• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anyway to get Vyvanse to work with Rexulti?

Mrmask

Greenlighter
I know they cancel each other out but is there a trick or another drug to add or take more, etc to get the vyvanse to work again? I take them for BPII and ADHD

Last edited:
If I understand it correctly, rexulti is similar to abilify, so it will cancel out a lot of the euphoric effects of amphetamines. I haven't heard of any tricks or anything to make it work, it will always have a diminished effect.

Apparently magnesium is something that can help reduce your tolerance to certain substances, so maybe that'd be an idea to get more of an effect from the vyvanse? You could also think about an amino acid that supplements your dopamine levels, like L-Tyrosine or similar. But then again, elevated dopamine levels are thought to be involved in certain mental illnesses that rexulti is meant to treat. So maybe not really something to trifle with if you're being treated for a mood disorder or schizophrenia.

But generally speaking I think what you have is what you get.

The only way would be to stop the antipsychotic, which I cannot recommend. Chances are youre taking that med for a good reason. Its better to take your meds and not be high on meth. Im coming from experience.

Contra what many people seem to believe, many people successfully treat their ADHD with stimulants while being on dopamine antagonist antipsychotics. This is especially so with Abilify. It seems the mechanism for action for euphoric effects is slightly different to the mechanism of action for focus and concentration.

OP was not clear whether his problem is not getting a high from Vyvanse or it not relieving his ADHD symptoms.

Contra what many people seem to believe, many people successfully treat their ADHD with stimulants while being on dopamine antagonist antipsychotics. This is especially so with Abilify. It seems the mechanism for action for euphoric effects is slightly different to the mechanism of action for focus and concentration.

OP was not clear whether his problem is not getting a high from Vyvanse or it not relieving his ADHD symptoms.
My bad. It's for ADHD

My bad. It's for ADHD
So you’ve already started noticing your ADHD symptoms are worse again after starting on Rexulti, whereas Vyvance was treating them well?

Or is this hypothetical?

If you have noticed the problem, then your best bet is to talk to your psych and see about switching one or the other drug for something in same class maybe but without the interaction.

For example I used dexamfetamine (stim) with Abilify (AP) sucessfully to treat both ADHD and intrusive thoughts for years. Abilify can be both a dopamine agonist and antagonist so it interacts a little different with stims than other APs.

What you don’t want to be doing is throwing some non-scripted drug into the mix before trying something new with your psych. Much advice here is likely to be about getting a high rather than just relieving your ADHD symptoms - so consider that when evaluating it.

So you’ve already started noticing your ADHD symptoms are worse again after starting on Rexulti, whereas Vyvance was treating them well?

Or is this hypothetical?

If you have noticed the problem, then your best bet is to talk to your psych and see about switching one or the other drug for something in same class maybe but without the interaction.

For example I used dexamfetamine (stim) with Abilify (AP) sucessfully to treat both ADHD and intrusive thoughts for years. Abilify can be both a dopamine agonist and antagonist so it interacts a little different with stims than other APs.

What you don’t want to be doing is throwing some non-scripted drug into the mix before trying something new with your psych. Much advice here is likely to be about getting a high rather than just relieving your ADHD symptoms - so consider that when evaluating it.
I took extra vyvanse(120mg) instead of my normal dose of 40mg and you can feel like 50% of the effects with the regular dose of 2mg of rexulti, so it seems like it reacts to my body like a tolerance where it might get to a dangerous point. Gotta weigh out the benefits as rexulti is the only atypical antipsychotic that really affected me. Seems like my choice is no BP meds or no ADHD meds. My dr doesn't know a thing about the canceling effect.

I took extra vyvanse(120mg) instead of my normal dose of 40mg and you can feel like 50% of the effects with the regular dose of 2mg of rexulti, so it seems like it reacts to my body like a tolerance where it might get to a dangerous point. Gotta weigh out the benefits as rexulti is the only atypical antipsychotic that really affected me. Seems like my choice is no BP meds or no ADHD meds. My dr doesn't know a thing about the canceling effect.
I found a similar thing with meth and abilify. I could take doses of meth that should have sent me to the ER while I was on regular Abilify.I always wondered about whether the neurotoxic and cardiotoxic effects were still occurring even though the high itself seemed to be cancelled out.

Or is this hypothetical?

May I ask when you took your abilify and dexamfetamine each day? I feel like it wasn't blocking cigarettes since I slept in a little before taking it.

I took Abilify at about 7 AM every day and dex at 7 AM, 11 AM, and 3 PM