Anyone into classical music?

im no where near as educated as you guys on this,,,

but, they are two very different composers, i mean, me as a laymen discern by region and era; the influences/expectancies of/put upon composers was very different from one to the next.

shostakovich is a top example for seeming redundant scales, broken melodies, pointless random fugues... etc. heheh
this scale structure though, i have electronic music; mostly "noise/leftfield" that utilize this structure, as well as indian, middle-eastern, early asian music. lots of jazz begins randomly this way, but the dots and lines slowly do come together; miles davis bitches brew is the best example i can think of for jazz ;)

it is of ones perception though, it is "abstract" to a point.
personally i would have to go with rachmaninoff, for his solo piano composers.
denying chopin though, saying he is lesser then near any composer is crazy, heh, i cant imagine anyone believing that.

i do believe that this "frilly" part of chopins and others music came from the era, and the nobles who wanted to hear how he made music the way they liked/perceived it, plus the instruments were changing, and so the new characteristics of them were being tried.
with shostakovich you, or i rather can feel the cold brick and earth, darkness, & oppression.

Rachmaninov does it in style though. :D

Of course this thread needs a massive YMMV, I don't mean to offend with anything I say, and it's of course only my own opinion, which is somewhat more infallible than the Pope's.

Rach writes for the orchestra much much better than Chopin ever could. He's not a master to the same extent as Ravel or Debussy, but he certainly knows his way around better than Chopin.

You'd be surprised though, I've got loads of friends reading/that read music at Cambridge that I met on a choral course, and a substantial portion of them seem to agree. If anything, it was them that brought me round, I used to be a little bit Chopin obsessed, but it all seems a little turgid now.

Don't get me wrong, I'll pop on a piece I've played every now and again, but it seems more for old times sake than the music itself. It just makes me wonder, is your musical background (I'm making somewhat of an assumption here and guessing you play an instrument) choral? You might actually be on to something with the inherent disconnect, but I'm wondering if it might be found more broadly across singers rather than orchestral/solo instrumental performers.

Food for thought. Ho hum.

No, my only formal musical background is piano. It's the only instrument I've played and wrote for lol. The majority of the classical I listen to is piano solo, and generally the orchestral pieces I listen to are piano concertos (there are a few exceptions of course)... it doesn't seem too surprising to me that one of the premier solo piano composers appeals to me the most

Hahaha. That probably explains it.

Played much Ravel? Know Gaspard de la nuit? La Mer by Debussy? Messiaen? Please tell me you like messiaen, I'll love you forever ...

Am hooked to Mahlers Titan at the moment. More in a fun way, it's really quite a funny piece of music and I keep on coming back to it.

Has Mahler been used in films? I can't get rid of the feeling that I know quite a few things from Titan out of films. Or maybe I am just imagining that. Somehow this one sounds like a soundtrack to me. Maybe the film to it exists just in my head...

hmm
titan, as in one of saturns moons?

if so im going to have to check that out for sure,
i use certain classical pieces,,, to help disassociate out of
pain, when its enough for the drugs not to help...
:\
and other healthy tactics, one of which is imagining titan suspended in
a beyond "cold"~"infinite vacuum"; trapped, being pulled around saturn for so many 10's of 100's of thousands of our years, so far.

Last edited:
Wikipedia says about Titan

The Symphony No. 1 in D major by Gustav Mahler was composed between 1884 and 1888. The work is sometimes known as the "Titan", due to Mahler originally conceiving it as a tone poem based loosely on Jean Paul's novel Titan. It was composed while Mahler was second conductor at the Leipzig Opera in Leipzig, Germany. The symphony was premiered at the Hungarian Royal Opera House in autumn 1889. However, because of its containing many elements which strayed from the norms audiences and critics were used to at the time, the first performance was largely a failure. Mahler highly revised the symphony and performed it five years later in Hamburg, where it was much more of a success.

Apparently not because of the moon Titan....still nice though :)

hmm, do a search eh??

im sure it is still nice ;) and will check it out anyway.
i can imagine just the same.
:)

BumP

&

wow...

Auerbach - Prelude No. 16 in B-flat minor
just found found him and im blown away,, out of this world.
the above is from opus 41, have listened to in entirety, and some selections repetitively.

this, is what i wasted so much time and money on, abusing fucking cocaine trying to feel for soooo long... lol

Gurrelieder by Schoenberg. Oh my God.

"It's the love child of Mahler and Ravel, filtered through a Wagnerian prism with 10 horns and an orgasm in every bar" said one of my friends.

"You will love it" ... he was right.

