• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals Anyone Here Tried "Mad Honey"?

Yes.

Bees carry very little nectar in them, so the effects of any plant based compound that accumulates in honey would not be felt by smoking a bee. Also bee venom is peptide based which means that it would be totally degraded by smoking.

See: placebo effect.
I agree with Yes, it is far fetched, was only a joke.

But I dispute your conclusion and logic. Maybe not your logic. But I strongly rebut the suggestion that those kids got extremely wasted from smoking a dead bee, before my couzins eyes, by placebo and nothing else.

I took lots of acid trips, MDMA pills and other drugs in my life, which were underdosed or simply dud. I expected effects, got none.

Placebo has never overidden the plain laws of physics, chemistry and biology for me when it comes to substance use.

Sure placebo is a real phenomenon.

But I don't think, without having smoked a bee oneself, seen it done, or heard reports of it, that you can plainly say....according to that logic- peptide smoke degradation....that it was only placebo.

These kids allegedly looked humungously wasted, eyes and facial expressions completely gone. From the emphatic description my couzins shared with me, I don't think there's any way it was placebo.

Just more to it perhaps. The bong smoking of bees has not been openly scientifically extolled and examined after all. I mean, apart from my account above, have you ever heard another tale or mention of bees being smoked for psychoactive purposes?

If your answer is no, I would say- exactly!

With respect of course. I just don't support your purely logical dismissal of the idea it might actually work as a powerful psychedellic or intoxicant, by whichever mechanism.

I was not suggesting at all either that it had anything to do with nectar inside the bee.

Last edited:
Hi. I can't comment on the honey...but I can tell you, my younger years, my country couzins were hardcore bucket-bag pot smokers.

Mainly clean green hash back then, Redseal and Goldseal Black.

One day, they came across a group of youngsters, in county like lol!

These kids had a dead bea. They smoked it in a bong.

My Couzins swore and phatic Lee they have never seen anybody so fucked up.

So I think there is a chance that combusting the poison within the Bea could be very psychoactive and hallucinogenic.

Lol, street corner dealers- 10 dead wasps for a fiver!

Is that a ridiculously far stretch?

Oh man, that's gnarly! Hahaha!

Is there any reason to think that this is any less toxic than rhododendron itself? Is there a lower concentration of grayanotoxins in the honey that the plant itself?

From what I've read, the honey and the rhododendron plants are comparable in toxicity. I guess people simply prefer to eat the honey rather than going straight to the source (??) would be my guess. That being said, the concentration of grayanotoxins DOES FLUCTUATE depending on season. Red honey made in the spring is considerably stronger than red honey made during the rest of the year. This is because the rhododendron plants have the most pollen in the spring.

I think I'm so drawn to this red honey because I really enjoy drugs with a strong cultural element...

From what I've read, the honey and the rhododendron plants are comparable in toxicity. I guess people simply prefer to eat the honey rather than going straight to the source (??) would be my guess. That being said, the concentration of grayanotoxins DOES FLUCTUATE depending on season. Red honey made in the spring is considerably stronger than red honey made during the rest of the year. This is because the rhododendron plants have the most pollen in the spring.

I think I'm so drawn to this red honey because I really enjoy drugs with a strong cultural element...
I think if I were to ever do anything with rhododendron, which is not bloody likely, I'd use a fraction of a small, single leave from the rhododendron in my yard. I'm happy to let others assay this for sure. Maybe a bucket list thing like IV DMT...

I think if I were to ever do anything with rhododendron, which is not bloody likely, I'd use a fraction of a small, single leave from the rhododendron in my yard. I'm happy to let others assay this for sure. Maybe a bucket list thing like IV DMT...

IV DMT...?
My dude. Surely you jest.
Jesus Christ on a cracker.
I can't tell if you're puttin' on the Ritz,
but you are one seriously silly bitch...

I greet your ghost with the appropriate doses of fear and respect--and while there is absolutely no combination of circumstances on God's green Earth which would necessitate my present incarnation to SLAM THE GOD MOLECULE--unlike you, apparently, you gloriously sick individual, you delirious and delightfully depraved window-licker--I'll will confess the shamanic-money-shot of my dreams is as follows: if I were able to smoke a lung-load in triplicate of DMT immediately after slamming one of my imfamous but exceedingly rare shots of soy sauce--AKA keep on rockin' in the Fentanyl-free world--hella rare, greaser hair, in 2020 thanks to our sponsors, a delightfully old-school independent-yet-Zeta-adjacent mom-and-pop op--I anticipate, with sweating palms and a drop in blood pressure-- this milkshake brings all da ancestral to da yard. I try not to get my hopes up but I do envision this particular flavor leaves an aftertaste of God and the Devil at the back of the tongue.

You have a rhododendron in your yard? How neat!

