PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

ALD-52? Refined, cleaner lsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theschnouz

Greenlighter
My friend and I recently came across a great connect for sheets. He just got something he called something like "al 52" and described it as a more refined L-25 crystal, less impurites, cleaner, etc. Its definitely good, but from what he said, it isn't L-25. If anyone could elaborate on this "al 52" or clarify what exactly it is it would be much appreciated.

From TIHKAL:

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/tihkal/tihkal26.shtml

ALD-52. 1-Acetyl-N,N-diethyllysergamide. This material has been explored in the 50-175 microgram range and there are a number of human trials reported, with varying conclusions. One found that there was less visual distortion than with LSD and it seems to produce less anxiety and was somewhat less potent than LSD.

Another report claimed it was more effective in increasing blood pressure. Yet another could not tell them apart. ALD-52 just may have been the drug that was sold as "Orange Sunshine" during the "Summer of Love" in the late '60's. Or "Orange Sunshine" may have been, really, LSD.

This was the focus of a fascinating trial where two defendants were accused of distributing LSD, whereas they claimed that it was ALD-52 which was not an illegal drug. The prosecution claimed that as it hydrolyses readily to LSD, for all intents and purposes it was LSD, and anyway, you had to go through the illegal LSD to get to ALD-52 by any of the known chemical syntheses. The defendants were found guilty.

And yet, I do not know who has actually measured the speed or ease of that reaction. If ALD-52 hydrolyses so easily to LSD, and the body is indeed a hydrolytic instrument, then these two drugs should be absolutely equivalent in every particular, This is the ergot equivalent of the psilocybin to psilocin argument, except this is an acetamide rather than a phosphate ester.

If you actually have ALD-52, then you're an extraordinarily lucky guy. My theory: your dealer is making shit up. If not, keep that guy around and it's just LSD. But the only way for you to tell for sure is a GC/MS or similar sophisticated testing.

Anyway, ALD-52 is a different chemical, not more refined LSD. It has been described as a smoother and more refined than LSD however. Your dealer is most likely just trying to make a sell.

I heard from a very reliable source that a lot of lsd in the USA is actually ald-52. I would trust this person's word over just about anyone else's. They knew exactly what they were working with and would have no reason to fabricate some story.

Anyways, there are my two cents. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, and that's cool. I'm just trying to point out that ald-52 might not be as rare as some think it to be. Many of us might have tried it already.

Absolutely no way that anyone would go to the extra trouble of making 1-acetyl-LSD, risking a loss of precious product in the acetylation step--lysergamides are such sensitive molecules, they really don't like to be fucked with. If (in theory) someone did (for some god-unknown reason) make said compound, then the ALD-52 (a very cute anagram for LAD-25) would simply serve as a prodrug for regular LSD. I believe that if one were to conduct rigorous modernized double-blinded tests (oh what a glorious world it would be if research on lysergeramides was allowed), one would discover that the psychical difference between the two is insignificant--it wouldn't pass the 'acid test' [insert slide whistle] of p < 0.05.

Either way, if you have putative access to 'sheets' of quality blotter, consider yourself one lucky motherfucker.

PS: It has always been a sneaking suspicion of mine that at least some of the so-called "L" out there is actually LSM (N-morpholinyl-lysergamide). Perhaps someday we might even see IPLA and MIPLA, the N-isopropyl- and N-methylisopropyl-lsyergamides, out there. An aside: if we went to this naming scheme, then LSD would be DELA and N-a-hydroxyethyl-lysergamide would be HELA. I've always wanted to try MIPLA; the methylisopropyl tryptamines (4-OH-MiPT and 5-MeO-MiPT) are fantastic--although I've only been able to try 4-OH-MiPT--so why not the ergoloid?

Last edited:
Their are so many new psychedelics I keep on learning about that just make me want to hunt down a source and try it...

So ALD-52 is it hmmm have to try and find some dought I will have much luck though.

Riemann Zeta said:
Either way, if you have putative access to 'sheets' of quality blotter, consider yourself one lucky motherfucker.

PS: It has always been a sneaking suspicion of mine that at least some of the so-called "L" out there is actually LSM (N-morpholinyl-lysergamide). Perhaps someday we might even see IPLA and MIPLA, the N-isopropyl- and N-methylisopropyl-lsyergamides, out there. An aside: if we went to this naming scheme, then LSD would be DELA and N-a-hydroxyethyl-lysergamide would be HELA. I've always wanted to try MIPLA; the methylisopropyl tryptamines (4-OH-MiPT and 5-MeO-MiPT) are fantastic--although I've only been able to try 4-OH-MiPT--so why not the ergoloid?

Yeah very possibly so :)

^What makes you (both) thiknk that?

So ALD-52 is it? Thanks for clearing it up. Oh and its not just some dealer trying to make sales, he is a highly reliable person and I really trust what he said. Got very lucky with the whole thing, I know... >_O

ALD-52 rapidly degrades to LSD-25 and is an added step to make, the name "ALD-52" is often applied by dealers to LSD that is exceedingly "clean," but I personally highly doubt it is available.

