• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Adam Goodes racially vilified by 14 year old girl.

'DEVASTATED': McGuire sorry for Goodes gorilla gaffe

Eddie McGuire says he 'wasn't even thinking' after making on-air gaffe linking Adam Goodes to King Kong musical

UPDATE: EDDIE McGuire has reiterated his apology for an on-air gaffe about Adam Goodes this morning, insisting that he meant the opposite of what he actually said.
McGuire provoked outrage after suggesting on his Triple M breakfast show that the Sydney star could be invited to promote King Kong - The Musical, just days after a 13-year-old Collingwood supporter racially vilified the Swans player by calling him an "ape'' at the MCG.

McGuire quickly apologised on-air for his comments, claiming he was "exhausted", before Goodes took to Twitter to send the message: "Morning Australia this is what I have woken up to".
In an afternoon press conference, McGuire said he "wasn't even thinking" when what he said "slipped out".
"I wasn’t racially vilifying anyone this morning, I made a comment," he said. "I was thinking the opposite.
"I made a slip today and it's one that I regret. It happens sometimes. I wasn't on my game.

"But there's no excuses. I put my foot in it and I stand here today to say I did the wrong. For that, I'm absolutely sorry.
"When I realised what had been said ... I made the appropriate phone calls to make sure everyone understood my position."

McGuire said he spoke to Goodes to apologise personally, as well as contacting Sports Minister Kate Lundy, AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou and Richard Collis, chairman of the Sydney Swans.
McGuire said he was sorry that Goodes had woken up "to a day he didn’t need to have" but that the Swan had "again showed the class that he has" by taking his phone call and accepting his apology.
He said Goodes was "really upset". When asked if he thought Goodes felt vilified by his comments, McGuire said no, "because he knows me".
McGuire pointed to numerous indigenous programmes at Collingwood that he had helped to implement as club president.

"I absolutely stand for equality. It is the absolute bedrock of everything I stand for," he insisted. "(Equality) is the hallmark of my presidency."
"It's everything I stand for, it's why my parents came out to this country in the first place. So it burns me to the core."
McGuire said he would be "eternally disappointed" that the incident happened.

When asked how his comments came about, McGuire said when the subject of the King King show came up, he was thinking "about the way that people used to promote these things and how things have changed".
"One of the things I take from all this, apart from the disappointment, is that you have to be on your guard all the time," he said. "I believe in zero tolerance on this situation."
When asked if he might resign over the incident, he said: "You don’t resign over the slip of the tongue."
"I understand my position in Australian society and in Australian sport," he said.

"It was unintentional, I’m a responsible and experienced broadcaster. I was tired this morning… Bad luck.
"Today was the abnormality … I was half-asleep when I did it. It was an indictment of the professionalism of my performance."
When he was asked about a comment he made on air in 2011 when he dubbed Sydney's west "the land of the falafel", while discussing the GWS Giants, he dismissed it as a "joke with Sheeds" (Kevin Sheedy) and compared it to the Irish jokes he used to cop in school.

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/nationa...al/story-fncynjr2-1226652776987#ixzz2UeqA79Zx

Goodes not happy with Eddie apology

McGuire apology fails to appease Goodes

Adam Goodes has refused to accept Eddie McGuire's apology for his inappropriate comment about using the Swans star to promote the musical King Kong.

McGuire contacted Goodes in an attempt to explain away the comment, but it is understood Goodes remains deeply hurt, despite McGuire saying in a statement that Goodes had accepted the apology.

"I have contacted the Sydney Swans to explain the situation to Adam Goodes personally. Adam was gracious enough to take my call and expressed his disappointment," said McGuire.

"Adam accepted my apology and acknowledged my strong commitment and record in tackling racial vilification not just on the football field but in the wider community."

However, it is believed that Goodes sees the situation differently.

McGuire was discussing with Luke Darcy, on their breakfast radio show on Triple M, a promotion of the King Kong musical in which an ape’s hand was hung from the Eureka Skydeck, 300 metres above the ground.

Darcy said: "One of the great promos ever was the hand coming out of the Eureka tower. What a great promo that is for King Kong."

McGuire interjected: "Get Adam Goodes down for it, you reckon?"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...ease-goodes-20130529-2napr.html#ixzz2UewajZ9w

Yeah complete twat. What shits me most is that he was so fast to berate the young girl and even at the time it came across as a big marketing stunt the way he rushed to the change rooms etc.

Karma is a beautiful thing and in this case did not take long to bite back.

Eddie Macguire............your a goose of the highest order.