• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Antipsychotics, strength and opinions.

MedicinalUser247

Bluelighter
I'm posting because I want your opinions about Antipsychotics. I just want to give my opinion on some and what you think about it. One thing is a list from strongest to weakest. Most commonly prescribed Antipsychotics from strongest to weakest. Clozapine, pimozide, fluphenazine, trifluoperazine, haloperidol, chlorpromazine, risperidone, olanzapine, quetiapine, ziprasidone, aripiprazole, brexpiprazole, prochlorperazine. As for longest acting, but not on the market "penfluridol" the dosage for that is one pill every 7 days. In my opinion clozapine augmented with penfluridol would be the most effective treatment of psychosis. Also, lithium augmented with that would be the best for mood stabilization, if with a psychosis. What do you think ?

Psychomedicine is a very rarified field. Their is no right answer and in reality, a psychiatrist is guided to a person's response to such classes of drug. Psychologists can sometimes produce coping mechanisms that allows the reduction in the amount of medicine needed..

Well... When it comes to Atypical antipsychotics Clozapines the best. When it comes to the older neuroleptics Chlorpromazine is the best way to go. As for Haldol the stuff is awful it makes you shake and gives you bad akathisia. Any high potency neuroleptic usually has the most side effects and low potency ones have the least.

i found that my voices and sounds were mostly if not entirely gone while taking risperdal pills... on quetiapine pills mixed with some other drug as pills i can't remember, i think i still had some symptoms of auditory hallucinations, but probably less... recently i got prescribed haldol injections mixed with zyprexa and right when i got out of the hospital after being there for 3 months, i started to hear these weird what i'll call "electrical explosions" from miles away, they definitely weren't real. i started smoking weed right when i got home and the voices came back. i was smoking a bunch of weed on risperdal and wasn't getting voices or any sounds. the psychiatrist i'm seeing now was actually saying my dose of haldol injections and zyprexa doses were on the higher end too.... those are the only anti-psychotics i've been subjected to and i hope that i don't have to try anymore or go on any i've tried again.

i've never had bad experience with haldol injections other than injection site pain and being a little tired or gross feeling the day after on higher doses. not bad for only having to deal with one dose every 28 days. a lot easier for me to deal with than some other drugs... the thing is it didn't really work like it's supposed to for me, not that i even wanted to get rid of my hallucinations. i'm glad it didn't work tbh. not sure how many posters or readers are actually using anti-psychotics to stop schizophrenia... like i said, i made a thread wondering about drug users with schizophrenia and the percentage of people that actually have auditory hallucinations is a lot less than i would've expected...

If you can handle Haldol well go for you. Me I can't stand the stuff and I prefer taking Clozapine. But everyone has a different response to different medications.

Well... When it comes to antipsychotics I find a few that work really good. One is Clozapine the second is Olanzapine the third is Quetiapine and the fourth is Chlorpromazine. It's kind of funny. The antipsychotics that work the best for me are all structurally related. Except for Chlorpromazine which is phenothiazine, but that works just as well. I actually enjoy taking Chlorpromazine because it's so relaxing.

Hypothetically, If I had to go on a High Potency Neuroleptic I'd probably go with Trifluoperazine. It has not only antipsychotic effects, but antianxiety effects as well. Probably because of it's antiadrenergic action a long with it's antidopaminergic effects.

I hated olanzapine at 15mg but really liked 5mg haloperidol or a standard dose of quetiapin or prothipendyl…

I didn’t take it for psychosis but cariprazine I had a love hate relationship with. It was great for motivation and extremely effective at increasing libido surprisingly yet the downsides were increasing aggression and it got bad. Maybe a bit of akathesia. But man sometimes I think about trialing a lower dose though I was on the starter dose.