I remember reading that ALD-52 degrades to LSD within days of being synthesized, so i doubt that this would even make it to the street level, as by the time it reached any distribution level dealer the blotter would just contain LSD.

Many, many years ago I had some orange sunshine (per the Shulgin reference, possibly ALD-52, as argued by the chemist, Tim Scully.)

It was by a long way the finest acid I ever tried. Despite being ridiculously strong, there was great clarity and no anxiety. Of course that could just be a matter of potency and purity (not to mention great set and setting) rather than it being a novel chemical.

To further muddy the waters, it seems that there may have been "copy-cat" batches of sunshine, not made by Scully. It has been reported that the mysterious Ron Stark supplied the Brotherhood of Eternal love with LSD from his European labs which was subsequently died orange and sold as sunshine. In fact, it's likely that this was the source of "my" sunshine, as the dates match better.

Stark was in possession of Richard "Operation Julie" Kemp's formula for very pure LSD synthesis. I'm very much in the "purity matters" camp, so that would alone explain the sensational experience I had on "my" sunshine. But let's not go round the purity issue again on this thread.

According to Scully's wiki entry, he's researching a book on the underground history of LSD production. If such a book materialises, it's probably the only way forward on the ALD-52 issue (and likely a fascinating read).

BTW, ALD-25 was first synthesised by Hoffman, and it was the published research that suggested it might have advantages over LSD. Scully got his synthesis information from the Sandoz patent.

As for claims that some of the LSD available today is in fact ALD-25, one would expect that this would have be confirmed by analysis of seized samples (eg Microgram bulletins), unless, as hypothesised, it quickly degrades to LSD. And if that's the case, why bother?

The thing is there's a whole series of potential analogues. LSM is not illegal in Britian ( at least) which is a very good reason to make it in the first place. There are others which seem to fall outside the catergory of controlled substance as well - AL -LAD, ETH LAD & others - read Tikhal if you really want to know.

mindsurfer said:
Many, many years ago I had some orange sunshine (per the Shulgin reference, possibly ALD-52, as argued by the chemist, Tim Scully.)

It was by a long way the finest acid I ever tried. Despite being ridiculously strong, there was great clarity and no anxiety. Of course that could just be a matter of potency and purity (not to mention great set and setting) rather than it being a novel chemical.

To further muddy the waters, it seems that there may have been "copy-cat" batches of sunshine, not made by Scully. It has been reported that the mysterious Ron Stark supplied the Brotherhood of Eternal love with LSD from his European labs which was subsequently died orange and sold as sunshine. In fact, it's likely that this was the source of "my" sunshine, as the dates match better.

Stark was in possession of Richard "Operation Julie" Kemp's formula for very pure LSD synthesis. I'm very much in the "purity matters" camp, so that would alone explain the sensational experience I had on "my" sunshine. But let's not go round the purity issue again on this thread.

According to Scully's wiki entry, he's researching a book on the underground history of LSD production. If such a book materialises, it's probably the only way forward on the ALD-52 issue (and likely a fascinating read).

BTW, ALD-25 was first synthesised by Hoffman, and it was the published research that suggested it might have advantages over LSD. Scully got his synthesis information from the Sandoz patent.

As for claims that some of the LSD available today is in fact ALD-25, one would expect that this would have be confirmed by analysis of seized samples (eg Microgram bulletins), unless, as hypothesised, it quickly degrades to LSD. And if that's the case, why bother?

I thought that they admitted that the ALD 52 thing was just a ploy to get off from prosecution. In fact I can remember clearly that they admitted to only making LSD.

^Either way, they would have had to make LSD to make ALD-52 if I recall correctly...

^^Same with Eth-LAD, Pro-LAD, etc... They are more difficult to synthesize because one requires pure diethyl-lysergamide to start with, first demethylating it at the 6 position to form nor-LSD, the re-alkylating it to finally arrive at Eth-LAD. As this may result in loss of the world's most rare and precious chemical product (LSD proper), I cannot see someone trying it.

The reason that I suspect that much of the "L" out there is actually LSM is the fact that it is easier to synthesize than the 6-alkyl analogues, being a one-shot synthesis from lysergamide or lysergic acid and the fact that its short duration (4-6 hours) closely matches much of the "L" out there (LSD proper is supposed to have an 8 hour duration). Also of note is the fact that the compound diethylamine is Schedule I / Class A whereas morpholine is not. Hence while LSM is illegal in the US, the precursors might be less suspicious and thus friendlier to someone looking to avoid the psychotically draconian life-sentence for synthesis of LSD proper.

To make ALD-52, you would have to make LSD first and then acetylate it. It makes no sense, especially considering it rapidly degrades right back into LSD anyways. Not to mention, it wouldn't help you avoid prosecution, even if ALD-52 were completely unscheduled (not familiar with the legality of ALD-52), you could still be prosecuted provided that the prosecution could prove that the production of ALD-52 necessitates an intermediary step whereby you are in possession of LSD. Saying you possess ALD-52 is basically admitting that you possessed LSD at some point, and having all the evidence to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.