• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam

Eyes On the Roll

Bluelighter
Hey guys, Well I'm on about 5mgs of xanax right now and 1mg of klonopin, and I had an important question.

Does anyone else get this oddly-bad taste in your mouth when your high on xanax??
Cause I mean like, I ALWAYS get this strange as taste in my mouth, and it makes food/drink taste kinda bad.
It's really fuckin annoying and lasts basically the whole time i'm barred out.
Sometimes the taste can be unbearable. I can't even describe the taste, it's just some reaaaally weird taste that lingers in your mouth, and it doesn't taste good at all.

Mind you, the taste I'm talking about isn't from the actual pill itself, cause I KNOW for a fact how bitter a xanax pill can taste in your mouth.

So am I the only one?

There are a few references to this on Erowid, but I have never experienced it. Then again, I keep my doses lower.

I cant say I have ever used my meds for a buzz just for relief But, when I first started I would Puke. Half a xanax would make me gag and puke. It would make me drool. All benzos kinda did. After my Anxiety got worse and I took them everyday it went away. Just a weird effect...xanax and klonopin are not drugs you want to abuse. Its stupid. I know people who get munches after taking there benzo Prescribed meds for legit reasons. Doesnt ever happen to me anymore...........

dont know about the nasty taste... but I concur with the suggestion of liquor, that should do the trick

I've hard that this can happen with Ambien, it's a strange effect indeed.

I've hard that this can happen with Ambien, it's a strange effect indeed.

It's even more severe and common with Lunesta... The taste alone kept me awake and ruined my coffee and breakfast every morning. A slight taste remained at lunch.

Hey guys, Well I'm on about 5mgs of xanax right now and 1mg of klonopin, and I had an important question.

Does anyone else get this oddly-bad taste in your mouth when your high on xanax??
Cause I mean like, I ALWAYS get this strange as taste in my mouth, and it makes food/drink taste kinda bad.
It's really fuckin annoying and lasts basically the whole time i'm barred out.
Sometimes the taste can be unbearable. I can't even describe the taste, it's just some reaaaally weird taste that lingers in your mouth, and it doesn't taste good at all.

Mind you, the taste I'm talking about isn't from the actual pill itself, cause I KNOW for a fact how bitter a xanax pill can taste in your mouth.

So am I the only one?

I get that terrible altered sense of taste as well. It makes almost impossible to eat anything because all food tastes really off, even water tastes really yacki. Its hard to descriptive the taste but best word woul be "muddy". At first benzos didn't cause this at all, but after I ate lots of zolpidem (Ambien), it changed it totally. Now any benzos I ever take I get that terrible muddy taste, also my visual peerspection changes "muddy" all the colors look odd, not right. Actually it feels so off-putting that I rarely use benzos anymore.

Anyway I checked up more about this and it's actually very rare condition with xanax or other non-z-benzos, like only 0,60% of people get this.
http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/alprazolam/dysgeusia
On Nov, 11, 2011: 20,651 people reported to have side effects when taking Alprazolam. Among them, 123 people (0.60% ) have Dysgeusia.

Old thread, but I just posted a thread about this problem and was directed here. I also experience this weird texture/taste after taking a larger dose of any benzo. It's been years since I've taken Ambien, but if my memory serves me right, I also experienced it on Ambien, although it wasn't exactly the same as when on benzo's. The effect I experienced on Ambien was more of a feeling or texture and slightly in taste. More pronounced than with the benzo's but more tolerable. On the benzo's, I get hungry or the munchies, but nothing I eat tastes right and it ends up going in the trash almost every time. I don't take anything else with the benzo and it's happened every time I've taken a larger dose since I began using benzo's (about 6-7 years). Just thought I'd share since I also had trouble finding information about this.

I have never had any changes in taste after exposure to benzodiazepines.

The one exception I can think of is the metallicky taste that I woke up with sometimes after a blackout/night of taking an obscene amount of Zolpidem.

I have NEVER heard of this happening with normal/classical benzodiazepines, but rather only with the newer "non-benzodiazepines / Z-drugs " and I've NEVER heard of this happening during the experience, the weird tastes have only ever affected me the day after.

Benzodiazepines tend to give me the munchies and make food taste fucking incredible.

Last edited:
IDK because anyime I've been on benzos like Xanax I absolutely loove the way food taste's on it. I will scarf down pizza or whatever because I feel it tastes so much better. IDK maybe thats just me. Everyones different but I know a buddy who always said the same thing you guys are.

It's really interesting that everyone is reporting this for Lunesta. I've never done Z-drugs, just another reason why I'm thankful I haven't tried them.

If I take alprazolam tablets sublingually, it'll be bitter. The second a tablet is in my mouth, I can tell it's bitter. But if I swallow it quickly, it's not bothersome at all.

After it effects me, I don't taste it at all.

It's even more severe and common with Lunesta... The taste alone kept me awake and ruined my coffee and breakfast every morning. A slight taste remained at lunch.

Interesting. I've never had the problem with ambien or lunestra, and valium stimulates my appetite. But Fentanyl --oh god. I refuse to allow my doctors to use fentanyl for any kind of twilight sleep infusions anymore because of the horrendous side-effects, one of which is the most godawful metallic/coppery taste in my mouth for three-four to days after I'm given it. I know how the OP feels. It's almost like you can't even think about anything except for that hideous taste in your mouth.

never got it on xanax or d10s. but ive got a metallic taste in my mouth from taking certain sleeping tablets that were also benzos.

I never suffered from dysgeugia from medication before i got addicted to zopiclone.
Now though, alot of cns depressing meds have this side effect for me. Not just ones that cause sedation through GABA but ones like mirtazapine aswell.