• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Addiction Worry

BigH

Greenlighter
Hi,

I recently went on a month and a half drinking bender from Feb 4th until March 17th. During this time the drinking periods were about 4 to 5 days in a row. In between I used diazepam for a come down anything between 20mg to 40mg a day then after a couple of days I'd be back on the drink. In all I did this regime about 11 times. The problem is the last week of the bender which ended 17th March I took a diazepam every day maybe a 10mg maybe a 20mg and went out drinking finishing by taking 50mg on Fri 18th of March spread out over the day no alcohol. I have used diazepam for over 10 years to come off drinking benders but these only happen about once every two months (so maybe in 10 years I've taken 20mg to 40mg every two to three months, and never felt like reaching for one the day after the detox).

My question is have I taken enough diazepam over the last month and a half to become physically addicted? It's day 3 off the diazepam and I fell a bit tired nad lethargic but apart from that no other real symptoms. Do you think I have taken enough to become physically addicted to them. I don't feel like reaching for one. Thanks in advance for any answers.

if you continue drinking and popping benzos like this you will be. right now if you are 3 days out and not in serious withdrawal and feel ok consider yourself lucky.
if you start to get shaky you may need to taper off i bit.

in about 24-48 hours the valium will be a lot lower in your system and you may start to feel those effects. try and not redose valium or booze for a good while so you can really baseline.

Thanks for the information, it's really the first time I've taken them for more than 1 day every few months and don't plan on doing it again anytime soon. Just worried if I have taken enough to be physically addicted, get withdrawals.

Its hard to determine how much and how often you took them, based on your post, idk maybe I'm not reading it right. Valuim has a fairly long half life, so if you have no wd symptoms after 3 days, that doesn't necessarily mean you're out of the woods yet. I'd say if you still feel OK by day 5 or 6, then you should be good. However, I wouldn't press your luck. Physical addiction to benzos can creep up on you fast! In The future, I wouldn't take it more than once per week.

- Hopeless Soul

I took them maybe once per week for 5 weeks of the drinking bender, then for 5 days straight the last week of the drinking bender. The doeses on the last 5 days being between 10mg and 20mg.

Well you should be fine with the once per week part, but doing them for 5 days straight is definitely cutting it close. Consider yourself lucky if you make it through scratch free! Also don't think just 'cause you didn't become physically addicted this time, from doing them 5 days straight, that you won't become addicted the next time. There is no alarm or warning that goes off, telling you "hey you're getting close to dependency!" It creeps up on you without warning. Be careful with them benzos man. Stay safe!

- Hopeless Soul

It's possible to develop benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms after only a few days of consecutive use, but at the dosages you listed, it's unlikely. If you're worried about it you could do a quick taper but I don't think that'll be necessary. Diazepam is one of the weaker benzodiazepines, so even 50mg is not a huge dose, it's like taking 2.5mg of xanax or clonazepam.

How long after taking the doses I have described would I feel the full withdrawals if there were going to be any? Thanks.