Subdivide the basses into 6 parts, fuck yes Schoenberg. It even has the spoony scherzo-like bit, just like a Mahler symphony!

^
okay.!

::takes advice::
Gurrelieder by Schoenberg next then.

listening now to Pasternak, again. i really like the second half, im thinking this will be a common play.
;-)
-Piano Sonata in B minor (Part 1/2)
-Piano Sonata in B minor (Part 2/2)

i was imagining the Auerbach prelude above earlier as if each ' note/key ' and scale of as an orchestra section, and the frenzy of the conductor trying to cue and level each section... it was an awesome sight in my mind,,, loveit!

am infatuated with the bellow... oh' my heart bleeds for this song, ;) takes me away right away...
chasing mirror-eyed snow-foxes into spiraling-ethereal-tunnels,, until i picture myself sleeping
<3

and there are 6 more i havent even peaked a listen with yet -- the discussion about the song is interesting, and relative in other places as is on youtube. i dont quiet understand; what i gather is that the first 3/7 songs are commonly found as sheet music; listed as Gnossiesse "Trois". yet there are 7,
the last 4 i am sure are Notated by ''admirers''(if i may) but not -Jean-Yves Thibaudet's originals.

Jean-Yves Thibaudet - Sweden & Satie 4th Gnossienne

Edit:
listened to "The prelude to part 1 of Schoenberg's Gurrelieder. Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Sir Simon Rattle, 2001"
and that was beautiful, i dont get into orchestras much, but that was very different.
Extra-Terrestrial like, or something... +1 for, hah, the ' prelude to part 1 '.

=D got the ' SWR Symphony Orchestra Baden-Baden und Freiburg ' performance, aamaazing =D
... must have this play bill in hand, and my butt in seat o be blown away by this in person.
+++turns up louder.

Last edited:
Henryk Szeryng plays Tzigane by Ravel
@3:30!

^this^performance, and him: Szeryng... make me sick for another violin/viola, im just speechless... the quick 'pull-backs' of the bow
- just brushing the bow-hair with enough pressure to make that thing sing*... so precise, and devastatingly calculating.

-no an arthritic body dosnt need that aperture, all day as it was ;-) and would be-
the piano is a different story, i can do this ;-p to an extent.

this man has crushed my concept of a persons consistent, persistent mastery with any instrument or en-devour of ability, perhaps; or maybe im just fucking- smitten by this and any other of his performances.

I'm a huge fan and advocate of classical music. Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Wagner, Hindenmith, Vivaldi, you really can't go wrong with any of them. A great classical album (which I'm listening to right now) is Wynton Marsalis's Carnaval. It is all classical pieces that feature the cornet, and nobody can play it quite like Wynton.

A friend and I listened to Mahler 5, Rachmaninov 3 & 4, Daphnis et Chloe by Ravel and La Mer by Debussy last night.

I can't speak for him (as I haven't spoken to him since we've been sober) but I was taken on the most incredible journey round my mind. At one point I was stuck in a different dimension with a different body, knowing a different existence. Leaping through time as if I were running over hurdles.

Classical music + psychedelics = ultimate win.

I was a little scared, 2C-E can be catastrophically introspective at high doses I find, and I was concerned when I first toyed with the idea of classical music (we listened to Adagietto from Mahler 5 first), that 8 minutes of soul crushingly depressing music might be too much to handle, even given the orgasmic climaxes which follow.

My fears were unfounded. We let Mahler take us even further from reality than the 25mg 2C-E had done, and embraced the psychedelia to it's fullest. The last minute and 15 seconds of the Adagietto blew me away. I was squirming and rolling on the carpet as if I'd taken a high dose of MDMA. The pleasure was as much as I could bear, rushes pulsed through my body, I could feel the 2C-E working on my serotonin system.

Sorry, this is almost turning into a TR. My point is, like with most psychedelics, it wasn't the drug which did this to me, the drug merely unlocked a truth I've known for a long time. It was the music which was truly significant. Never underestimate the power of classical music.

^the first time i heard a Shostakovitch Quartet on LSD, i was astounding as to why i had never done so before.!
my brother and friend came in from out-side, they were tripping as well, but stopped in their steps and made these sour faces, puzzled and annoyed... i stopped tripping years before picking up a violin,, i just couldnt imagine, feeling it would be amazing enough;-)

t/y t/y for the Gurrelieder suggestion:-D back a few weeks. so amazing, am serious about finding a performance of this, at some point in my life, i must!

#'s 3, 12, & 21 are nothing less then masterful and beyond, but the whole piece in entirety is an amazing experience, just being 'on' the floor listening is- hahah

Could listen to Sergei Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet until the end of time.