Anyone into classical music?

Seigneur, je vous en prie - Poulenc

From the Quatres Petites prieres de saint francois D'assisi.

Sex on toast was how it was first described to me.

Tenor top A belted out, followed immediately with a silent top A in the next phrase. Such control, such beauty, such a Poulenc piece.

If you've got Spotify listen to this recording ...

http://open.spotify.com/track/5WI7VaXVoGGh0ZejidoRu8

If not, try and find a good recording :)

I only recently started listening to classical music. I love getting high and trying to interpret the feeling of the music without any words, plus some of it is just really intricate and mind blowing

I don't really know a lot of composers but I do like clint mansell And peter nashell

Is it true that playing classical music to a child can make them smarter or something?

I just love it!<3

I've always been going to watch classical concertos and I remember my doctor at the program I was attending told me 'are these dudes taking any drugs to perform?' haha
I've watched recently Georges Pretre...

Some of my favs are Brahms and Schumman

I also love Bach, though not really into that very romantic stuff

What I mostly listen to are more modern kinda things like Morton Feldman, Luigi Nono or Scriabin and Barber

I just love it!<3

I've always been going to watch classical concertos and I remember my doctor at the program I was attending told me 'are these dudes taking any drugs to perform?' haha
I've watched recently Georges Pretre...

Some of my favs are Brahms and Schumman

I also love Bach, though not really into that very romantic stuff

What I mostly listen to are more modern kinda things like Morton Feldman, Luigi Nono or Scriabin and Barber

Schumann and Brahms were two of the leading composers of the romantic period - perhaps you're talking earlier, like Chopin/Liszt?

Incidentally, I find most Bach pieces a bit stiff and mechanical, often times the progressions irk me for some reason... they all sound very medieval which has its place in my repertoire but doesn't inspire me too often.

yes, i go for the medieval / Elizabethan stuff usually - i see what you mean about 'stiff and mechanical', but this can also be some of the charm if you can feel it as 'minimal precision and execution' maybe ...

hehe-this is whats so great about variety -
and free-speech! to each their own
;-)

Any classical lovers here? I've been playing for 8 years and no other composer, or musician, has managed to move me to the extent that Chopin does. He combines so much - structure, improvisation, atmosphere, sentimentality... all in a perfect synthesis.

specifically, his piano concertos (especially no. 1 in e minor) are incredible. I am always confounded as to why there is no discussion about these - they tend to be completely under the radar, when in fact in my opinion they (almost) hold a candle to the greatest chopin pieces, the ballades.

but anyway, I'm curious to hear anything you guys have to say about classical. I also appreciate some baroque (the occasional handel, a bit of Bach..), some classical era (mostly Beethoven, some Clementi), and even some impressionist.

What do you guys think?

I agree with everything you've said.

Rachmaninoff, too.

I also think Chopin is greatly undercredited when it comes to the level of innovation he put into his works and the instrument in general - his texturing was truly unique and incredible in many ways. Take his Ballades 2 and 3 - the coda of no. 2 features a series of descending chords, pounded in a way that evokes imagery of crashing waterfalls, raging nature... the section immediately preceding the coda of no. 3 uses the deep base tones in such a unique way - it creates a reverberating ominous feeling.

these kinds of innovations are to me much more significant and interesting than those brought upon by such figures as schoenberg and even Scriabin (though I do quite like some scriabin) with their weird ventures into atonality.