FYI TL;DR--

(I'm pretty sure, at this point in my research that I would find the effects of Mad Honey to be in pretty POOR TASTE to say the least. Deliriants are pretty much major suckage and can kiss my taint. Logically I know this...AND YET: I am such a gosh-darn sucker and also a slut for shamanistic soul food--the legends draw me in--I want to know what all the BUZZ is about--it's getting to the point where I'm ready to endure an unnecessarily LOUD and uncalled for, full-retard-strength ass-flogging delivered by the punishing tendrils of my one-night Mistress, rhododendron--I'll suffer in silence through the BENDS and the SPINS and the sea sickness on a hard wood floor--I'll grin and give it the old ascetic embrace of the ancient Desert Fathers--I'm an old soldier and a damn salty dog--and ENOUGH WITH YOUR OVERINDULGENT LINGUISTIC DILLY-DALLYING!--IT IS TIME FOR YOUR LONG-AWAITED COMMUNION WITH THE DAMN DELICIOUS INTERDIMENSIONAL HIVE-MIND--you understand the appeal--I just want to hear the bees, man--I long to feel the insectile sussurrus rising and hitting those resonant frequencies in my wet flesh--hot DAMN--I long to gaze AFTER LONG LAST upon waves of wasp drones, sinuous and synchronous, that move like sheets of azure and ebony silk, performing before my infidel eyes the ancient break-dance they call their language--and in that moment, genitals swaddled as they have been this entire time in strips of Mad Honey-saturated muslin--I shyly strive to meet the compound eyes of the throned queen--I confront the fractal likenesses of my grotesque human form--a thousand fetishes reflect out at me from the depths of her royal, compartmentalized visage--she is pure class, Her wings spun from sugar and a bitter taste--of vintage Hell's Angels crank, gelatin windowpane--the alluring curves of a segmented carapace is alien elegance-- all this as I sit below her quivering feet, I see myself as they see me--some kind of ignorant, rockabilly baboon--surrounded on all sides by a superior insect intellect--infinite iterations dancing as one--and I get where I was going all along: I HEAR WHAT THEY'RE SAYING TO ME LOUD AND CLEAR. I WEEP OPENLY AND WHEN THEY BEGIN TO COAT ME IN ROYAL JELLY I DON'T PROTEST, NOT AT ALL)

Afterword.

Then again, I don't know if I should be dipping my feet into an unfamiliar, highly sophisticated and predatory insectile consciousness. I think HIVE MIND is code for DIRTY COMMUNIST WITH A DIRTY BEARD and I sure as shit ain't no PINKO WUSSNUGGET--so like a self-respecting RED BLOODED AMERICAN I should probably just MacGyver this shit:

Freedom Hive:
a fresh, American twist on an old insecto-communist favorite!
You're guests will be sure to ask, why are my lips tingling?

--2-3 shots Absinthe
--deep deep breaths while you clean out the cat's box
--1 FAMILY-SIZE BOX OF HONEYCOMB CEREAL, to be eaten in one sitting

YEP, THAT SHOULD HIT THE SPOT REAL GOOD

--from the land of black, black tar and green, green chili...

^ What?

So wiki sez: The toxicity of grayanotoxin is derived from its ability to interfere with voltage-gated sodium channels located in the cell membrane of neurons. The Nav1.x channels consist of four homologous domains (I-IV), each containing six transmembrane alpha-helical segments (S1-S6). Grayanotoxin has a binding affinity (IC50) of approximately 10 μM and binds the group II receptor site located on segment 6 of domains I and IV (IS6 and IVS6). Other toxins that bind to this region include the alkaloids veratridine, batrachotoxin and aconitine.

Prolonged sodium channel activation and cell depolarization leads to overstimulation of the central nervous system. Physical symptoms from grayanotoxin poisoning appear after a dose-dependent latent period of several minutes to approximately three hours. The most common clinical symptoms include various cardiovascular effects, nausea and vomiting, and a change in consciousness. The cardiovascular effects may include hypotension (low blood pressure) and various cardiac rhythm disorders such as sinus bradycardia (slow regular heart rhythm), bradyarrhythmia (slow irregular heart rhythm) and partial or complete atrioventricular block. Other early-onset symptoms may include diplopia and blurred vision, dizziness, hypersalivation, perspiration, weakness and paresthesia in the extremities and around the mouth. In higher doses, symptoms can include loss of coordination, severe and progressive muscular weakness, electrocardiographic changes of bundle branch block and/or ST-segment elevations as seen in ischemic myocardial threat, and nodal rhythm or Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.

So the same deal as poisioning yourself with monkshood / aconite. File this under "Ouchy Bad Not Good", along with Sapo and diphenhydramine trips.

^ What this guy said.

Fun fact: Nepali rhododendron blossom spirits are supposed to be such a powerful remedy for having a fishbone stuck in your throat that simply saying the name three times can dissolve them

@AutoTripper ive seen someone do a dead bee bong before he didn't get fucked up just coughed alot although he wasn't a smoker so the tobacco made him cough loads and i doubt he really inhaled much bee 😂😂

@imagination.of.extremity IV DMT is indeed a thing. On my bucket list once I get a bit older, if I have any veins left by then. It can get a big dose to cross the blood brain barrier quicker than any other ROA.
Just like with IV K, you'd need a trip sitter, someone to pull that needle out of your arm because you will be most likely be in hyperspace before the plunger is even fully depressed. Or just have someone else do it for you.

