• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

A Quote Thread....

Facekhan said:
I'm partial to babylon 5 quotes

"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those, whose lives are brief can imagine that love .. is eternal. .. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."
Babylon 5, Lorien to Ivanova, Into the Fire

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~albert/Quotes/B5-quotes.html

will you be my best friend. i love the babylon 5 quotes, they are among the most influential things i have ever heard and taken to heart.

Lol. i use to be a moderator of the babylon 5 chat room on AOL during the series first run. god im a dork. and not the whale penis kind.

Cherish your visions; cherish your ideals; cherish the music that stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind, the loveliness that drapes your purest thoughts, for out of them will grow delightful conditions, all heavenly environment; of these if you but remain true to them, your world will at last be built.
- - - James Allen

A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanged; it is the skin of a living thought, and may vary greatly in color and content according to the circumstances and the time in which it is used.
- - - Oliver Wendell Holmes, opinion, Towne v. Eisner, January 7, 1918

Somewhere there was once a Flower, a Stone, a Crystal, a Queen, a King, a Palace, a Lover and his Beloved, and this was long ago, on an Island somewhere in the ocean 5,000 years ago ... Such is Love, the Mystic Flower of the Soul. This is the Center, the Self.
- - - Carl Jung

"Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion."
— Morihei Ueshiba, from The Art of Peace (p. 56)

"That which does not kill me makes me stronger."
— Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self."
— Hindustani proverb

"The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back."
— Abigail Van Buren

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear — not absence of fear."
— Mark Twain

"The Way of the Samurai is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance. . . . (if) one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way."
— from Hagakure, by Yamamoto Tsunetomo (Wilson translation)

"If there is any hope for the future, it surely must rest upon the ability to stare unflinchingly into the heart of darkness."
— unknown

"People who really study the arts of war are almost without exception nonviolent individuals. The achievement of real skill requires considerable discipline and self control, two traits which eradicate violent behavior."
— Richard Ryan, from Master of the Blade (p. 21)

"Do every act of your life as if it were your last."
— Marcus Aurelis

"The gentleman desires to be halting in speech but quick in action."
— Confucius

"I can't shake your hand because I've been touching my arse"

- unknown stranger who had just been introduced to me in Fresher's week.

"no one can make you feel inferior without your consent" eleanor roosevelt

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing." edmund burke

alasdair

"The nature of the mind is like a mirror which has the natural and inherent capacity to reflect whatever is set before it, whether beautiful or ugly; but these reflections in no way affect or modify the nature of the mirror. It is the same with the state of contemplation: There is nothing to correct or alter or modify. What the practitioner does when entering into contemplation is simply to discover himself in the condition of the mirror."

Namkhai Norbu
SELF-LIBERATION THROUGH SEEING WITH NAKED AWARENESS

Conceal your passion....your sickness is also your medicine because love to the soul is as wine in a glass---- what you see is liquid, what is hidden is its spirit....Conceal your troubles ; then, should the seas roar and the skies fall, you will be safe.
In the house of ignorance there is no mirror in which to view your soul.
Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of "sanity." The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means.
The sympathy that touches the neighbors heart is more supreme than the hidden virtue in the unseen corners of the convent. A word of compassion to the weak criminal or prostitute is nobler than the long prayer which we repeat emptily everyday in the temple.

~Kahlil Gibran

^ love the quotes

yet another osho quote i ran into:

"There is a totally different quality of being which comes by not thinking: not good, not bad, simply a state of no-thinking. You simply watch, you simply remain conscious, but you don´t think. And if some thought enters... they will enter, because thoughts are not yours; they are just floating in the air. All around there is a noosphere, a thought-sphere, all around. Just as there is air, there is thought all around you, and it goes on entering on its own accord. It stops only when you become more and more aware. There is something in it: if you become more aware, a thought simply disappears, it melts, because awareness is a greater energy than thought.

Awareness is like fire to thought. It is just like you burn a lamp in the house and the darkness cannot enter; you put the light off - from everywhere darkness has entered; without taking a single minute, a single moment, it is there. When the light burns in the house, the darkness cannot enter. Thoughts are like darkness: they enter only if there is no light within. Awareness is fire: you become more aware, less and less thoughts enter.

