• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals Anyone Here Tried "Mad Honey"?

Hey BL crew,

Anyone here tried "Mad Honey", a.k.a. "Red Honey" a.k.a. "Deli Bal"?

If you've tried it, I'd love to hear about your experience.

From what I've read, it's a pretty mild trip overall. Users report light visuals, a body buzz, and a specific auditory hallucination: hearing the sound of buzzing bees.

It's that last part I find the most interesting. To me, this seems like some kind of insect magic. Hallucinogenic honey that makes people hear bees as they trip. I can't help but wonder if the bees are trying to send humanity some kind of message...other common effects include lightheadedness, mild visuals (seeing light halos, colors seeming brighter, etc.) and a body buzz.

tenor.gif

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm also curious about this too if any BLers have tried this stuff?

I have tried it. A friend ordered some. It tasted great. I only tried one spoonful of it. I felt it within mins. It was a light happy feeling, one I'm not too familiar with to compare it to something else. However, It didnt last long, not even 15 mins. I'm pretty sure if i would have ate more, i would have enjoyed the experience alot better and would have tripped some. We were just nervous because we had no clue how much of it we we were suppose to take. I didnt do anymore because it was his, and expensive.

I’ve been curious as well but with how supposedly toxic the grayanotoxins are I’ve been hesitant..

-GC

It appears to be an old school honey that was originally used for weapons. They would shoot a bunch of arrows into their enemies and eventually they would be tripping so hard they would turn around. They took down multiple roman attacks with it.

It only comes from certain locations.

Just google it. Lots of info.

I have tried it. A friend ordered some. It tasted great. I only tried one spoonful of it. I felt it within mins. It was a light happy feeling, one I'm not too familiar with to compare it to something else. However, It didnt last long, not even 15 mins. I'm pretty sure if i would have ate more, i would have enjoyed the experience alot better and would have tripped some. We were just nervous because we had no clue how much of it we we were suppose to take. I didnt do anymore because it was his, and expensive.

@Pinkbeam it was smart of you to take a small dose--this stuff can paralyze your respiratory system at high doses!!

First time I listen... So it´s a buzzing honey? Natural or man made? Cause it seems easy to just tint it red and add some random RC...

Whatever, I would like to know more.

Authentic mad honey is produced in Turkey and Nepal. It is legal to sell and there are a few online stores who claim to sell authentic product. It occurs in nature when bees pollinate certain species of rhododendrons. The pollen from the rhododendrons carries the grayanotoxins, and that makes it's way into the honey. Modern mad honey is still made the natural way. Only bee keepers intentionally stick their bees in the middle of rhododendron fields to make it happen...

I read about the grayanotoxins before I tried it. So, you are basically poisoning yourself. That's why I was scared.
I have no clue how much it would take to give you actual problems, but I know it works because I felt it after just one teaspoon of it.

I hate to be the pessimist but this gives me vibes like absinthe, where hyperbole and legend take over what are actually probably more subtle effects. Still very interested to know the chemistry behind it.

Well, the guy doing the vice documentary certainly seemed to have a good time. The rhododendrons the bees make the honey from is poisonous, in fact it can kill you. I wouldn't try it, personally, it doesn't seem very safe and I'd be worried about toxicity. Plenty of other things that can make you feel good and wobble around.

Well, the guy doing the vice documentary certainly seemed to have a good time. The rhododendrons the bees make the honey from is poisonous, in fact it can kill you. I wouldn't try it, personally, it doesn't seem very safe and I'd be worried about toxicity. Plenty of other things that can make you feel good and wobble around.

Definitely a fascinating cultural facet. The world is a colorful place

Personally, though I love lots of what vice puts out, but they set of my spidey senses of bologna, like when a serious journalist tries to use the phrase "AR15/Ak47 style assault rifle" or "new iPhone 12 shocks users". I wouldn't rely on them for technical information about anything, but they entertain well.

Is there any reason to think that this is any less toxic than rhododendron itself? Is there a lower concentration of grayanotoxins in the honey that the plant itself?

Hey BL crew,

Anyone here tried "Mad Honey", a.k.a. "Red Honey" a.k.a. "Deli Bal"?

If you've tried it, I'd love to hear about your experience.

From what I've read, it's a pretty mild trip overall. Users report light visuals, a body buzz, and a specific auditory hallucination: hearing the sound of buzzing bees.

It's that last part I find the most interesting. To me, this seems like some kind of insect magic. Hallucinogenic honey that makes people hear bees as they trip. I can't help but wonder if the bees are trying to send humanity some kind of message...other common effects include lightheadedness, mild visuals (seeing light halos, colors seeming brighter, etc.) and a body buzz.
Hi. I can't comment on the honey...but I can tell you, my younger years, my country couzins were hardcore bucket-bag pot smokers.

Mainly clean green hash back then, Redseal and Goldseal Black.

One day, they came across a group of youngsters, in country like lol!

These kids had a dead bee. They smoked it in a bong.

My Couzins swore emphatically they have never seen anybody so fucked up.

So I think there is a chance that combusting the poison within the Bee could be very psychoactive and hallucinogenic.

Lol, street corner dealers- 10 dead wasps for a fiver!

Is that a ridiculously far stretch?

(Just edited for dopey typos, content unchanged.)

Last edited:
Is that a ridiculously far stretch?
Yes.

Bees carry very little nectar in them, so the effects of any plant based compound that accumulates in honey would not be felt by smoking a bee. Also bee venom is peptide based which means that it would be totally degraded by smoking.

See: placebo effect.