• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

A theory on why people with more intelligence are prone to depression............

I don't really think it's because they cannot bridge the gap, I think it's because they analyze things a little too much, and their analyzations usually morph to dwellings. The majority of the population will accept what is told to them, as long as there is data present to back the theory up. But there are some out there who find faults right away, and go on a search for the truth. Usually the truth isn't satisfying like the original was, which is why most fall into a depressive state. Ahh, ignorance truly is bliss.

Sweet-e, I loved your post and agree wholeheartedly. I would venture to say that the intelligent individual is a product of his/her own ambitions and introspective thinking. Intelligence works on many different levels, and I'm a person who constantly is struggling with Universal questions such as Life, Religion, Intelligence, Sanity, ect..
To find happiness within our mental confines is no laymans task when confronted with such provocative questions. Each individual has the power within their mind to drive themselves mad. Freud spoke of the 'Ego' (conscious) and 'Id' (subconscious) thoughts that propegate us. These two forms of thought are clearly segregated and the latter is brought out clearly only in dreams or can be induced by drugs or hypnosis. I think the more intelligent person is more in touch with his/her subconscious or 'inner being.'
A good point was brought into perspective saying that the more deeply thoughtful person is barely in touch with the world around themselves and prefer the path of introspection. Thus, you can see where social skills may lack and a sense of character may be less obvious to those around them. With so many unanswered questions facing us, you can also see where a level of uncertainty and insecurity may be focused upon by these people, and that can be brought out in ones outward demeanor.
My point, is that the the intelligent person, focuses inward, while those who focus their persona towards the outside world, find happiness in the simple process of being, as opposed to understanding.
Depression is yourself, your flaws, your ambitions, magnified and dwelled upon to the point of uncertainty. If insanity is a lost path, then depression is the broken compass that we refuse to let guide us. It is our troubled minds that can no longer accept human instinct as law, but flaw.
What world is this?
Of what shores?
What are our flaws?
Are the flaws?
If we indulge in them, where will they lead us?
Big Questions - Girl Interrupted.
Kyk.

Just to add, I don't really think that the more intelligent individual is really much more depressed, but simply focuses their anger, and negative feelings inward, rather than outward. This self-infliction is made by the apparently not-so-simple reasoning that those around us don't deserve to be on the ass end of our inner frustrations.
Why do you think therapists use the release of anger method as part of thier practice?
Just a thought,
Kyk.

Well said Kyk. I age with you on alot of your points specailly this one.
Freud spoke of the 'Ego' (conscious) and 'Id' (subconscious) thoughts that propegate us. These two forms of thought are clearly segregated and the latter is brought out clearly only in dreams or can be induced by drugs or hypnosis. I think the more intelligent person is more in touch with his/her subconscious or 'inner being.'
This rings so tru in quite alot of my indebth philosohpical questions with Flower.
I loved reading waht you had to say. I can relate to it in so many ways.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Peace......Ru
------------------
"""Virtual JAY"""
What the HELL are you talking about.......Pissing on wippits is fun :)
I can't go to work STONED!
I am just T........Rashed!!!!!!!!

