenever they can cut a corner, they do. Whenever they can get away with a makeover instead of code refinement, they do it.

So, what I'm trying to say is that the presistence of design principles through time is a good thing (as long as the original principles are sound, which in the case of Unix, they are). The persistence of buggy code and badly thought out or nonexistent principles, hidden by endless interface redesigning, is not.

Linux is an innovative OS based on the Unix design, which has stood the test of time.
Windows is a tool that helps Microsoft make money through MS Office, and does what it's supposed to do very well -- that being, make it as hard as possible for the end-user to use alternative software and continue to share data with other MS users.

yeah Word is a real piece of shit 8) =D
Yeah, Word IS a real piece of shit. The amount of time and work I lost due to Word crashing and behaving insonsistently, before I switched to Linux... :\

Ask any programmer. MS Word is an abomination.

I am forced to use windows for things such as Reason 2 and Cubase etc.etc. and WINE or VMware won't support these apps so there is no getting around that problem at the moment.
Yep, you're right there. At the moment there's not much support for high-end AV software under Linux.

Although, things might be changing -- there's some promising software under development at the moment.

And, although the software support isn't there, the fact is that Linux is the best platform for it. Its scheduling and I/O are far, far superior to that of Windows.

I think what Linux needs most is a good packaging standard that works across as many distros as possible. I love Linux, but I shouldn't have to compile a program myself just to use it, or search all over the place in the hopes that somebody happened to make an RPM of it or something. Aside from that, though, I love it.

microsoft is really evil.. they murder innovative, young programmers so they can steal their code! i know it's true because i saw it in a documentary once..

oh wait.. that was the movie Antitrust.. nevermind..

absentminded said:
Yeah, Word IS a real piece of shit. The amount of time and work I lost due to Word crashing and behaving insonsistently, before I switched to Linux... :\

Ask any programmer. MS Word is an abomination.

/me asks self: "is word an abomination?"

i dont think so

ok there you go :)

anyways.. the time i spent due to configuring linux to print in color made me glad that all i need to do in windows is plug the printer in. i know how to configure it myself (yep i remember the days of irqs and dmas and com ports and lpts instead of the nice ups of today) but i'm pretty glad to do it the easy way.

so what word processor do you use in linux? i'll bet it supports the latest word document format.. otherwise you cant read the documents most people use and what would be the point of that?

and on the point about how linux is based on unix.. it's just the response to people who dis windows for being based on dos. but it hardly seems innovative to port a really old os to a new system =D

i agree with you on Word, but its popularity isn't why its good... though it is the reason why all other Office Suites support Office files..

^^ no i dont think word is good because it is popular.. im just pointing out another reason to use it, and also that even when you use linux you'll still end up having to use ms documents hehe.

What exactly was inferior about Corel's Suite package? Other than they didn't have microsoft's marketing power...

i havent used word perfect in a long time honestly so i couldnt tell you... i think the last wordperfect i used was a DOS version hehe.

im not trying to say other companies arent as good as MS.. im just trying to get to the bottom of the anti MS sentiment. i think it just comes from people not liking the way MS does its business.. this dislike bleeds into their reviews of products.. just like no matter what Bush does, such as lie about it being the intelligence community's fault, I'll find some reason to dis it.

Last edited:
your dead on about MS's business... If Gates was a nerd pumping out material from a basement somewhere, we'd probably all think it was the shit..

i don't know about that - bill gates has been disliked by the computer community since the 70s. it's not like people started disliking him after he became rich and successful - there has always been a general dislike for him and microsoft.

(personally i dislike paul allen more - he's the guy who left microsoft and started ticketmaster)

Microsoft are in the business of making money. The fact that they write code to do it is incedental. The business comes before everything -- product quality and business ethics included. So whenever they can cut a corner, they do. Whenever they can get away with a makeover instead of code refinement, they do it.

Just because Microsoft's aim is to make money doesnt mean dont they try to deliver the best product to the consumer...its called keeping the edge. and people that work there probably have pride in their work just like the geek on the linux box.

Open source is a disadvantage in my mind its having no rules at all anarchy on a computing scale. You have to speak 50 different languages just to understand 'hello', who has the time for that?

who can honestly say that running a windows network is not one of the best options avaible...advantage - standards baby standards!!

so what word processor do you use in linux? i'll bet it supports the latest word document format.. otherwise you cant read the documents most people use and what would be the point of that?
I use one of OpenOffice Writer, AbiWord, or KWord. All three can import and export MS Word documents, so interoperability with the MS-using world isn't a problem.

and on the point about how linux is based on unix.. it's just the response to people who dis windows for being based on dos. but it hardly seems innovative to port a really old os to a new system
I just wrote a huge post explaining this. Please read it.

It's the principles of design that have been carried from Unix to Linux. That's a good thing, because it brings consistency.

It's the dirty, buggy code that's been repackaged and patched up that produces new versions of Windows. That's a bad thing, because it doesn't guarantee consistency. The whole process is half-arsed.

Charlie Brown said:
Open source is a disadvantage in my mind its having no rules at all anarchy on a computing scale. You have to speak 50 different languages just to understand 'hello', who has the time for that?
That's a completely invalid description of the opensource model. You demonstrate very clearly how little you know about the opensource world.

I recommend browsing through the Linux Kernel Mailing List archives, for one, to see how well the opensource process works.

who can honestly say that running a windows network is not one of the best options avaible...advantage - standards baby standards!!
What you refer to as 'standards' are Microsoft's distortion of the real standards. They do this to impede the ability of competing products to work with their own, forcing everyone to follow suit and use their products.

Instead of making these uninformed claims, try searching the web and learning a bit about Linux and Open Source first. You'll probably be surprised at how good it is.

"Instead of making these uninformed claims, try searching the web and learning a bit about Linux and Open Source first. You'll probably be surprised at how good it is."

Im sure Linux is good actually positive, but I also think Microsoft is better!...

frizzantik said:
^^ could elaborate on the govt tracking stuff?

Ok, it goes like this, that IE and all other programs work in concert. They also use pretty permanaent storage of what you do, unless you wipe and reformat. Mozilla, and Opera and Galeon, are easier to wipe histories and shit. Basically, It's sloppy programming.

They AREN'T using it to track us, but it is FAR easier with MS products, because of all the loose ends and shit in it, and how everything has to work in absolute concert(registry etc).