• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Social Are Asexual people seriously considered part of the LGBT+ community?

somnilicious

Bluelighter
Like the title says or is it more of a technical grouping? I know most people don't really go around labeling themselves or maybe they do. Like are there many asexual people at LGBTQ+ gatherings or rallys? Are there any asexual people here who consider themselves part of the movement?

Thank you to everyone who answered. I would have to say that I have now definitely developed asexuality. I realized that asexuality is infact considered LGBTQ+. I wouldn't really consider myself part of the movement so I definitely understand when @mal3volent says he doesn't really have anything to relate to the other groupings, which is why I asked.

I had at onetime been hetrosexual but a combination of events, social choice, psychological manifestations and methadone has caused me to become asexual. I am firmly asexual. I could become heterosexual again in the future. I kind of doubt it but I'm leaving myself open to the idea. A part of me wants an emotional connection with somebody.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who answered. I would have to say that I have now definitely developed asexuality. I realized that asexuality is infact considered LGBTQ+. I wouldn't really consider myself part of the movement so I definitely understand when @mal3volent says he doesn't really find anything to relate to the other groupings, which is why I asked.

I had at onetime been hetrosexual but a combination of events, psychological manifestations and methadone has caused me to become asexual.
if you go to LGBT centers or pride, you will be welcomed with open arms, most everyone is, they have a niche for all, even straights that are supportive

if you go to LGBT centers or pride, you will be welcomed with open arms, most everyone is, they have a niche for all, even straights that are supportive
There's even homophobes saying we are going to hell on megaphones at most prides I've been to. Weird kink, but gotta cater to all colors of pocket bandana.

To all the questions?
I think the expansion and the acceptance and openness of rallies is a more recent thing and a lot of people who are part of the LGBTQ+ (Especially the T and +) spectrum are just beginning to maybe explore and understand themselves and become more open about it. Not to say this is a new thing, but that it’s only kind of started to be shared on social media and people who wouldn’t normally get a chance to explore (maybe because of secluded upbringing, etc.), now have a chance to understand peculiarities about themselves they may have not been able to understand previously.

I didn’t realize that I was most likely asexual until recently and I’m 30.

I don’t really participate as a “member” but more of an ally when attending or participating in anything. I feel as though if a person wants to take a more active role in anything then they are of course included and “part” of it. Its who they are and however they choose to label themselves then that’s how they are. It’s really up to you how you want to classify yourself and how you want to participate in things relating to being part of the LGBTQ+ crowd.

I consider asexuals part of the community. Anyone who identifies as a sexuality which is not heterosexuality is, in my opinion.
Not to derail the thread, but curious about whether or not you would consider polyamorous heterosexuals to be a part of it.

Not to derail the thread, but curious about whether or not you would consider polyamorous heterosexuals to be a part of it.

Interesting question. I'd have to say it depends.

Are all parties in the relationship together? I have an ex friend who was in a poly relationship but he just dated one of the girls, who also dated the other girl. I'd call the girls LGBT+ but not the guy. I still think it has to break heterosexual barriers. So if they're inviting new partners of any gender into the equation I'd consider them part of the community but that would really only make them bi/pansexual anyway. Not a new term.

Does that make sense?

When first exploring (the label of) asexuality, I definately had a good amount of discussions that could be summed up to "oh it's likely just a phase" or "I'm sure you haven't met the right person yet."

I do feel asexuality doesn't compare 1 to 1 with being gay or bisexual, those are x axis of the kinsey scale traits (even though asexuality is on that axis as an x). I feel that scale needs another axis which corresponds to sexual drive, and asexuality would just be the far tail of that distribution.

I often wonder if hypersexuality will be added to the lgbt+ continuum.

When first exploring (the label of) asexuality, I definately had a good amount of discussions that could be summed up to "oh it's likely just a phase" or "I'm sure you haven't met the right person yet."

I do feel asexuality doesn't compare 1 to 1 with being gay or bisexual, those are x axis of the kinsey scale traits (even though asexuality is on that axis as an x). I feel that scale needs another axis which corresponds to sexual drive, and asexuality would just be the far tail of that distribution.

I often wonder if hypersexuality will be added to the lgbt+ continuum.
The inclusion is for strength in numbers to strengthen the movement, one of the reasons BLM includes LGBTQ+ and the ever nebulous POC term in their mission but what happens when we're all just a bunch of misfits that no longer relate to each other, every Individual a minority unto themselves? Celebrating our individual differences is the destruction of civilization. A majority of minorities no longer able to find common ground or able to relate to one another.

I also wonder if my asexuality is a phase but 17yrs after my girlfriend dying in my arms and for which I'm probably partially to blame I have to say it's probably permanent.

Last edited: