View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

5-MeO-DMT

Pagey

Bluelight Crew
My fiancé and I were thinking of getting some and were hoping to hear about other people's experiences. Erowid describes it as an extremely intense, life-changing experience, but we're both seasoned psychedelic users (both of us having lived intense psychedelic experiences) and therefore feel we could handle it. We were just wondering if anyone could give us an account of their experience with this drug? Is it worth it? Did you learn anything from it, could you describe the effects? Also, what would be a good dosage and how similar is it to DMT?

Thanks! :)

Worth trying, but seriously intense.

It's the drug which has given me the most intense and strong experiences and it's one I treat with a great deal of respect, even reluctance to use. Even more so than DMT I have to do a lot of convincing of myself to take it.
Difficult to describe, probably more so than other psychedelics as I find the memory of 5-Meo-DMT, as with DMT but to a greater extent, slip away and I forget the experience. That said I've had great insight from it, just trouble remembering it.

Dose is important as with too low a dose, or an inability to let go and give in to the experience, I find it's rather unpleasant, jittery, heavy body load, paranoia and negative aspects of my personality coming to the fore. Ego struggling for survival and control.
In a sufficient dose & surrendering to the drug it's an incredible sense of oneness, peace, ecstacy, the mind & ego switched off. An incredibly quick and abrupt come up too, I think it's been described to being shot out of a cannon.
I had tended to take a shot of harmala extract beforehand and do ~15mg smoked but since a bad experience with a still burning bowl I've sworn off that. Best to vaporise in something where there's no fire risk.

If you've got the option I'd certainly advise getting some.

would 5mg be a good starting point? I've smoked DMT in amounts ranging from 'sprinkled in spliffs' up to 75mg heroic doses in the past. user reports are all over the place for 5-MeO-DMT dosages. I don't have any harmine.....yet,,,,should I wait for it to arrive?

I'm very convinced from working with this stuff for 10+ years that the dosage is 7-10. Although I find less useful, I am very at peace with every aspect of this drug, know it better than anything...and less can result in a greater body awareness vs entheogenic experience.

On the other hand, many intiates feel so much fear before they go that they fail to smoke the full amount, taking in 3mg or so...which always seems to erase those fears, brighten the mood, and results in a quick response of 'ok I"m ready' or something along those lines.

Feel it out. Do you your intuition says, but don't jump right in with the harmine...that would be foolhardy.

thank you for the advice....been a bit apprehensive about this one, as it seems less forgiving than high doses of DMT... but sort of feel the same way about smoking DMT...too little and you just won't get the experience that will stay with you forever as a great life milestone. I'll save the harmine for pharmahuasca, when I graduate to that level.

Hmm, extremely helpful answers, thank you! As I mentioned we're both seasoned users and capable of handling intense trips, although we do realise that this might be a big step forward. These posts have convinced us that we really would like to try it because even if it might be a difficult experience, it sounds like it would be one worth having (there's no such thing as a bad trip after all!). Our thinking so far is to take 3mg doses smoked, at home, safe environment etc., and stay right next to each other the whole time. We were also thinking of having 0.5mg etiz just before and benzos right next to us just in case it gets too intense. Dyou think that sounds like a good plan?

really no use for benzos or anything.
It will be over, before benzos will starting to have any effect. The intense part will really not last longer than 15 minutes at most.
And this, not from 3mg.

Imo there is no need to be afraid or overly cautious/fearfull. If you feel like you want to try it: try it!
It will be over very soon. Remember this - might be comforting beforehand and during the (very short) comeup.

3mg is really not a lot. But there's nothing wrong with upping your dosage from one experience to the next.

Alright cool, thanks. I think we're still going to take a low dose of benzos beforehand (long enough before to give them time to kick in) just to make sure we're as calm as possible before taking it, and we'll take it one at a time so the other can act as a sitter. Excited to try it!

Hmmm I'm gonna go all MGS on you and suggest you not take the benzo, and trust in the 5-MeO-DMT...or rather do not take the 5-MeO-DMT until you trust it enough to not need to per-medicate yourself. I have taken a benzo or two and I know what they do, and you will be missing the point (no matter how low the dose, just the idea that you would think you need it).

If you get the fear, just smoke 3mg, and load up 7mg for a few minutes later...doing so will either erase the fear, or send you on your way one direction, one way or another.

Last edited:
3mg would just leave me jittery & briefly wired but gi ahead if you only want a taster.I think the benzo's will be unnecessary & probably defeat the purpose by dampening down the 5-MeO-DMT.

Any reason you're going for 5meo rather than DMT pagey? Always thought DMT has been considered the vastly superior experience. I remember Terence Mckenna once said 5meo was like "having an elephant sit on my head".