firstrays...you pointed out that "You don't see too many astrophysicists painting a masterpiece do you?" Art and science do tend to be segregated, often to a fault. However, one is impossible without the other. While not a masterpiece in the sense of Picasso or Dali, a scientist sees beautiful art in a microscope or by studying the world on a molecular level.
On the main discussion here....i think that the "depression" that comes from going off the bridge that you spoke of and delving into the unknown, a large part of it does stem in part from the lack of answers and realization that those answers are out of reach. A part of it for me is frustration at those who don't care to know the answers, those who follow blindly through without questioning. Depression is so often put in a negative light and seen as an ailment of this century, and I do agree that for many it is a serious affliction. I would never belittle the personal struggle that many people suffer through quietly. Yet I see it as almost a necessary evil in the whole process of knowledge. Most of you agreed that a higher intelligence puts you at a higher risk for feelings of depression and hopelessness when you inevitably run into that brick wall that we all face now and then. But intelligence and emotions are so closely linked in most people that I don't think that there is any way to avoid it. It would be almost impossible to think and reason on a level that allows you to ask these questions about life, spirituality, etc., without involving your feelings. No matter how hard you try to be detached from all of it, eventually you will have to feel the magnitude of what you've learned (or haven't learned). Without this depression, the sadness, you wouldn't have learned anything. Most of the symptoms of clinical depression (i.e. self-doubt, guilt, hopelessness) might just be your body's response to your mind's frustrations.
I don't see an ignorant person as one who merely lacks knowledge, but more the person who realizes what they don't have and yet has no desire to learn. They are the ones who are content to live life trusting in the bridges that get them neatly through, and not questioning what is under them. Not so much my depression, but the indignation that it's based on, comes from these people. They don't realize that those of us who do choose to gain knowledge and forge off of the "beaten path" are the ones who put those bridges there. The bridges appear when someone takes the time to seek out, not just the answers, but the questions themselves, making the way for others behind them. Those who stand meekly by, waiting for someone to answer the question for them and blindly accepting any answer as the truth, are part of the problem rather than the solution.
I think that when you hear intelligent people referred to as anti-social or introverted, a lot of it may come not from self-consciousness, but the feeling that those around them have given up on that quest for knowledge. When was the last time that you craved a conversation that involved more than fluff and nonsense? Did you spend time trying to explain that to the people that you were with, or did you try to find an outlet for it elsewhere? Maybe they questioned your silence, and labeled it as something else. But anyone who has ever been called the brain, or the nerd, or the bookworm, may have suffered from all of these things, but most knew deep-down that the answers they were seeking couldn't be found in the right haircut, or the right clothes, so they either kept it to themselves or searched for someone who would understand it all. A large part of the sadness for me came from thinking that there was no one to understand. Depression can be an ugly monster that traps you inside yourself, so the next time you go away from the crowd and peek under those bridges, make sure someone is holding your hand.
thanks for letting me ramble guys, hope at least some of that made sense

I have only skipped over the above posts but i think the word "intelligent people" should be substituted with "deeper people". You can be intelligent in terms of IQ, yet still not question the world and yourself in relation to it.
I find all of the above posts to be true with deeper people. But this leads to the question should being deeper really just be swapped for the term depressive? Is there a difference I often ask myself.
I often get depressed as a result of deep thinking but am I really deep thinking, or just acting out the thoughts that are depression?

I do not consider my self an inteligent person, but i do often find my self looking at my life and saying if there is an all loving good why am i here in middle class life while other,actually the majority of the world, live in poverty? Sometimes i can not sleep. I keep my self awake with ideas on how to help the world. Or i can keep my self up all night wondering what happens when I die? Is there a bridge when u die or is it just a gap? my thoughts are always displaced and confused and I am almost always depressed with such thoughts. I spend most of time time reading other peoples philosophys and beliefs to try and satisfy my own gaps. The most interesting Theory I ever read was At the shroomery, web page, It was a level 5 trip report called the "inner revelation" You should read it if you ever get the chance. It is very intersting. The person describes how he feels that the world , universe, every thing was tied into one hugh equation that was in the shape of the infinity symbol. all the values in the equation where changing when they come into contack with others. Meaning that everything has an influence on everything else. well anyway it helped to bridge a gap for me.
Would some one let me know if this made any sense at all? or was it just the ramblings of a confused boy?
------------------
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'till I'm sane.
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.
-Pink Floyd

Deep thinking= sadness? Yep.
Aren't your happiest moments when you feel so absorbed in reality (sex/ tripping/ dance) that you're not thinking at all?
I would say that those states are closer to the truth than any theory or ideas any philosopher could come up with.
Maybe deep thought leads to depression because the nature of reality is that you can't understand it. I totally agree with the "infinity sign" from the shroom report. It's all about if you can accept the infinity sign or not. If you can, you have a chance at being happy.
A blown mind is a happy, open mind.
Remember being a little kid and running outside to go sledding? I'd give any concept in the world for that feeling.

