Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5-htp?

reward

Bluelighter
first of all sorry if this has been covered but im new to this forum and dont have time to read through every thread so please chill..

anyway, i was just readin the 5-HTP FAQ and was thinkin i definately gotta hook up some of this stuff then read that it is banned in Australia. I cant buy stuff through the net so theres no way I can get it.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there anything that you can buy from pharmacies that is similar or replinishes serotonin? or does anyone actually know anywhere that sells it?

also what is some of the things that you people do to minimize dirty comedowns?

thanks

ok i searched the Aus Drug FAQ and saw that you hate people who ask about 5-HTP without searching for it first - ie. me. hahah (prepares for the flames)

but still there are a few other questions in there that people may want to answer.

lates

yep, ur gonna get flamed and told to search.

havin read most of the threads on 5-htp here, there also seems to be alot of negative info on the supplement, which worries me a bit.
sorry off topic

If you broaden your search outside the australian forums you might find more info on this sort of thing. From memory the Drug Basics forum has this kind of stuff in it, although it's been a while since I've ventured in there. Also try some of the FAQ's in the main forums. :)

But yeah, just read as much as you can from as many different places as possible. You'll find certain info repeated in most of the threads, so focus your attention on the ideas that come up the most frequently and then search for those terms too. It's probably the only way of effectivly wading through the mountain of data here...

Best of luck! :)

5-HTP is not available for over-the-counter OR prescription sale in Australia. It can be legally imported off the net.

L-tryptophan IS available on prescription in Australia, I think, but you'll probably not want to convince a doctor anyway.

If you don't have a credit card to order it, why not use an international money order, or a wire transfer (through something like Western Union)? A lot of places will accept that, and almost all accept money orders.

VelocideX said:
5-HTP is not available for over-the-counter OR prescription sale in Australia. It can be legally imported off the net.

Sorry to correct you VelocideX, but it is legal to buy in QLD. You can buy it in person or off the net but it will not be shipped to a non-QLD address.

I stand corrected. I've always thought that anomaly was somewhat odd, given that the TGA (a federal body) is responsible for drug regulation across Australia. I should email the TGA at some point about that...

It is very strange it is not uniform nationally. It is only available through naturopaths (most health food shops are run by them) as it is a natural product. When I purchased mine, the naturopath asked me what it was for. I said to her it was to help with 'weekend activities' and she was more than helpful. She recommended dosages to take and when to take them.

mrephedrine69 said:
Sorry to correct you VelocideX, but it is legal to buy in QLD. You can buy it in person or off the net but it will not be shipped to a non-QLD address.
I imported 12 bottles of 60x50mg capsules and I live in Sydney...
I was under the impression they did import to Sydney, you just couldn't buy it over the counter, it had to be imported

reward said:
first of all sorry if this has been covered but im new to this forum and dont have time to read through every thread so please chill..

anyway, i was just readin the 5-HTP FAQ and was thinkin i definately gotta hook up some of this stuff then read that it is banned in Australia. I cant buy stuff through the net so theres no way I can get it.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there anything that you can buy from pharmacies that is similar or replinishes serotonin? or does anyone actually know anywhere that sells it?

also what is some of the things that you people do to minimize dirty comedowns?

thanks

This has all been covered before and your lack of interest in reading past posts makes me wonder why we should be bothered doing the searching for you.

Why can't you order it through the internet? Many places will take money order if your worried about a credit card. If you live with your folks 5htp is a known dietary supplement and thats what it says on the side of my bottle. Order it off the internet I say, highly reccomended.

Agreed... there's a number of good websites around, its not hard to find cheaply. Google is your friend.

fry-d- i had a look through all the thread topics and didnt see one about 5htp so thought i would ask. it was only after i posed that i realised u could do a search for a word. but also not everyone has hours upon hours to go reading through all these threads.

what i was mainly getting at is that i know what it is and what it does, but wanted to know how people were getting it and what other supplements you can use to help with comedowns that are available in australia.

most of the posts on 5htp are from like 2000 thats 4 years ago, some things might have changed since then? there could be new products out? or someone might just have a certain thing that they do personally to help with comedowns that they might want to suggest?

anyway thanks for your replies

How could there be a new product out of the same drug? 5-HTP is 5-HTP is 5-HTP. It doesn't change from year to year.

If you're after a source, a quick perusal of google will find some rather cheap ones. As has been said, put through a money order if you have no credit card.

I agree that not everyone has a lot of times these days, but I think that its much more time efficient for you to search through previous threads where all the answers exist rather than waiting for a few days for the replies to slowly trickle in to this one...

Baker said:
I imported 12 bottles of 60x50mg capsules and I live in Sydney...
I was under the impression they did import to Sydney, you just couldn't buy it over the counter, it had to be imported

Did you buy it from an overseas website? Just asking because vitamins australia's website has this posted on it for internet orders:

"THIS PRODUCT CAN ONLY BE SOLD TO PEOPLE LIVING IN QUEENSLAND"

This just leads me to assume that if you do import it from overseas and customs get on to it, you could theoretically be charged for importing a banned substance. Not sure.... tried a search on tga's website, but search function is down.

Under the TGA's personal importation scheme it is legal to import a three month supply of 5-HTP for the use of yourself or someone in your immediate family

I think someone has asked this question somewhere on BL before but I'll be fucked if I know where. So the question is, can you develop a tolerance to 5-htp? Or can it lose its effectiveness on you for some reason?

time to ask my own question : )
just wondering how quick would 5htp replace ur serotonin stores to full?

After a big night out on the booze, or pills... or other known substances, due to 5-HTP not being widely available in Pharmacies, or over the counter, I have just been known to load up the next day (after a big night) with a few Banana Smoothies. They contain 5-HTP, I read somewhere just recently on a brochure, and apparantly milk contains 5-HTP as well. So, you'd be getting a fairly decent dose of 5-HTP/Trytophan from that milk and banana combination. Plus it tastes nice!! and is heapsa refreshing.

You'd be amazed, how much better you feel on a Sunday morning, after a HUGE weekend, if you do this and munch on some seafood or Sushi, etc...

I'd personally like to get hold of some 5-HTP and am seriously contemplating doing so, some time in the near future (once I get my current credit-card payments out of the way), but... until then, I'm just gonna go with the above-mentioned diet. Not to mention a bit of MJ during a "recovory session".