• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anxeity - how long???

The thing you should know about anxiety is, it comes in all different forms and differs *greatly* depending on the individual. Sufferers can perceive a whole variety of "symptoms" which they believe indicate something is wrong with them or that something bad is happening. It can be anything from focusing on the physical symptoms such as tension headaches, racing heart, sweaty palms etc. to focusing on thoughts, visual stimulus, feelings etc.

The common thread to all of these various symptoms, however, is the overwhelming fear response affecting the person's thoughts. Anxiety is a slippery, elusive thing - the way its experienced it differs, but fundamentally the thought processes are very similar. There is a form of psychology called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which is very effective and useful in defeating anxiety. It helps you learn more about the nature of anxiety, identify the actual thought processes which cause you to feel anxious, and rationalise a way to overcome that fear. I found it very effective in treating my anxiety, which was very serious, occurring after a DXM overdose. You can probably look it up on Google and see if it might help you deal with anxiety.

^ Yeah...they're right. Even I experience different symptoms every time I have an attack. In one my ears might start ringing and my stomach gets really hot. Other times my chest might feel heavy and my heart will be pounding but my ears wont ring. Anxiety is confusing that way. This is why I keep thinking that there is something wrong with me because the symptoms keep changing. I'm constantly thinking it HAS to be something other than just anxiety. But, the minute I start to calm down all the symptoms go away....and I know that if there were actually something else wrong with me....the symptoms probably would not go away just by relaxing.

yeah my symptoms change all the time too and the old brain starts ticking over that maybe its something else physical but then as soon as I can distract my brain or change my thoughts it can mostly go away, and If I can't shanke it, I have a xanax which makes me feel normal how I used to be

The last 3 days I have being getting a sensation where I am standing on solid concrete, but feel like I am standing on a water bed just slightly bouncing up and down even though my legs are perfectly stilll, at completley random moments, but I have noticed more of a pattern of when I am tired and doing a lot, it pops up more

And also visual distortions, by this I mean like something that is completley perpendicuar normaly, but appears to be slightly bent when I look at it at random times

all this sort of weird shit, does anyone know if this if also a form of anxiety, the closes I can get is the dissocation/depersonilaztion stuff linked to anxiety

These sort of sensations started after e use 6 months ago

Prior to that though I use to just get the odd (every couple of weeks) stress attack - the standard text book symtoms but after the e use, it manifested itself into all sorts of weird shit

If I could turn back time!!!!

eng said:
...I have being getting a sensation where I am standing on solid concrete, but feel like I am standing on a water bed just slightly bouncing up and down even though my legs are perfectly stilll, at completley random moments...
I get that. It feels like a very strange form of dizziness.

My anxiety has been around since November 2003 after I had a panic attack dropping 2 pills. I don't have any heart palpitation any more, but the sensation in my chest, chest tightness, and lump in throat are still there. Some days I'm very sensitive to noise and it feels like every noise would send a nervous shock to my chest. This makes me so nervous, fatigue, and unable to breath deeply. This made me think I'm having a heart attack and sent me to the doc twice. Do any of you have the same symptoms ?

yeah I get more sensitive to noise and things like that compared to what I use to

Fuck I'm glad that someone else has experienced that bouncing sensation, no one else I spoke to understands what I am talking about. It's good to know it's linked to the anxiety

Uphan, I get the same sensation, but to my head, like an electic shock, I think I am about to have a seziure though, not a heart attack

Sure, I've never experienced anything as fucked up as anxiety attack. It's amazing I've been living with this shit for 5 months. I'm exhausted but it's getting better everyday though.

yep I would pay $100000000 if someone could just make it go away

I have the same thing as uphan right now the tight chest and lump in the throat. I think it is just a build up of end of the semester stress. I have been hitting the xanax lately and it helps, hopefully it all gets manageable soon.
I have been having anxiety(not panic) attacks since I was a kid and I did acid/shrooms for like 14 years with out a problem. One day, after I got into pills, I blew up really hard and got an anxiety attack during it. I was OK for a while, then I started getting panic attacks every time I tried any psychedelic compound. My attacks consist of getting really hot and lightheaded, then my heart begins to race and I feel like I am dying. I think my panic is form a fear of not being able to get out of the trip. Allot of times, during normal life, I kind of feel as though I am living in a dream. That, and I have this chatter in my head that just won't shut up. At least allot of the sustained visual effects have worn off, like purple in the shadows and trails sometimes. I waited for about 2 years without doing any psychedelics and then tried just 1 hit of salvia the other week. It was still kind of uncomfortable and that may have added to my anxiety now.
I am really trying to get this straight in my head, because I REALLY like doing psychedelics and hope to again someday. I guess I should be thankful that I can still smoke weed, drink, and do non stimulant type drugs...I don't have anywhere near the fun at the club sober. I know some people who can't even go into a club anymore with out feeling an attack coming on. 8o

yep sounds like a bit of post halluncigen percerptial disorder with a bit of derealisation thrown in

I get this two but not as bad as yours sounds, but it's there all the time, after I took e's 6 months ago

Because of these weird sensations my anxiety just grew and grew in about 4 minutes it multiplied

I have given up all drugs as much as I'd like to go out and party I just fucking hate feeling like this all the time, once I'm back to normal I won't risk going through this hell again

Firstly - Congrats on your defeat!

