• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe 5 days since suboxone use and still no relief from pain meds, when will they work?

Helixclaymore

Greenlighter
Hi, I have used .1 to .4 mg of suboxone every day for a week (I had last used it regularly 10 months prior to that), and on about the 7th day of using it, I had to go to the hospital with extreme pain. I was sent home with Percocet and tylenol #4. It has now been 5 days since I took my last low dose of suboxone (the doses were getting smaller during the week, so last dose was around .1 to .2 mg), but I'm still not feeling anything from the Tylenol #4. I still have some Percocet, but I was going to wait until I can feel it before I use the rest. So my question is, is this normal? Will I be able to get pain relief soon? And if I'm taking Tylenol #4, will I be able to "feel" when it's working again or is Tylenol #4 too weak for me to feel anything? Opiate calc says 60 mg of codeine is equivalent to 6 mg of oxycodone, which is why I would expect to feel something once I take it, if it is working.

Much thanks!
HC

Hmm, 5 days should be plenty of time for the bupe to release its death hold on your opiod receptors. Especially considering the short amount of time. .4mg is an extremely small dose of suboxone (think half of a half of a half of a half of a normal 8mg strip) didn't know if you mistyped that or are actually taking doses this small. My personal opinion is that your tolerance may be raised now from the subs.

Bupe is a quite potent opiod and while it may not seem like it due to its limited effects it could have very well raised your tolerance to the point that 6mg oxycodone no longer has full effect. The more time you give for the suboxone to clear your system the less impact it will have. Codeine is a weak opiate to begin with.

Also, you can try taking DXM prior to dosing your DOC to aid in preventing further tolerance building.

You're tolerance is too high. Bupe does that, equivalency charts short of get useless with these comparisons of mixed agonists to agonists, long half life vs. short, etc...

Your pain med doses are too low, if these are prescribed talk to your doc, if this is recreational now is a good time to quit all opioids, esp., bupe in your case, b/f you get any higher a tolerance. You should have been getting some pain relief from low dose bupe, maybe that's your solution?

Bupe jacks tolerance about as fast and far as fentanyl. It may ease up, but you'll never get it to below the level of what you're taking for pain (Tylenol 4 - can't touch any bupe tolerance at all). Unless you abstain from all opiates for a pretty long time - months minimum. May never come back too such a low level (6-mg oxy is nothing compared to 0.25 of bupe, ime.)

You're in ok shape now, do whatever you can to not get in any deeper with opioids or goD forbid benzos. The problems you have now will seem like a better outcome...

Thank you so much, you both have been incredibly helpful. I was prescribed suboxone for a few years but I got off of it in November 2014. I kept a strip, and I stupidly used a very small amount because I was feeling down. So, I was prescribed Suboxone, but I shouldn't have been taking it now. I had only taken it for a week at most tho and at really small levels, never more than around 0.5 mg. I have 3 Percocets left, I may take all three at once to see if I can feel it. That way I can know if it's the blocking effect that's the problem, or a tolorance issue.

I just took 3 Percocet and I feel nothing, zilch, nada. I'm guessing it's still blocking. If it wasn't, even with the tolorance of one week of suboxone use at very low amounts, I would be feeling something from the Percocet. I have been clean off opiates for 8 years now (except for a medical emergency in 2008 and this medical emergency), but I remember that even when I was on them and had high tolorance, 3 Percocet would always get me at least somewhat high. I was addicted to Vicodin and only had Percocet for a small amount near the end of my addition when my tolorance was high.

I one time stopped suboxone to try opium, and I finished the opium before it ever worked. I would try it twice a day and by the 5th or 6th day I finished it, and as I mentioned, it never worked and I never felt anything. The big difference was that I had been taking 2mg of suboxone or more for that previous 6 years. This time, I had only taken it for a week, and only a very small amount, as mentioned (< 0.6). And prior to that week, I had been completely off suboxone for 10 months. I know I have a slow motabolism, and I think that contributes to suboxone blocking opiates for a long time. Plus really shitty luck I guess. I heard the max suboxone can block for is 7 days, so hopefully the opiates will work soon.

Question.... Is my tolorance for opiates going up by taking the codeine and the Percocet even tho I'm not feeling them and they are being blocked by suboxone?

Last edited:
I one time stopped suboxone to try opium, and I finished the opium before it ever worked. I would try it twice a day and by the 5th or 6th day I finished it, and as I mentioned, it never worked and I never felt anything. The big difference was that I had been taking 2mg of suboxone or more for that previous 6 years. This time, I had only taken it for a week, and only a very small amount, as mentioned (< 0.6). And prior to that week, I had been completely off suboxone for 10 months. I know I have a slow motabolism, and I think that contributes to suboxone blocking opiates for a long time. Plus really shitty luck I guess. I heard the max suboxone can block for is 7 days, so hopefully the opiates will work soon.

Question.... Is my tolorance for opiates going up by taking the codeine and the Percocet even tho I'm not feeling them and they are being blocked by suboxone?

Anyone please? Thank you :)

Jeeze, you don't even know what pain I have. I could have lost a leg for all you know. Jackass

Jeeze, you don't even know what pain I have. I could have lost a leg for all you know. Jackass

Hey please ignore him, I am sorry he is a troll, as you can see he has been places back on a temporary ban so there shouldn't be anymore trouble for a couple days.

iv been on bupe maintenace for years. i dont have access to it anymore but when i did i took 2mg a day.. and if i waited a full 24 hours i could get high on H. no problem. i dont think its even slightly possible that 0.5 mg is still blocking after 5 days. its not in the realm of possibility. i think u should be feeling those percs. could b a case of jacked tolerance like someone mentioned.. or u might be psyching yourself into not feeling anything. but i swear its not still blocking of u were truly taking sub milligram doses more than 5 days ago.

iv been on bupe maintenace for years. i dont have access to it anymore but when i did i took 2mg a day.. and if i waited a full 24 hours i could get high on H. no problem. i dont think its even slightly possible that 0.5 mg is still blocking after 5 days. its not in the realm of possibility. i think u should be feeling those percs. could b a case of jacked tolerance like someone mentioned.. or u might be psyching yourself into not feeling anything. but i swear its not still blocking of u were truly taking sub milligram doses more than 5 days ago.

I totally agree with you, which is why I'm so dumbfounded. I get to talk to my Dr. tomorrow, hopefully I will get more pain meds then and they will work. Thanks

I was an active heroin user for 15 years and was totally clean for about 5 before being put on pks. I still take my oxys as prescribed and I'm not sure if they help so much with the pain or its just my fear of my crutch being taken away from me.Anyway what I'm trying to say is I think once you've been jacked up on opiates/opioids for so long its my personal belief they will never be valuable as painkilling medication again. I've not researched this I'm just speaking from experience.

^^agreed

There's a major difference between the threshold for pain management and recreational use to obtain euphoria. OP, What was the original intended use for your suboxonne? Pain management or addiction management? I would mention your sub use to your doctor, given you were prescribed them. As the dose he has you on is not going to give you any major relief. However be honest with yourself. Are the Percs really not helping your pain or are you not getting as high as you would like?

just to add.. even if i have been clean for a long time, i need at least 20-30mg of oxy to START feeling an opiate tingle. i dont believe 60mg of codiene will b much help to u these days

ya, these doses you are taking are far too low. Not that I recommend taking doses high enough to get high, but bupe is an extremely potent opioid. So you raised your tolerance by a very large amount, it is not that the subs are blocking anymore, it is that by taking the strips you inadvertently made your tolerance skyrocket.