• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and horrible mouth sores

I always got sore bumpy lips and cheeks from adderal, but I think it was mostly just from me chewing on my lips and sucking on the inside of my cheek. I just started chewing gum all day whenever I took them and it helped.

This is often the cause, and as you and others have found out, there is an easy and simple solution. :)

Amphetamine salts and the resulting jaw grinding/clenching used to play hell with my gums as a student speed freak: I don't do stimulants anymore, but I'd try the magnesium cure if I was going to. Seems popular and effective.

Cold sores is caused by the herpes virus, it has nothing to do with amphetamines. Amps could of made your symptoms worse, but there is no way they caused them. Amps thoufh are known for causing dry mouth and jaw clenching. You could have been chomping hard and bit your lips or cheeks

to prevent (as in treat it before you take the adderall) dose 300mg chelated magnesium. if you have the sores and want to get ris of them, swish saltwater in you mouth, and drink very cold liquids, if possible, holding each sip in your mouth for 3 seconds before swallowing. Honestly they usually go away after i sleep and my body recovers. Do you redose your adderall? Are you abusing it or using it as directed on the Rx bottle? If you're abusing it, then try not to take more than once dose, youll find that those "sores" will be much less bothersome, and combined with the Mg and saltwater, you should be good.

I find that if you drink enough water ("enough" is a lot more than youd imagine) you get almost no side effects, especially the sores and restless teeth/tongue. The only side effect I got when I did that was insomnia, but to be fair, i hadnt smoked weed in a week, and it made an insomniac during that period, because I cant sleep without it.

Water, Magnesium, Saltwater, No redosing (if you must redose, only do so once, as going beyond that seems to make the pleasurable effects hardly noticable, and the negative effects increase). thats all ya gotta remember.

Guys I also get these sores on the side of my tongue which I call ulcers. I have worked out these are simply caused by rubbing against your teeth due to the jaw clenching and constant swallowing caused by amphetamines. Is this what you are asking about?

Take Zinc, use mouth wash and brush your teeth.

Avoid salt, carbonated beverages and acidic foods.

If they get bad enough, see your family doctor for a medication (probably a topical steroid) to place inside of your mouth. (Let him prescribe you of course, he knows better than I do about you.) These types of sores can become excruciatingly painful if treatment is not taken.

Take Zinc, use mouth wash and brush your teeth.

Avoid salt, carbonated beverages and acidic foods.

If they get bad enough, see your family doctor for a medication (probably a topical steroid) to place inside of your mouth. (Let him prescribe you of course, he knows better than I do about you.) These types of sores can become excruciatingly painful if treatment is not taken.

never experienced any severe sores, just lumps all over my mouth, making speaking difficult.

also, im pretty sure saltwater rinseing your mouth with help. I use it evertime i use amphetamines, works very well.

and +1 on zinc and brushing teeth.

I'd be more than willing to bet that those are not canker sores - it's thrush.
Just go to the doctor and they will prescribe you a mouth rinse and it will be gone in a few days.

I currently have 7 of those sores from Adderall, and to me it seems like the last few times ive been on Adderall, no matter how much water I drink, my mouth wont stay wet, and I get sores from my teeth rubbing against the dry skin for most of the day.....I just read that while on Adderall the production of saliva either stops or slows down. so It would make sense it would give you sores. as far as a way to treat it/ prevent it? Wish I knew, the tongue sore is really painful

I always got sore bumpy lips and cheeks from adderal, but I think it was mostly just from me chewing on my lips and sucking on the inside of my cheek. I just started chewing gum all day whenever I took them and it helped.

same for me, gum helped a lot

I am new to the forum and this thread caught my immediate attention. I am prescribed 4-20 mg of addreral a day( only because my doctor refuses to give me my old script of vyvanese that worked fine. I have never had a cole sore, nor canker sore until last Friday when I ran to the drugstore to get a medication to numb it. The pain has subsided for now and I am going to explore this further. .Thank you for this post.

Last edited:
sores? you're lucky! i had a terrible habit of chewing my lips raw.

amphetamines are terrible on your mouth in general... i think everyone who uses should have a pack of gum on them..

I've started using meth a couple months ago. I haven had a cold sore in 18 years. I developed a terrible nasty cold sore on the side of my mouth a few days ago. Could my system be weekend from light recent regular use?

I don't know, it seems like a lot of you guys are getting these sores and just playing it off like nothing but if you get a fever with these sores, DEFINITELY go to a doctor. When i first got my prescription to Ritalin/Adderall i was afraid to even take it for like 2 weeks after reading that these medications have a chance of making you develop a condition called Stevens Johnson Syndrome. Really scary looking and can be deadly.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens–Johnson_syndrome

Tongue sores when mfg changed from Sandoz to Mallinckrodt for amphetamine salts

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Last month Costco changed the manufacturer of my prescription for 120 -20mg amphetamine salts prescription from (mfg.) Sandoz (Orange tablets) to Mallinckrodt (white tablets) - I was happy (at the time) because the price went from $78.83 to $49.26. They even put a special green sticker on the bottle that said "this is the same medication you have been getting. Color, size or shape may appear different"[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Not knowing why (at the time) about three weeks ago my tongue began to have little blister like sores on the front & on both sides. My mouth was so painful for weeks that I didn't even want to talk or do anything. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Then last weekend while I was away on vacation, my tongue constantly hurting I had a flashback of (maybe 20-30) years ago when I was getting a dr's prescription for amphetamine capsules. I had run out of my prescription & bought one from someone at work & I got the worst sores on my tongue!!.(I never bought another one). [/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I returned home last Tuesday and on Wednesday morning instead of taking the white ones (Mallinckrodt) that I had been taking (& only had with me on our trip) I took some from a previously filled prescription of the Orange ones (Sandoz) that I still had left - within 1-2 days all of the sores on my tongue were gone & my tongue was fine. [/COLOR]

Definitely from Adderall

This last time I took it, my mouth broke out with EIGHT canker sores. They are all along my tongue on both sides and inside my lower and upper lips. It have gotten one or two, but this time was the worst. I think it might be because of not sleeping or eating much and immune system goes to shit...but I have never heard of anyone having this problem. It is so painful you can't imagine...then when I finally eat I hurts so bad...sometimes it hurts to even drink anything. Then after a few nights sleep they go away. Weird!! Has anyone else had this?

I have been taking adderall for about a year now. I have tested it about 5 times. Each time I get off of them, the sores go away. Right within a week after starting again i get these painful sores in my mouth and my tongue.And they hurt bad. Adderall dehydrates us. That doesnt help with the sores either.

I have been taking adderall for about a year now. I have tested it about 5 times. Each time I get off of them, the sores go away. Right within a week after starting again i get these painful sores in my mouth and my tongue.And they hurt bad. Adderall dehydrates us. That doesn't help with the sores either.

Welcome to bluelight I would like to formally welcome you and ask you to please go ahead and take an opportunity to review the forum rules and guidelines. This is a really old thread and I did not see a whole lot of HR information in this post and this thread regardless of being old is already quite a bit of a mess, so I will leave it open because it is good info for people that have questions about sores, though I do not see any reason to have brought it back from the dead. Please just keep things like this in mind before you post.

Apologies if someone else has already said this, but I didn't see it mentioned while skimming through..

Yes, chewing the inside of your mouth is to me, perhaps the most painful part of using amps. The jaw clenching is also referred to as " bruxism" , if I'm not mistaken.

From personal experience, this gets worse the longer I'm awake..body wearing down,I suppose. Yes, magnesium supplements help (along with preventing tolerance and possibly can be a sleep aid.