View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

A few first time shroom questions

Billy Mays

Greenlighter
After like a year of searching I finally got ahold of a 1/4 of mushrooms. I have some questions before dosing tommorow.

1. I am on protonix for acid reflux. Its a proton pump thing and it reduces acid because of the burning of my esophagus. I am on it for 3 months and I just started about a week ago. Will this effect the digestion of the shrooms? so far it hasn't done much for my esophagus, which brings me to my next question.

2. I've had a sore throat for like 4 months and it really bothers me. I don't want to think about it or dwell on it during my trip, so how would popping a few vicodin on the way up effect the trip just to numb the pain, not for any opiate fun or anything.

3. I have access to promethazine, ambien, and klonopin. Would there be any problem in taking these if I either experience nausea (which I'm expecting) or start having a bad trip.

Thanks for any input.

BTW: I'm dosing 2.5g's for my first time and I weight 170, and about 2.0g's for my girlfriend whose about 125.

1. I'm not sure about the Protonix as I'm unfamiliar with it but I was on a similar medication (Omeprazole) for a stomach ulcer some time ago and it didn't interfere with tripping. I think it may even help with absorption as it reduces acid in your stomach. I may be wrong on that though. Either way I doubt it will cause any problems.

2. Painkillers should be no problem. Opiates don't interfere too much with tripping (some may disagree - search for the "Oxycontin & Mushrooms Thread (feat. The Great Shroom Spirit Debate)" for plenty of discussion on the subject :D) so I see no problem there. I'd much rather use a painkiller than worry about a sore throat when tripping. If it bothers you sober there's a fair chance it'll bother you when tripping too.

3. I'd recommend avoiding other downers unless absolutely necessary - far better to work through any rough patches should they come along - but I doubt you'll need them. If things do get too hairy for you then I'd go with the Klonopin of the options you listed. I'd strongly recommend saving it for the comedown if you use it at all though.

Happy shrooming :)

I think for your first time you should just do the shrooms alone.

also, don't trip sick. it will bother you in unpleasant ways. and having a sore throat for 4 months sound suspicious, you should really get that checked out...

personally i have the best time on shrooms when i get slightly drunk then just eat a few and see how it feels. then if i need more i eat more if im good im good. i found that by eating a set amout like an 8th u can get really fucked up depending on how good the mushrooms r.

thanks shambles and guys.

and I'm not sick, this has been an ongoing problem for months and the protonix is the treatment recommended after endoscopy. Its not doing much good so I'm assuming surgery is the next step :!

1. I am currently on omeprazol as well. I think that reduction of stomache acid is counterproductive for psilocybin absorption unfortunately. An acidic environment increases uptake of the active compounds. Inhibiting this acidity therefore limits absorption.
But I can't give a definitive answer about digestion. There is the possibility that it feels bad because mushroom tissue is hard to digest to begin with so reducing your digestive capability to some extent may not be the best thing. But there is also the possibility that badly digested mushroom tissue just passes through the GI relatively intact doing virtually nothing but acting as fibers (which are normally a good thing!).

2. It should be OK but it can take away from entheogenic qualities according to some testimonials. As long as you don't mean to go soaring on an opiate high the interaction should be minimal I think. There are even those people who like the combo done well but I believe it would depend on what you look for in a mushroom trip.

3. Be very careful with ambien because it has amnestic properties. That could be a horrible combination with a psychedelic so make sure you only take that when the real mind altering effects of the mushrooms have disappeared - because of that the ambien is only valuable to get to sleep and not to calm down. Klonopin is all right for that. There are many discussions about this (check the Big & Dandy Trip Abortion Thread) because taking such a thing to avoid important lessons that are being forced on you can make the whole thing get stuck rather than disappear.
I don't know about promethazine really. I suppose it's OK but as Shambles says the klonopin is very much preferable. I see know he says "unless absolutely necessary" which has to do with the whole thing possibly getting stuck.
If you have too many doubts and fears to begin with do not take the mushrooms. This kind of experience is one you need to go through or not do at all! It's not like you will be tripping forever, rest assured. But if you encounter a problem in your trip it begs to be dealt with and not ignored. Otherwise it will manifest itself in some other weird way in the future, spelling problem for you.

On #1: Likewise on omeprazol, but I haven't noticed a problem with psilocybin absorption. Don't think it will be a big deal.

On #3, definitely stay away from ambien. It is psychedelic in its own way (loopy and out of it), as well as amnesic, and I don't think it would combine well at all.

good idea with the ambien, I didn't even think about how I tried to trip on it before. I suppose chomping a few klon's should help chill me out pretty fast as it normally does.

you could use my favorite roa and make a mushroom tea. this will save your stomach from having to tear up the fibers and will almost curb nausea completely.

i have a feeling that you will be too wrapped up in euphoria to even notice your throat.

i also wouldn't worry about a bad trip so much at those doses. but heed solipsis' advice if it heads that way

i hope you and your girlfriend have a fun time.

personally i have the best time on shrooms when i get slightly drunk then just eat a few and see how it feels. then if i need more i eat more if im good im good. i found that by eating a set amout like an 8th u can get really fucked up depending on how good the mushrooms r.

Definitely agree! my first ttip me and a friend did an eighth each and tripped out hard ... first two hours were heavenly n just omg! but the last six... lets just say it was a bad trip that involved a huge team of paramedics sleepless scary night and an unforgettable night
Things to remember... that I've heard
start of slow see how you react after a little if its too little do more.. too muvh drink milk
remember your poisoning your body so you'll feel like your very wet like your ears have more wax your throat will feel more mocused up your nose runny eyes watery... and when u take them at first your stomach will hurt... but once the visuals start happening its like nothing else matters its so amazing
Oh btw its not like e so don't use black lights ... THE LIGHTER THE ROOM THE BETTER ... don't be paranoid when u take them... so wait til u have the house to yourself.. stressfree and just in a happy mood... it'll be better in the end! hope I helped :)