• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Alternative to Alcohol...social events

OK. I see there needs a post to end all disagreement. It is long, yes. But you can either get over it and learm something, or you can go around it and persist in your ignorance. The choice is not mine to make. You can lead a horse to water, but...

Anyway, basically you're all lacking sufficient creativity here, I regret to say.

Corporations don't need to patent plants. All they'd have to do is follow the methods of Monsanto or industrial agribusiness and agricultural economics, in general

For example, they could effectively monopolise and control the production of a given plant by simply genetically modifying the seeds of the plant such that the seeds grow plants which produce no additional fertile seeds (genetic use restriction technology).

The intended and direct effect is requiring every grower to either buy more seeds after each harvest or to grow their own plants from vastly inferior seeds (which have not been genetically modified to grow plants to be as productive, resistant, profitable, or otherwise superior to those produced from the corporations' exorbitantly-priced seeds).

Further, they could have all prospective buyers of their seed (after eliminating the possibility of buying seeds elsewhere) to sign a legally-binding contract ensuring the buyer must do and mustn't do any number of things (terms and conditions) with their product (i.e., seeds), which makes the buyer legally obliged to the seller in such a way as to be hopelessly dependent upon the seller for any and all future purchases of the seller's seed lest, again, they be forced to accept the unappealing alternatives that are:

a.) using inferior seed
b.) using no seed

Then, they could patent the technology of these genetically modified seeds so that nobody can ever modify their plants (specifically, their particular type of plant. Say, corn, lettuce, or even cannabis if we see the legalization advocates get their druthers) to have any uncannily similar genetic modifications (such as a specific insect, particular pesticide, or some environmental resistance) lest that farmer find himself slapped with an unwinnable lawsuit and have his whole business and/or life utterly destroyed and thence subsumed by the corporation to which they're indefinitely legally binded (with the threat of suffering with poorer or no crops in lieu of strictly obeying the unreasonable punition accompanying the transgression of contractual legal stipulations, which the buyer better have not or thought not to do, if they don't want a torrential and tortuous litany of litigation to come raining down from a cloud of callous corporate-sponsored castigation and costly courtroom comeuppance).

In fact, agricultural business is far more profitable theoretically than is pharmaceutical business, but the latter just generates more profit (by virtue of the market it deals in).

Yet Big Pharma is simply not able to equip itself with as many exponentially more profitable legal protections as the former, because chemistry—the basis of drug design and development and, hence, pharmaceutics itself— doesn't offer many techniques or novel, undiscovered innovations to be disinterred out of the study of chemical synthesis.

For example, a total synthesis via manipulation of very specific biosynthetic pathways, or even a total synthesis via a precisely modified additive manufacturing procedure, or better yet some newfangled way to computationally facilitate drug design via QSAR modus using a patented algorithmic synthetic mechanism combined with a biosynthetic manipulation technique.

Imagine printing all chemicals of any section of chemical space (say, all amphetamines or all arylcyclohexylamines) one wants as if they were printing out pages of a document from a paper-ink printer.

Consider that: browsing a Google-like search engine of chemical space, rather than cyberspace, to find something novel and then just clicking it to print, or additive manufacture, chemical after chemical from a compilation of chemicals just like page after page from a compilation of pages. That would make pharmaceutics rapidly outpace their agricultural corporate cousins in terms of unbridled domination of chemistry like industrial agriculture's unbridled domination of agriculture.

But currently, Monsanto alone easily outdoes Pfizer or any other near trillion-dollar tentacle of mega-Big Pharma in a way heretofore unseen and unwanted, in terms of legal immunity, technological sophistication, scientific innovation, etc.

If drug companies can be argued to have got their hands clenching the drug business by the balls, then Big Agribusiness has got the whole planet in a titanium, multi-ton hydraulic testicular vice and a Fort Knox-esque vault-locked chastity device.

Anybody wanting Monsanto to be controlling cannabis production, whch they will once it is legal, say "Aye".

Nay?

But, I thought cannabis legalization would be a good thing? Didn't it work for alcohol?

Oh, yeah! That's right. Alcohol, too, was once held in favor of legalization. Now, after the people got what they wanted and knew what dangers would await them, they're now bitching insufferably about "Big Alcohol", just like now in this very thread. How ironical and preposterous. Don't people ever learn from history?

Last edited:
People in this thread are merely making suggestions for alternatives to alcohol.
The social pressure some people feel to drink is a major part of the problems some people have with alcohol, or ways to circumvent the peer-group pressure many people feel to drink.
Nobody is suggesting alcohol prohibition; nor is anyone arguing with you.

Verbose nitpicking over the meaning of words doesn't really contribute much to the purpose of this thread.
You're welcome to disagree with people's opinions, but i don't see anyone else "bitching insufferably". Simply having a discussion.
One person's lesson from history is another's mythology.

