• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Are Microsoft Products really that bad?

I have to format this weekend. My frames in UT2004 are getting worse and worse. Plus I just installed the Windows XP SP2 BETA. I fucking hate it. It is more "secure" supposedly (there is a system tray icon that turns into a red X if you aren't using a firewall and antivirus!) but in my experience it just slowed my gaming computer down to a crawl. It took 20-30 mins to uninstall. Then the second the uninstall completed I got a new worm. It was either the new msblast or the other one that has been going around lately.
Anyway, my fixblast and microsoft msblast removal program didn't work at all. Eventually I stopped the worm by searching for the offending process (svchost.exe) in regedit and removing a suspisious entry that caused a version of svchost.exe to hog 99% of my cpu!

If linux could run every program windows could... linux distributers would be rich.

Those who think Windows is great just because it doesen't crash just don't get it. If you have installed and uninstalled 100-200 programs your registry and windows will get all fucked up. If you have 30 gigs of mp3s and 20 of video and 70 of games/programs you can't just let your computer get slower and slower just because "It doesen't crash"

Windows gets corrupt over time.
I'm gonna go format right now...

ashaman said:
Can anyone point a finger to useful linux information sites, as well as a conversion from windows to linux for your average computer user? ACtually, im probably below average now, but would like to learn some more.

If you want to get a feel of what Linux is like and you have a cd burner check out Knoppix.

http://www.knoppix.net/

Knoppix is a linux distribution that boots off a cd, automatically configures itself, and starts Linux. It's a great way to get a taste of Linux without having to risk messing up your computer. Keep in mind however that since Knoppix loads of a cd it won't come close to the performance of a Linux install on a hard drive.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or post it in here.

The problem with Microsoft is it focuses on keeping it's leverage over other competition as opposed to software quality. Microsoft is keeping the software industry from evolving and advancing. Who knows what we would be able to do today if Microsoft never existed.

Prince_Albert said:
If it wasn't for m$, ciomputers wouldn't have spread as they have. Sure, their os migh suck at times, but at least they did got to bring a pc to my bedroom.

Actually it was Apple that made "windows." Microsoft "stole" the idea though and put itself in a position where it could hold on to as much power as possible. If microsoft didn't exist chances are you would have a better and cheaper pc right now. Think about it you have to pay like an extra $100 when you buy a computer for windows. Most the time you do not even get a choice of whether you even want it or not!

Charlie Brown said:
Just because Microsoft's aim is to make money doesnt mean dont they try to deliver the best product to the consumer...its called keeping the edge. and people that work there probably have pride in their work just like the geek on the linux box.

Open source is a disadvantage in my mind its having no rules at all anarchy on a computing scale. You have to speak 50 different languages just to understand 'hello', who has the time for that?

who can honestly say that running a windows network is not one of the best options avaible...advantage - standards baby standards!!

Keeping the edge isn't neccasary when you are constantly bankrupting and manipulating your competition. Edge is Microsofts last resort, it digs into their profit.

Open Source in my opinion is at an advantage. For one people that contribute to Open Source usually do it out of love for programming. They love it so much that they feel everyone should be able to get it for free. In my experience things done for your own pleasure as opposed to for money usually have more creative force behind them. When contributing to Open Source the contributor usually works on a small part of the bigger system. That means that person can focus and refine whatever he is working on. The man power and creative energy behind linux supercedes the monetary potential Microsoft may have. Give linux sometime it'll get more and more refined and integrated.

Linux vs. Windows goes beyond what operating system is better. It comes down to morality. There are people that see information as a tool to make profit and gain power, they use that gained profit and power to restrict information and hold on to their power.
Then there are people that believe all information is free and no one can own it, and everyone has a god given right to information.

So what will win out in the end? The idealism of Linux vs The materialism of Microsoft. Which one is a more powerful force? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
yougene said:
Actually it was Apple that made "windows." Microsoft "stole" the idea though

[pedant on]

actually, it was xerox.

:p

[pedant off]

DigitalDuality said:
Personally i prefer Mozilla.. but Google's Toolbar on IE is great..

I know its a bit late to reply to this and you've probably discovered already, but....

...you can get the Google Toolbar for Mozilla too. I have it for Firefox. You can download it from the extensions page. If you're using Firefox, its http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/

alasdairm said:

That's a good read for anyone interested in the differences in politics and mindset between the open source world (linux) and the closed (MS) world.

Eric Raymond is a bit of an evangelist... nowhere near Stallman, but driven enough in his own right.

indeed. i used to work in high tech and 'the cathedral and the bazaar' is definitely on the required reading list...

alasdair

Yep, damn good article that one.

I read it about six months ago I think -- might be time to go over it again ;)

In the next little while, I'm going to try to do some more writing -- articles on this sort of thing. If anyone's interested, I'll post some links here :)

Don't hold your breath for em though. :D

All I have to say is today I was forced to use my families old windows machine for the first time in months and it was absolutely horrible. It defniitely confirmed for me that OS X is about 1000000 times better in every way (except for compatability - but its a small price to pay for the benefits).

Wow I didn't know Jack Heror(sp) wrote that. It says Eric S. Raymond wrote the linux article though.