• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Alpha Lipoic Acid- How good is it for preventing Amphetamine Neurotoxicity?

MMMMKAY?!

Ex-Bluelighter
I recently heard that Alpha Lipoic Acid is excellent for preventing amphetamine neurotoxicity.
How true is this?

Free radicals are waste products that can cause cell-damaging reactions within the body. In their fight against free radicals, many of the body’s antioxidants are used up. Evidence indicates that alpha-lipoic acid – an important antioxidant - can help rekindle and reactivate other antioxidants like glutathione (which helps rid the body of harmful substances) and vitamin C.
The blood brain barrier is a semi-permeable wall of tiny blood vessels and cells that allows certain substances to cross but prohibits others. Because of its unique qualities, alpha-lipoic acid can easily cross the blood-brain barrier, which may help protect delicate nerve and brain tissue.

i t wouldbe also more effective with vit c /(shock dosages 1-2grams),melatonin 3-5mg, and gluthionine precurssors sych as L Glutamine, N-Acetyl Cystene

still its a David against Goliath style of battle

I'm a massive fan of alpha-lipoic acid in terms of preventing amphetamine neurotoxicity... I've done a fair bit of reading on it and never use amphetamine without it.

In this study ALA was shown to prevent MDMA induced serotonergic neurotoxicity http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10619665

It looks promising, the main concern I have is its duration of effects due to its half life

Yes half life is short from what I have read... I usually throw it in with a bottle of water and sip on it throughout the day as it helps to spread it out more. Half life is roughly 30 minutes off the top of my head. Eating with food can help slow absorbtion aswell.

Best for add/need sources pertinent to the topic.

What doses were you planning on?

Healthy diet/hydration/exercise before or after use is probably at least as useful.

What is the current belief about using alpha lipoic acid along with using amphetamines (such as Vyvanse) to treat ADD/ADHD?

Should we take ALA first thing in the morning? Should we only take it at the end of the day when the amphetamines are wearing off?