Unmodified botanicals? You mean ones where the modifications have been removed? That's a criminal offense—a felony punishable by years of imprisonment and/or excessive fines in some jurisdictions. Incredulous? Then go fuck with Monsanto's patented and legally protected genetically modified plants, and see what tampering with or copying the genetic use restriction technology gets you. I just hope they've got good internet on the inside or that you aren't deprived of too much money from legal expenditures to afford it on the outside, because I'd love to hear you confess how wrong you were

Or do you mean ones where no modifications were implemented at all? Those are all moribund (like a seeming majority of plants) or are currently being modified either in the lab right now or on the whiteboard in preparation for the lab soon.

Or do you possibly mean plants that have only either no modification or no modification resulting from a genetic engineering (via manipulation of their phenotype through some intraspecific extrapolation of some induced quality in a genotype (so to say in my own jargon or argot—wouldn't want to ruin my life by using Agribusinesses' own cant)?

The second one, as in that is the thing I said couldn't be patented.

Well, cannabis has been selectively (but not genetically) modified for millennia, for example. Natural selection did not result in such a dramatic change in cannabis strains so fast. Evolution does not work so rapidly. The weed in the 1960s-70s (say Panama Red) was the shit back then. Now, it's just shit.

Yes, that is something that is also eligible for patent.

I think you might be having a different conversation than the other people on the thread. No one is really arguing against the points you're making.

I think you might be having a different conversation than the other people on the thread. No one is really arguing against the points you're making.

Oy vey!

1.) People here have explicitly confessed to disliking the pharmaceutical, alcohol, and tobacco industries.

2.) The implicit reason these industries are disliked by people here is that they ostensibly suppress natural alternatives to their products or lobby for these products' prohibition and criminalisation (so to profit from their own products—the alcohol industry would probably suffer a substantial loss in profit per annum if, say, some safer and more effective alternative was being marketed).

3.) My point is to express the profound inanity in believing such a stupid notion.

4.) I think the notion is stupid because legal free markets are such that making any potentially lucrative commodity—be it botanicals, guns, sex slaves, atom bombs, etc.—would result in less profit for those aforesaid legal free markets. Why lobby against cannabis or kava, say, when you could lobby for them and then turn them into a whole new industry?

That is, in essence, the gravamen of my argument. Big Pharma would be an even Bigger Pharma if it had its way and legalised all drugs. Nobody is anxious about some botanical wonder drug arising to the fore and competing with their products, because all they'd need to do is make it one of their products. Then they not only eliminate competition, but also increase profits.

And I'm not an idiot; I know that this is not what this thread is supposed to be about (though I feel I've already assisted the OP with my other comments I submitted earlier, thus it is not as if I just wandered in here for the sake of disrupting the conversation).

But scroll up and you'll see my comment was a response to two other users' comments. That should provide context and clarity. If, however, it does not my advice would be to just overlook my comments, rather than to further derail the discussion by making even more inapposite comments about how inapposite my comments are. Doing so is not just hypocritical, but more tangential than the tangent itself.

And can people please, for fuck sake, stop with critiquing every off-topic post a user makes?

Every thread dies from digression, so to say, if it isn't closed or removed beforehand.

There's only so much titularly germane discussion to be had before the discourse becomes discursive and the initial point gets perverted beyond recognition.

So I implore all you desperate defenders of topics at terminus to just....stop. Stop interrupting the natural course of a thread's inevitable evolution and stop wasting everybody's time with frustrating futility.

It is unclear to me why you insist on employing these off-topic and long-winded rants. Past experience tells me that as soon as strong counter points are made to your position you will vanish in to thin air.

In relation to the critique of off-topic posts, that is something you are going to have to get used to. Threads have a topic for a reason, to keep them focused. I have absolutely no problem with the evolution of a conversation, but there is no way you can claim that what you are talking about can be tied to the OP in even the vaguest sense. I realise you were responding to some comments made by others in this thread, but the debate of the influence of "Big Pharma" on drug prohibition is outside the scope of this thread, and Australian Drug Discussion more generally. If you want to discuss this so badly, perhaps you should make a relevant thread in a more appropriate forum.

Please stop your repeated disruption of this thread, this is a warning. If you keep it up, I will resort to disciplinary measures.

Small doses of ketamine seems to get me feeling a bit drunk, a good ratio mix of ket and coke in a snuff bullet is always fun

OP find some kind of upper and use in the least "rushy" type way. eg if the only thing you can find is meth, then get a point and eat 20mg then 10mg at a time untill you get to there. its technically the least effective ROA, but if you compare the meth price to the drink prices at the bar, its is cheap as fuck.

your best alternative to alcohol would probably be a low dose of dexamphetamine, and some benzo and weed on hand as needed. this will give you the energy to stay into the night with the pissheads.

I find very small amounts of LSD work really well in social occasions. I've taken 1/10 of a tab and not only could I easily get to sleep but it also really helped ease an anxiety I had. It's like a metaphorical beautiful blue sky in your head.

Really brightens everything up visually (seeing it stimulates the neurons in your visual cortex that bit is of no surprise).

Its also a handy decongestant.

Decongestant? I've never experienced that.
I had some great tabs once that i used to take quarters of for nights on the town/social events.
I was tripping, but in full control. No confusion. Really nice!