If you become really integrated in your awareness, thoughts don´t enter you; you have become an impenetrable citadel, nothing can penetrate you. Not that you are closed, remember - you are absolutely open; but just the very energy of awareness becomes your citadel. And when no thoughts can enter you, they will come and they will bypass you. You will see them coming, and simply, by the time they reach near you they turn. Then you can move anywhere, then you go to the very hell - nothing can affect you. This is what we mean by enlightenment."

All by Ralph Waldo Emerson......an amazing poet and writer.

~Dear to us are those who love us... but dearer are those who reject us as unworthy, for they add another life; they build a heaven before us whereof we had not dreamed, and thereby supply to us new powers out of the recesses of the spirit, and urge us to new and unattempted performances.

~Accept the place the divine providence has found for you, the society of your contemporaries, the connection of events.

~To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it.

~All conservatives are such from personal defects. They have been effeminated by position or nature, born halt and blind, through luxury of their parents, and can only, like invalids, act on the defensive.

~Out of love and hatred, out of earnings and borrowings and leadings and losses; out of sickness and pain; out of wooing and worshipping; out of traveling and voting and watching and caring; out of disgrace and contempt, comes our tuition in the serene and beautiful laws.

~Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think.

~I hate this shallow Americanism which hopes to get rich by credit, to get knowledge by raps on midnight tables, to learn the economy of the mind by phrenology, or skill without study, or mastery without apprenticeship.

~'Tis very certain that each man carries in his eye the exact indication of his rank in the immense scale of men, and we are always learning to read it. A complete man should need no auxiliaries to his personal presence.

~Crime and punishment grow out of one stem. Punishment is a fruit that, unsuspected, ripens with the flower of the pleasure that concealed it.

~Each work of art excludes the world, concentrates attention on itself. For the time it is the only thing worth doing --to do just that; be it a sonnet, a statue, a landscape, an outline head of Caesar, or an oration. Presently we return to the sight of another that globes itself into a whole as did the first, for example, a beautiful garden; and nothing seems worth doing in life but laying out a garden.

~Infancy conforms to nobody: all conform to it, so that one babe commonly makes four or five out of the adults who prattle and play to it.

~We ascribe beauty to that which is simple; which has no superfluous parts; which exactly answers its end; which stands related to all things; which is the mean of many extremes.

~There are books which take rank in your life with parents and lovers and passionate experiences, so medicinal, so stringent, so revolutionary, so authoritative.

~All great masters are chiefly distinguished by the power of adding a second, a third, and perhaps a fourth step in a continuous line. Many a man had taken the first step. With every additional step you enhance immensely the value of your first.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.;)

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
- Nietzsche

"Love is Pain's most convincing Disguise"
- Me, but im sure there are many quotes like that.

"Racism and Bigotry are choices. Skin Color and Birth Location aren't"
- Myself

"Drugs Don't depart you from the real world. Instead, they introduce you to a brand new one."
- I

"Death with dignity is better than life with humiliation."
- Husayn ibn Ali

"The Ocean is a body of water occupying about two thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills."
- Ambrose Bierce

if you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

no idea who said it but it's such a great way to express the sentiment.

alasdair

Last edited:
"Nothing is True, Everything is Permissable" - Hassan i Sabbah

"Lie down on the floor and keep calm" - St John (Dillinger) the Martyr

"When in doubt, fuck it. When not in doubt.... get in doubt!" - Old POEE saying

"Common sense is what tells you that the world is flat." - Unknown

"The courts apply all criminal laws in this nation in a mild, rational and humane manner, if the defendent is rich. " - Robert Anton Wilson

"You will find that the State is the kind of orginization which, though it does big things badly, does small things badly too" - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Who is it who knows there is no Ego?" - Alan Watts

"There are trivial truths and there are great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also truth" - Neils Bohr

"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation." - Oscar Wilde

"Puritanism: the haunting fear that somebody, somewhere, might be having a good time." - H.L. Mencken

"Certainty is thought death" - Me

"Gist is 90% of communication" - Me

oh.. and my sig :)

"Smile and the world smiles with you." -unknown

"Sometimes you drink the bar and sometimes the bar drinks you." -The Big Lobowsky

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die." -Peter Tosh

"Hip Hop isn't dead, its just on life support..." -Larr_E