@Pinkbeam seems you had a weak batch or were just very lucky, in the documentary about it, the people who harvest it say you shouldn't have more than half a teaspoon as it is dangerous, but maybe they do have a super concentrated/pure version of the stuff that actually gets sold.

Looks interesting to me, I'd try it for sure.
Natural stuff like this, datura, all the fungi and cacti, psychedelic toads, etc, really fascinate me, i want to try them all

Last edited:
Hey BL crew,

Anyone here tried "Mad Honey", a.k.a. "Red Honey" a.k.a. "Deli Bal"?

If you've tried it, I'd love to hear about your experience.

From what I've read, it's a pretty mild trip overall. Users report light visuals, a body buzz, and a specific auditory hallucination: hearing the sound of buzzing bees.

It's that last part I find the most interesting. To me, this seems like some kind of insect magic. Hallucinogenic honey that makes people hear bees as they trip. I can't help but wonder if the bees are trying to send humanity some kind of message...other common effects include lightheadedness, mild visuals (seeing light halos, colors seeming brighter, etc.) and a body buzz.
Read my trip report called Mad Honey - Ancient Bee Magic

Hey BL crew,

Anyone here tried "Mad Honey", a.k.a. "Red Honey" a.k.a. "Deli Bal"?

If you've tried it, I'd love to hear about your experience.

From what I've read, it's a pretty mild trip overall. Users report light visuals, a body buzz, and a specific auditory hallucination: hearing the sound of buzzing bees.

It's that last part I find the most interesting. To me, this seems like some kind of insect magic. Hallucinogenic honey that makes people hear bees as they trip. I can't help but wonder if the bees are trying to send humanity some kind of message...other common effects include lightheadedness, mild visuals (seeing light halos, colors seeming brighter, etc.) and a body buzz.
Hi, i have tried it but the batch is from Lamjung Nepal which is my home town and i do actually every harvest season. You hear the bees only if you were together in hunting time as all u can see is dangerous cliffs and the giant bees. For me, it was more like having magic mushroom.

There are some stores from the guys up there who supply to State and some other countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, i have tried it but the batch is from Lamjung Nepal which is my home town and i do actually every harvest season. You hear the bees only if you were together in hunting time as all u can see is dangerous cliffs and the giant bees. For me, it was more like having magic mushroom.

There are some stores from the guys up there who supply to State and some other countries. You can check them out here Mad Honey
Haha, the sheer Lengths we endeavour to to get high.

I'd join you in it tbh, except personally am allergic to nearly everything, almost surely the bees psychedelic elixir.

Safer ways to access that desired, default mode network resetting and transcendental experience still lol.

Ayahuasca ceremonies still seem to stick out as mostly profoundly healing with rightful guide & care.

Psilocybin ceremonies especially in pure connected free peaceful social space and a good brew of shrooms offered all round,

Can be such a heavenly experience just that.

Welcome. Nice unique introduction.

Yes.

Bees carry very little nectar in them, so the effects of any plant based compound that accumulates in honey would not be felt by smoking a bee. Also bee venom is peptide based which means that it would be totally degraded by smoking.

See: placebo effect.
lol. I’m willing to bet you’re no scientist. I’ll take empirical and anecdotal evidence over a random pompous drug snob who memorized a few big words.

See: trust me bro

lol. I’m willing to bet you’re no scientist. I’ll take empirical and anecdotal evidence over a random pompous drug snob who memorized a few big words.

See: trust me bro
So is there anything wrong with my statements, or are you simply scared by big words?

Do you really think smoking a bee would get you high?

Idk I’d have to try it. But I wouldn’t doubt it. Peptide based doesn’t mean only peptides and even then it’s possible to get high by smoking or boiling alkaloids that are allegedly destroyed by heat. I’ve personally never taken that as absolute and have proven it wrong more times than I can remember. Also different people are affected differently and some are just more sensitive. And for some reason I just believe it. And I hate the P word. Especially when people tell the actual person who took the drug, what they are experiencing. In this case it’s a third hand account so fine but it really just doesn’t sound that far fetched. You never know what that be got into. Now that I’ve written all this out I realize that it probably wasn’t a brand new bong (plus the bee) so there’s that but what I said still stands in the hypothetical

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody here reported getting high from smoking a bee. I was stating that I don't believe you would get the effects of mad honey from smoking a bee, and provided reasons.

The onus is on you to support your claims rather than skulking around the forum casting shade at people who use precise language.

Now, it doesn't take a genius to work out how to produce 'fake' mad honey. I, for one, would be very dubious about buying it on-line.