• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos A few questions on Xanax, Klonopin, and Trazodone

Fantasea

Greenlighter
Sorry if this thread isn't in the right place

I was prescribed xanax for a little over a year for panic attacks and GAD but over time I reduced my level of anxiety to the point that xanax wasn't really necessary and I found that it would make me depressed if I took it just because it was more than I needed, so now I take klonopin.

Anyway I guess what I'm wondering is does anyone who is prescribed these medications for legitimate anxiety get high from them? I always hear about people being horribly addicted to benzos but I just don't really get it. Maybe it's because I need them to manage my symptoms but I've taken higher doses (3-4mg xanax and up to 2mg of klonopin, but never both at the same time) just to see what happens and I pretty much just get extremely relaxed and tired and a little silly but it's not a feeling that I'd describe as "high". Is it just me? And klonopin is wayyy more sedating to me than xanax for some reason. Even though it takes longer to kick in, when it does it makes my body feel heavy and kind of numb so I don't like taking too much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get high on my pills because I know how harmful that can be. I'm actually just curious because I've never seen the recreational appeal. Building a habit with them is an entirely different story though, I've had to be careful about moderating my use just because it can become so easy to pop pills to self-soothe just because they're there even when you don't need them. Like I said though that doesn't mean I've found any "recreational" value in them.

Also, has anyone here used trazodone as a sleep aid? How well does it work and is it comparable to ambien? I've taken ambien and I always end up falling asleep and jolting awake every few minutes. It's like I fall asleep but only partially, and then I wake up gasping.

Kind of a ramble here but it's my first post pretty much so I had a lot to ask.

Trazodone will work well for sleep if you haven't used it much before. 25 - 50 -mg knocks me out and I can be difficult to get to sleep.

Klonopin - no "high", just relaxation and anti-anxiety properties, some people do get what they call a "high" from it, I don't but I'm a decade in taking it daily at 3-mg/day. Works very well and for a good long time, all day. Unlike xanax which wears off in 4 - 6 hours. You will generate a tolerance quickly if taken daily, I recommend no more than a few weeks on a low dose while you deal with underlying issues. For that I suggest CBT therapy. It works very well if you engage it openly and have a good therapist.

Benzo w/d after a period of constant use which varies person to person - some it's a month some it takes a year or more to catch a real habit - is a tremendously horrid situation. You want to avoid this!

Be well, PM me if you want more info, I am quite experienced with benzos and anxiety.

Trazodone

Sorry if this thread isn't in the right place

I was prescribed xanax for a little over a year for panic attacks and GAD but over time I reduced my level of anxiety to the point that xanax wasn't really necessary and I found that it would make me depressed if I took it just because it was more than I needed, so now I take klonopin.

Anyway I guess what I'm wondering is does anyone who is prescribed these medications for legitimate anxiety get high from them? I always hear about people being horribly addicted to benzos but I just don't really get it. Maybe it's because I need them to manage my symptoms but I've taken higher doses (3-4mg xanax and up to 2mg of klonopin, but never both at the same time) just to see what happens and I pretty much just get extremely relaxed and tired and a little silly but it's not a feeling that I'd describe as "high". Is it just me? And klonopin is wayyy more sedating to me than xanax for some reason. Even though it takes longer to kick in, when it does it makes my body feel heavy and kind of numb so I don't like taking too much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get high on my pills because I know how harmful that can be. I'm actually just curious because I've never seen the recreational appeal. Building a habit with them is an entirely different story though, I've had to be careful about moderating my use just because it can become so easy to pop pills to self-soothe just because they're there even when you don't need them. Like I said though that doesn't mean I've found any "recreational" value in them.

Also, has anyone here used trazodone as a sleep aid? How well does it work and is it comparable to ambien? I've taken ambien and I always end up falling asleep and jolting awake every few minutes. It's like I fall asleep but only partially, and then I wake up gasping.

Kind of a ramble here but it's my first post pretty much so I had a lot to ask.

Trazodone is nothing like amdien or any other of the z drugs. In my opinion especially if you have a benzos tolerance you won't get much from Trazodone apart from a hangover. Trazodone is an antidepressant so unless you're depressed I wouldn't recommend it and even then there's much better alternatives.

Trazodone is nothing like amdien or any other of the z drugs. In my opinion especially if you have a benzos tolerance you won't get much from Trazodone apart from a hangover. Trazodone is an antidepressant so unless you're depressed I wouldn't recommend it and even then there's much better alternatives.
Please check the time, before answering a post. This thread is one year old!