This was a really interesting thread to read.

I've suffered from Anxiety / Panic Attacks since Febuary 2004 when I was admitted to Hospital after smoking alot of meth for 24/36 hours straight. Very silly of me - Every since that day my life has never been the same.

I was up until then a regular Ecstasy/Speed user on the weekends and have been for 3 or so years.

Since Febuary I've taken no drugs at all. I'm much happier during the day now and feel my life is on track again.

I feel constant anxiety. My anxiety brings on the fear that I have a heart condition and as mentioned in this thread sometimes I can freak out and think my heart will stop or explode. It's very scary. It constantly concerns me.

I've been checked by doctors, had ECG's, had blood tests, had the doctor check my blood preassure, etc. They say I'm fine and I'm suffering typical anxiety symptoms.

The only medication I've taken is 5-HTP/St Johns Wort + Valium when my attacks seemed severe.

I'm still battling the Anxiety but it's not as bad as when it first was.

Tonight I'm having a BIG PARTY and I've decided to take half a tablet first and then cruise into the night. I don't want to GO HARD and this will never become a recreational weekly thing for me again.

Maybe once every 2 - 3 months now. It won't be the old days.

Again, Congrats on your defeat. I know it's fucken hard to battle.

shals :)

I just wanted to add that I have found some natural ways that help my anxiety symptoms. First there is valerian, this was valium before valium, though not nearly as strong. They used to give it to people in Britain during the Blitz to calm them down. Personally I can feel it hit me about 20 mins after taking it. It lasts a couple of hours, but you build up a tolerance quickly.
The other thing I have found is rosemary and thyme..I know it sounds like a 60's song. I cook with it 4-5 times a week(it can be made into a tea too), it takes a couple of weeks to take affect, but it is defiantly a noticeable affect.
I think that overall that trying to eat healthier and exercise defiantly helps my anxiety levels. Besides my body is my interface to the world I live in, I try to make it as clean a connection as possible.

I don't know if any of you get this but since I have been getting my panic attacks I also get these waves of sensation that sweep over parts of my body sometimes.
One good thing, I guess, is that my panic attacks have freaked me out so much that, I haven't had an anxiety attack for a long while.

Last edited:
Yeah....I notice the wave thing too. It usually comes when I'm tanning. I go to a salon and use a bed. When I get in....I usually doze off a little...and when I do....this wave will come over me that wakes me up all of the sudden and makes me feel uncomfortable for a little while. But I usually get over it.

The thing that scares me the most is thinking that I'm going to have a seizure....especially while I'm driving. And, I've never even had one before....so, I really don't have anything to worry about. But, no matter how much I tell myself that I still think about it!

I HATE PANIC DISORDER!!!!!!!!! You mother fucker...go away!!!!!!!! :X

fuck yeah

I get the seziure thing too, like I am about to go in and out of conciousness in a split second, even though I've never had one

Also a bright flash, or strobe or if the tv flickers sends my thoughts into thinking I am going to have one and I get this incredible electic rush in my head and runs through my body

It fucking sucks

I get the wave sensation as well, also dozing off - called nocternal panic attacks
8o 8o 8o

Gets worse too when I am hung over, really notice it post 12 hours of stopping drinking8)

AHhh, the days of feeling normal, weren't they great, stupid fucking drugs and stress:X :X :X

My anxiety is also much worse when I'm hungover. However, I think everyone gets some anxiety on a hangover, and for us it just pushes the level that bit higher.

Cheers for the replies everybody and thanks (and thanks Shal).

Even when I was over the anxiety I also still found it coming back after drinking loads the night before (even though I still did not get (and never get) a hangover, but the last few times I've been out on the lash I've been ok the next morning.

The last few weeks have been great with no anxiety at-all (apart from 1 day when I went down to see my mum & sister and I felt some slight anxiety (guess it brought back memories of my dad who died December 2002 along with having a long drive every day into a course I was on for 3 days (2 hours each way))).

All seems ok again since though.

Cheers again.

so how long in total from when you got your first major attack when it was dignosed to how you are now???????

I'm coming up to 7 months now - I've being a bit slack though with practicing the relaxation

I am starting a meditation couse next week so hopefully that does the trick

I think I really need to practice that relaxation stuff you did more, (i just re read the thing) I haven't really done it as I found it hasn't really done anything so far, so I haven't really kept up at the practice

But it sounds like non stop practice for weeks before you see any benefits, so you have motivated me again to do it

Thanks (I would love to swap bodies with you and experience how you are feeling right now);)

Once again well done from coming out of this hell hole:D

I can't fathom ever being normal after having anxiety, it just like that if it resolves (ever) it's going to leave so much emotional scarring. It's definetely taken my naivety away :\

One thing I have always wanted to know though, is depression or anxiety harder to treat, and generally which one leaves more complications for the future ?

I have GAD (which is more a self diagnosis), never had a panic or anxiety attacks - and I've read that GAD is one of the more debilitating anxiety disorders. It fucking sucks!

Is there anyone else out with GAD that can shed some light ?

:D