I think any connection between intelligence and depression is specious, for these two reasons:
1.) There isn't a universally accepted standard of intelligence, and it has been defined in several different ways.
2.) The causes of depression are complex, and I doubt they can be whittled down to philosophical dissatisfaction with the world.
3.) Evidence seems to indicate that more "intelligent" people are in fact more well-adjusted than people of "average" intelligence, and in better mental health overall.

I've just read through a this entire thread and there are a few things I'd just like to throw in.
First off, I think that most of the posts are a little off the mark in that they are all ascribing depression to the being more intelligent or even deeper thinkers. I have been battling with depression for over 15 years now and I've met probably hundreds of other people with depression. That people who are depressed can be generalized or categorized under a single label is ludicrous. I know of people who just plough through life without thinking of any of the big pictures or trying to unravel any associations in the world around them who are depressed as well as people who are doing research on the human genome and have to be reminded every day not to jump out of a window. And I'm not talking about just chemical depression either...many of these people have reasons and feel that they have driven themselves to depression.
Another point I have is that even if it were true that "intelligent" people are more prone to depression, which I don't believe to be true, perhaps the equation that you have intelligence + thinking = depression, is actually written down wrong. Perhaps it is should read depression + thinking = intelligence. (I'm just thinking out loud here and playing devil's advocate).
Another point I'd like to make is that in at least one post I read here I read that someone's depression comes from their frustration that the rest of the world just goes mindlessly into their lives and don't think about the big picture....perhaps the flaw isn't in refusing to look at the big picture but is in fact in trying to hard to find a big picture. In fact, what some of you seem to be saying is in fact remarkably close to what lead to the creation of religions in the first place. Someone once looked around and didn't like the fact that the big picture was so disordered and so imposed an order on it...that order took thet form of religion and gods. God is the greatest invention since the wheel (Or was he before the wheel?). Anyway...gods helped people answer questions that they couldn't answer...like what are the stars, where did we come from, where do we go, what's the point, and why does it rain. All those gods died out because science and/or man discovered what really made it rain, what the stars were etc. The current gods only really explain two things...where did we come from and where are we going. They are theories, unprovable but as of yet conclusively undeniable. If at any point in the future...just like any theory...they can be proven one way or another, the theory will cease to be a theory and a fact will come out of it.
But sorry I digressed a little there...the point is that being if being angry or upset that the rest of the world sees things in a way other than what you think is right upsets you, then maybe you should learn to be more tolerant. You are not right, anymore than they are.
Perhaps we are all looking at depression wrong. Instead of it being a result of something, perhaps it is the cause of something. And perhaps you are just confusing depression with your own feelings of impotence -- your feelings of helplessness at not being able to change the world to the way you would like it. Maybe, just maybe, the world is alright the way it is. Sure there is injustice, but like the originator of this post said, you can't have the yin without the yang.
That's just my two cents. If anyone wants to give me back some change, I'd greatly appreciate it.
------------------

Just a quick response to transpants...I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think I expressed myself as clearly as I wanted. I don't live my life on the credo that anyone who thinks differently than I do is wrong. That's a ridiculous assumption for a person to make and I am not arrogant enough to believe that I'm right about anything 5% of the time, much less all of the time. My feelings of anger stem more from the personal attacks that I've suffered from the very people who do think that way. Those who would belittle me and my ideas simply because they're not viewed as average or normal. Would love to hear more of your thoughts on this though...either here or email me.

