• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

A painful bad beat with AA

thegod

Greenlighter
I've played online poker for over 10 years and I've had some serious bad beats before, everyone does. But last night was particularly painful.
I played in a 4k gtd tournament and ended up going deep. I was dominating with chip lead and in the top five from the bubble onwards. First place was around $1248..... I ended up busting in fifth place, which was about $258.
So you can imagine I was pretty chuffed. It took 4 half 5 hours and Id played a good game.
Then the cardinal mistake of a cash game. I was playing good poker why wouldn't I........Go to sleep!!
Cutting to the chase on a $1/2 no limit full table I wake up with AA. With about $180 behind me. I'm in middle position. I'm about to end the session but get this massive hand! DONKSHOVE ! With a raise from someone in early position I think of trying my luck. Then I get snap called by someone in late position. He must be massive QQ or KK or AK suited. Everyone else folds. So roughly $360 in the pot.
He turns over KK.... happy days.
The flop was brick, queen jack..... then a runner runner special of the 9 and yes the 10 ! Giving him the straight.
Gutted.

GO TO SLEEP.

Ouch.. im on a loosing streak.. just playing small money tournaments.. but in the last three days I have been knocked out first hand seven times AA, QQ, KA, JJ, AQ, 55, 33... what the hell.

that sucks thegod. focus on your decision, not the outcome. you did the right thing. you'd do it every time.

i won my local card room $50 tourney first time i played but i've played around 7 or 8 times since and to come close to cashing. last thursday, i got AA in the last hand before a break. ended up all in with 4 fucking calls. dodged so many bullets then the guy who called a raise and a re-raise all-in with 99 hit his 9 on the river to send me home.

and he was such a dick about it too. a bad loser sucks but a bad winner is the worst.

alasdair

that sucks thegod. focus on your decision, not the outcome. you did the right thing. you'd do it every time.

i won my local card room $50 tourney first time i played but i've played around 7 or 8 times since and to come close to cashing. last thursday, i got AA in the last hand before a break. ended up all in with 4 fucking calls. dodged so many bullets then the guy who called a raise and a re-raise all-in with 99 hit his 9 on the river to send me home.

and he was such a dick about it too. a bad loser sucks but a bad winner is the worst.

alasdair

Unfortunately this is true with live games... Curb your enthusiasm.. but yeah your right, focus on the decision is a good outlook, its good to dissect hands sometimes. I think i was more steaming about the hard work wasted in the tournament.
After abit of a refresh on some old poker books like "Ace on the River" -barry greenstein , i always play better. Check that one out.

loosing quad KKs Vs. quad AAs is pretty sick.

this op post is normal poker
you made the right decision liike Alasdairm says. If you repeated it 1,000 times you would win

not sure why you would play all your winnings/or all bankroll in one game/hand. that is how you gamble&loose no matter what cards you havve

sure it would. but who's talking about quads vs. quads?

alasdair

qft.

O.K, op. Even though you lost. You won, really. You won in terms of poker. You made the right move for that. Just don't go joining stakes like that and play on micros with $2 buy-in

qft.
O.K, op. Even though you lost. You won, really. You won in terms of poker. You made the right move for that. Just don't go joining stakes like that and play on micros with $2 buy-in

No risk no reward. I don't really see the point in micros. Its a better quality game and my best limit is around 50-$1 or $1-$2. Plus at 3:30 am it can be a looser, more profitable game. If gamblers didn't capitalise on their rushes and play safe at micros too much it really wouldn't be worth your while. I don't play as much as I used to so Id rather get in a juicy game.
Your right if played it a thousand times its the right thing to do. There's the right situation for an open shove like that and for pealing off a flop with AA. Its satisfying getting away from a real dangerous flop with AA.

I broke my losing streak.. =D made it to the last three tables in a 2500 person turney last night.. think I went out 20th or 21st. Didn't pay all that well, but it felt good to win. I have to work on my end game.. Was in the top five or six going into the second break. When they reseated us there were like five of the top six all at the table with a couple that had no chance. We were all within a couple K of each other.. didn't get anything I could really make a move with. Then took a pretty substantial hit and eventually then the blinds caught up with me.

Oh but I took a sweet pot.. I had A Q and limped in, flop was AAQ checked.. was bet into checked.. I knew I had it already, next Q and was bet into and then the third player raised.. I checked.. final card hit and I checked.. 2nd player laid half thier stack and the third checked.. I threw them all in and they called and were cleaned for a very nice pot. Goda love it when you can slow play all day with people betting in hard and you have "no chance of losing this time":)

EDIT: thats not quite the way it went but pretty close. I checked and checked thier bets until one went half in and the other called after fifth street and then I put them all in.

Last edited:
I broke my losing streak.. =D made it to the last three tables in a 2500 person turney last night.. think I went out 20th or 21st. Didn't pay all that well, but it felt good to win. I have to work on my end game.. Was in the top five or six going into the second break. When they reseated us there were like five of the top six all at the table with a couple that had no chance. We were all within a couple K of each other.. didn't get anything I could really make a move with. Then took a pretty substantial hit and eventually then the blinds caught up with me.

Oh but I took a sweet pot.. I had A Q and limped in, flop was AAQ checked.. was bet into checked.. I knew I had it already, next Q and was bet into and then the third player raised.. I checked.. final card hit and I checked.. 2nd player laid half thier stack and the third checked.. I threw them all in and they called and were cleaned for a very nice pot. Goda love it when you can slow play all day with people betting in hard and you have "no chance of losing this time":)

EDIT: thats not quite the way it went but pretty close. I checked and checked thier bets until one went half in and the other called after fifth street and then I put them all in.

Nice one neversick,sounds like you played a pretty solid game, when its close and blinds are high it can go anyway. You cant do anything but "check" to everyone when you have the nutella , in that spot with AQ. Not sure about your explanation though!!!! Funny as... im confused.

Ha.. if your confused i'm almost clueless.. I have a "sequencing disorder"/ neurodiverse brain.. so i have a real hard time recalling past events in the correct order, spelling anything, or writing words in the correct order.. but it has its advantages in poker and life as it allows me to correlate very diverse concepts together and even accurately predict the future.. so in some regards its sucks, but at this point i think the positives outweigh the negatives.. at least now that typing and spell check are in play=D

Dyslexic spies: GCHQ’s secret strategy to tackle terrorism and espionage

Last edited:
Fascinating, its one step away from "the men who stare at goats" !
Can I have saturdays lottery numbers?