The Power (5meodmt) and The Glory (nndmt) ... you sound like you know what you're getting into, IMO these opportunities present themselves for a reason...I'd say go for it...try to see that fear of 5meodmt is an irrational thought, it may still be alarming, but it can't hurt you. Id love to hear a report if you feel the urge :)

Last edited:
^I'll definitely make sure to write a trip report :)

Hmmm I'm gonna go all MGS on you and suggest you not take the benzo, and trust in the 5-MeO-DMT...or rather do not take the 5-MeO-DMT until you trust it enough to not need to per-medicate yourself. I have taken a benzo or two and I know what they do, and you will be missing the point (no matter how low the dose, just the idea that you would think you need it).

If you get the fear, just smoke 3mg, and load up 7mg for a few minutes later...doing so will either erase the fear, or send you on your way one direction, one way or another.

That makes sense and I'll definitely keep it in mind, thanks. Starting with 3mg and having another 7 around seems like a good compromise instead of benzos.

Any reason you're going for 5meo rather than DMT pagey? Always thought DMT has been considered the vastly superior experience. I remember Terence Mckenna once said 5meo was like "having an elephant sit on my head".

Simply because of ease of availability - I'd much rather try DMT but have no way to get it, whereas I do 5meo!

The benzo thing I don't understand.
5-MeO-DMT is supposed to be hefty. Short, but strong.

If it should go incredibly bad, it still will be: very short. Short enough for it to not be extremly unpleasant.
And it won't be if you know you want to do it, be calm and take your time to do it, do it and let it happen.

I can follow the reasoning that some people want to have a benzo around, when they take something that will last all day.
But 5-MeO-DMT - I don't understand why. Imo there are only downsides to it.

This is said in a smug voice....DMT is superior maybe in the eyes of the masses, with its pretty colors and gnomes, but 5-MEO-DMT is the real deal. It is raw, unadultrated universe. Really, I love both of them, a combination of the two like the Big Brother and Holding Company is preferred. But if forced at gunpoint to choose, I have to pick the 5meodmt as that has given me the full range of mystical experience...I simply cannot say anything like that of DMT.

Simply because of ease of availability - I'd much rather try DMT but have no way to get it, whereas I do 5meo!

Not too hard to make your own DMT tho pagey, all you need is mimosa and sodium hydroxide and bartolines premium white spirit both from b&q stick em in a steel bowl, stir, leave for a few hours, then suck off the top layer, put it in a glass cup and freeze it. Voila. Loads of snow white DMT crystals stuck to the glass. You can churn out grams of the stuff in a day or two.

I think DMT is supposed to be a lot friendlier and colourful. Might be worth having a crack at it.

This is said in a smug voice....DMT is superior maybe in the eyes of the masses, with its pretty colors and gnomes, but 5-MEO-DMT is the real deal. It is raw, unadultrated universe. Really, I love both of them, a combination of the two like the Big Brother and Holding Company is preferred. But if forced at gunpoint to choose, I have to pick the 5meodmt as that has given me the full range of mystical experience...I simply cannot say anything like that of DMT.

Better than DMT? May the fleas of a thousand camels be upon you! :D

Any thoughts on 5meo-dmt orally mgs? I've never been a DMT smoker - always gone for moclobemide and oral DMT which I think is the big bang of psychedelics. Oral DMT is like nothing I've ever experienced. The greatest bodyhigh, the friendliest, most psychedelic drug with the most "presence" of any drug I've ever taken.

Can 5meo really challenge oral DMT? Particularly when smoked when it's over in a few seconds?

Forgive my smugness, external pressures make me an asshole.

Never had oral DMT or 5-MeO-DMT. I've had IM shots of both, and they become much more gentle compared to vaporizing them,

Seems I must be intent on saving ayahuasca experiences for much later in life, since I have gone this far without dipping my toes in.

Really, I think the 'power' and the 'light' analogy fits these two best. Apples and oranges.

Better than DMT? May the fleas of a thousand camels be upon you! :D

Any thoughts on 5meo-dmt orally mgs? I've never been a DMT smoker - always gone for moclobemide and oral DMT which I think is the big bang of psychedelics. Oral DMT is like nothing I've ever experienced. The greatest bodyhigh, the friendliest, most psychedelic drug with the most "presence" of any drug I've ever taken.

Can 5meo really challenge oral DMT? Particularly when smoked when it's over in a few seconds?

Shame no one ever looked into the alkaloids that are produced through the act of burning the dmt. Pyrolysis.
If the effects are subjectively different than shooting it, and i would have to think that shooting it would be way more intense.
That the combustion of it must produce something slightly different.