i thikn ur theory is fucked up, and it may have been triggerd by someone who you precieve to be "smarter" than you did something that pissed you off or made you feel bad. i think u should re-evaluate yourself. maybe you arent as "stupid" as you thought, i think people are all alike in this way that is undrescibable of words, maybre because i took some acid last night im still just thinkin crazy, maybe im a prodigy who stumbles apon these divine theory's. life is fucked up if u try to figure it out to much ur gunna hurt yourself

i thikn ur theory is fucked up, and it may have been triggerd by someone who you precieve to be "smarter" than you, they maybe did something that pissed you off or made you feel bad. i think u should re-evaluate yourself. maybe you arent as "stupid" as you thought.

life is fucked up if u try to figure it out to much ur gunna hurt yourself
Yes, thank you for that eclectic wisdom, oh... what was your name... ah, yes, LSDis4Me...
i thikn ur theory is fucked up, and it may have been triggerd by someone who you precieve to be "smarter" than you, they maybe did something that pissed you off or made you feel bad.
I think you are reading this post from a very shallow light. "A theory on why people with intelligence are more prone to depression" is the title of this post, and provides one theory on why, statistically speaking, people of higher intelligence have been found to be more prone to depression.
It was not a post about how a "smart" person made another person feel bad... where are you getting this from, anyway?

I do not think that more intellegent people are prone to depression. I think it all depends on the person involved. Just because someone is smarter, doesn't mean that they ponder every little thought that crosses their mind. I think it has a lot to do with whether or not the person is searching for more answers to some tough questions. Many smart people continue to learn and grow and pick their brains and are quite happy with themselves. It all depends on whether or not the person decideds to let a question eat away at them. Some people are happy with their searching and actually enjoy it. Other people well they just cannot be content with the search and when they do not find the answers they are looking for, they become confused, angry, or depressed. So I believe it is all up to the individual person. I mean a stupid person could become depressed over the fact that they don't know why the sky is blue.
Fugly
------------------
fugliness is a virtue

I've just read this whole thread and i'd like to submit some of my thoughts. First of all there may not be a direct correlation from intelligence to depression. For the most part clinical depression has to do with neurochemical imbalance. But I do agree that many intelligent people are prone to depression. in fact feel like I am one of them. Attending a top-ten university I actually witness this phenomena, my school is set in a beautiful setting, trees, no pollution, rolling hills, sunshine year round and everyone there is sad as hell. Intelligent people use their skills to solve problems, they like to explain the unexplainable. Be it through postulating a theorem on quantum mechanics or putting emotion on canvas, each has their own medium. The fact is many are idealists and very analytical. They go through their life providing answers for themselves, but many times they find themselves face-planted against a brick wall. (ie 'meaning of life') As Nietzche one said "Hope is life's greatest stimulant" - or something to that effect. What i'm trying to say is that, adding the ego factor to their inablity to provide answers for some of the things we encounter in life leads to a depressed state..a loss of hope. And for me it is through things such as friendship, love, enlightenment, and most of all MUSIC is how i 'keep hope alive'. 'share the groove

DAMN i just regestered and i typed my name wrong its suposed to be KlouD oh well.
i was reading and thinking that perhaps all these question and second guessing is cuased by a distrust in the social structure. maybe the "hippies" did know what they were talking about when they blamed everything on society. I too am not the greates fan of our society i was just born into it. there are many problems with the structure of society and the depression may be cause because we feel there is nothing we can do fix it.
------------------
-------------------------
Education should be about the development of ones mind and not the stuffing of ones memory

I was just going aroue and looking at other post and came across this I think it can aplly to thinking about things too much as well
The Uncertianty Principle by Werner Heinsberg (a synopsis)
At the thoretical limits of measurement, the very act of measuring alters what we observe in a way that keeps the truth a quantum beyond our reach. Example, if we use light to see where a microscopic particle is, the light itself moves the particle enough to make the particle's original position uncertian.
This is so true. I think we try to explain and measure too many things. And in our quest to measure these things we take too many procedures and steps to measure what is unknown. Your thoughts??
------------------
-------------------------
Education should be about the development of ones mind and not the stuffing of ones memory
[This message has been edited by KouD (edited 20 December 2000).]