• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcoholism Discussion Thread Version 7.0

I am an alcoholic who lost 20 years of my life to drinking. I could type forever but I'll keep it short. I've been in ER and detox countless times and rehab twice. Took a lot for me to put it down. I haven't had a drink in awhile but tapering off never worked for me or any other alcoholic I've met in AA. Either stop or don't. I know that's harsh but it's pretty cut and dry. People underestimate booze cause it's not your typical "drug" It's just as bad and Withdrawl can kill you. If you're thinking about stopping try to detox or go to detox then hit some meetings around town to see which ones you like. If you really don't wanna stop your chances are poor you will. You really have to want to get better for you and that's it. If you do it for someone else or now what I see, court, it won't help. I've seen amazing transformations in recovery and if your out there and a slave to the drink, take steps to break the pattern. Any questions I would be glad to answer. Just PM me. Good luck and be safe

Well this is my situation explained at the moment:

84828478.jpg

I'm seeing a new psychiatrist in a week and waiting to hear back from my psychologist. Essentially this year I wasted drinking booze at the pub or at the park. Am not keen on seeing another year go the same way. Although what I'd do right now for a beer in this heat :(

I haven't had a drink in awhile but tapering off never worked for me or any other alcoholic I've met in AA. Either stop or don't. I know that's harsh but it's pretty cut and dry. People underestimate booze cause it's not your typical "drug" It's just as bad and Withdrawl can kill you.

So if you're completely against tapering yet know that withdrawal can kill you what would you suggest to someone that's been drinking heavily for a long time? Your statement is totally contradictory because some people HAVE to taper unless they want to run the risk of seizures or even death. I'm not out to be insulting but I swear a lot of people in the AA crowd sound like misinformed cult members. After my last binge tapering with 2 pints of beer a day for a little less than a week saved me from a lot of grief and I pretty much felt normal while I was tapering and also after I went dry.

Last edited:
Hey Glitter. Long time no talk. :)
No more grape 211s?
I never liked wild turkey either.
I am however a discerning purveyor of top shelf rubbing alcohol.
No going to give you the superficial "should quit, cause it's bad for you " bullshit. Just wanted to say: Good to see you and be careful. :)

Wild Turkey 101... Pretty sure that's what I was drinking when I simultaneously opened/fell into the door to go back inside a few years ago. Ended up with a nice goose egg on my forehead lol.

I ran out of the wild turkey i just hope I don't spend the next day sweating it out have another 2 hours til i can get a 211 so I'm going to have to suffer til then

Ever since I gave up dope and moderated my drinking down to almost to a halt. I'm spending more money on energy drinks than booze and more time on the internet than I used to spend getting high.
That's awesome, Glitter. I don't care who you are, everybody needs a break even if that's all it is.

Id much rather smoke weed, but there's been like 26 people hospitalized cause spice last week it makes me think there not doing it right.its kind of like when your dealer gets some realy strong black and you hear about some ods and think i need some of that

The only thing that comes to mind when you mention spice is, people people busting through closed windows, on YouTube videos, after they do it. Maybe its different stuff, or something...
But if it's the same shit, doesn't look like fun, capt'n. :)
I always wanted to try it but I was scared. Besides, I don't even know where to get it in Chicago.

I got spice years ago and had some in parking lot of store and the ride home was scary as hell. Bad stuff. Anybody who decides to sober or clean up on anything their on is ok in my book. Sobriety is so much better....so much. I guess after awhile your mind knows your doing the right thing and rewards you with an almost high like buzz just off life. I meditate and sometimes if I have a good long session of meditation I come out of it and feel extremely high so you know drugs and drinking are so overrated. I mean just look at some of these threads of people in despair all bc they wanted to get high or drunk. Addiction is a disease and it wants to kill you. I don't care what anyone's drug of choice is, they want to kill you. Starts out awesome and you got the warm blanket of euphoria and then it turns on you and no more buzz just do it so you don't get sick. I know about this cause ever since my first joint and beer at 13, my whole life I've been immersed in chasing the dragon. I've been in recovery, I've relapsed a bunch. I'm not a dr or an expert by any means but I know about addiction so if anyone is on the fence about drinking or using, just don't and I promise life will get better. You will still crave prob the rest of your life but think and actions are different. I myself am just coming out of relapse and it sucks and it hurts and I crave like crazy but sobriety is so worth it. Action is the key to life. I don't wanna come off as preachy cause I hate that but I just wanted to shed some positivity to y'all. Sorry if I changed the subject. Serenity prayer saves my ass so many times and it works?

There was a very long phase that I went through, when every time I drank, l would *always* wind up smoking crack. Without fail.
So I can completely understand how Glitter, feels like doing something else when she drinks.
BTW, the crack obsession stopped as quickly as it began.
Go figure.
Hey, what happened to that guy "Phactor"? He used to be pretty active. Isn't he a mod?

Nuttynutskin, in comment to your earlier post, it was contradictory. I'll give you that. I ain't no AA cult member or nothing like that and I know what you mean in your statement about misinformed cult members. I can promise you though that unless it's some brand new young person who has no idea nobody knows more about alcohol than the sober people in AA do. They lived thru the hell of alcoholism. It's like any other group. Some people are idiots, assholes, and down right misinformed. No program or anything is perfect. I've been on 12th step calls with old timers and dudes were freakin and he had a pint of bourbon in his glovebox to help him "taper" down. It says right in the book to give a shaky prospect a bit of whiskey to calm his nerves and some require hospitalization. The book says one cannot just stop from heavy drinking to nothing cause it could kill you. And it ain't just AA shit I'm throwing out I lived that shit for 20+ years and I tried to abruptly stop and I'd wing up in ER or detox so I do know what I'm talking about. I'm just not very good at articulating thru typing so I'm very happy you caught my mistake. I'm also happy your taper worked for you. The last time I came in to AA I had to taper and it was similar to what you did 2-3 beers a day cause I would drink half gallons in one sitting so thank you for pointing out my flawed post and forgive me for standing up for a program that saved my life and taught me how to live. I ain't perfect and I'm having problem with something else now but my AA friends are helping me thru. Dude, I can't tell you how many meetings I walked out of cause I was like, this shit is a cult. So I get ya. Anyway thanks and peace