View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

40mg Prozac & Psilocybin..Should I be worried about Serotonin Syndrome

teebeekid

Greenlighter
Hey guys, new to this forum! Ever since I was an adolescent I was always fascinated with Psychedelics and altered perceptions. Now that i'm 21 I feel like i'm ready to embark on a spiritual psychedelic adventure. I'm thinking about doing 2.25-2.75 Grams my first time. I have a few concerns . First and most importantly mixing Shrooms and 40mg of Prozac (SSRI). I've been on 40mg of Prozac for about 3 years now for my OCD. I'm concerned about getting Serotonin Syndrome . I know that Psilocybin is a partial Agonist on the 5HT2a Receptor and that it does not RELEASE serotonin only mimics it. Does Psilocybin compete with serotonin at the receptor? Is more serotonin being released in the synapse? Or does it mimic serotonin and bind to it modulating the receptor without any excess of serotonin? I'm just scared of dying from SS lol just wanted to get opinions if it's a safe mix!

I think it's very, very unlikely to induce SS. However, I'd expect the psilocybin experience to be altered somewhat.

Yup. You might expect mildly reduced potency due to 5ht receptor downregulation from chronically elevated synaptic 5ht.

ebola

So this interaction has a low likelihood of serotonin syndrome? It's not like Psilocybin releases/dumps serotonin into the synapse right? Just fits into the 5ht2a receptors...So basically the psilocin has to compete with the SSRI (serotonin) ?

Does Psilocybin compete with serotonin at the receptor?

Yes. This fact combined with what ebola? already mentioned means you should expect some loss of potency with your shrooms. At the dose you mentioned I can't see that being an issue though.

Is more serotonin being released in the synapse?

Yes - there is more serotonin accumulating in the synapse due to your Prozac. The shrooms won't affect this.

Or does it mimic serotonin and bind to it modulating the receptor without any excess of serotonin?

Yes, shrooms mimic serotonin at a subset of the serotonin receptors leading to the psychedelic effects.

So I should be okay (health wise) in regards to the interaction (Shrooms and Prozac)? My only concern is Serotonin Syndrome

im no neurologist like the guys above but my layman's take on the situation is no risk of SS, since all shrooms/psilocyn is gonna do is bind to your 5HT receptors, not raise your 5HT levels (like your prozac does). it'd be a problem if you mixed the prozac with another drug that raised your serotonin levels - such as more SSRIs, MAOIs etc...

im no neurologist like the guys above but my layman's take on the situation is no risk of SS, since all shrooms/psilocyn is gonna do is bind to your 5HT receptors, not raise your 5HT levels (like your prozac does). it'd be a problem if you mixed the prozac with another drug that raised your serotonin levels - such as more SSRIs, MAOIs etc...
That's what I figured ...So Psilocybin/Psilocin doesn't actually dump/increase 5HT levels in the synapse like MDMA does?

So from the general consesus..this interaction/combo is safe ? just double checking/trying to be as safe/smart as possible.

I think it's very, very unlikely to induce SS. However, I'd expect the psilocybin experience to be altered somewhat.

The thread could have ended right here. He told you everything you really needed to know.

Drug use is never "safe" no matter what precautions and harm reduction you practice, you're lulling yourself into a false sense of security if you ever think otherwise.

The thread could have ended right here. He told you everything you really needed to know.

Drug use is never "safe" no matter what precautions and harm reduction you practice, you're lulling yourself into a false sense of security if you ever think otherwise.

Yeah that's totally true...I'll let everyone know how it goes (planing on eating them in 2 days).

Your Fine, You will just have to take a little more mush then you use to. (4.5 grams instead of 3.5 grams). Also with MDMA, I have never heard of someone on an SSRI and MDMA suffer from serotonin syndrome. Just Saying. Any Evidence to give otherwise? I have heard tramadol and ssris causes serotonin syndrome at high doses.

Usually people only on MAOI's then combining them with MDMA, are at risk. I find with SSRI's nothing happens except it does not work at all.

Usually people only on MAOI's then combining them with MDMA, are at risk. I find with SSRI's nothing happens except it does not work at all.

It's very rare, but not unheard of: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24006318

I think people notice the lack of effects when combining SSRI and MDMA and just keep dosing more MDMA until they get sick. I've seen that exact scenario play out in front of me at a music festival. Bottom line it's just not a good idea to combine the two, you'll either waste your MDMA or you'll get sick.

visionary psycho said:
Also with MDMA, I have never heard of someone on an SSRI and MDMA suffer from serotonin syndrome.

Due to their relative binding affinities, nearly all SSRIs attenuate MDMA's effects. This phenomenon doesn't generalize to combinations with other serotonergics or SSRIs and other types of compounds.

ebola

First Trip Report. 3.5 Grams P. Cubensis. SSRI-40mg Prozac

Well guys here's my first trip!

-Me and two of my good friends took 2.5 Grams of P. Cubensis at about 1:25pm in one of my friends open house. We all ate them whole with orange juice (they were mostly stems). I started feeling really heavy and relaxed at the 35 minute marker. I decided to sit on the couch..Something was coming I can feel it. 10 minutes later everything started to get a little hazy, I started to notice things moving in my peripheral vision. At this time my friends faces started to look different..Like I saw them in a different light (hard to explain..they looked distorted). My hands started to feel weird as well...Like they were tightening up. Things started to get trippy at about an hour in. The first thing I noticed was my friends Persian rug started to grow...the designs started to morph and grow..it was crazy! I then got up to text my bro to tell him the trip is starting. As I was texting him, the letters started to move around, the convo bubbles (iphone) started to also move around it was awesome! Things got hazy from there, the next thing I remember is laying outside looking at the clouds...The clouds came together and made a weird pattern..I was watching it for about 30 seconds when my friends decided to go inside cause it was way too hot..Things started getting really cool when I went inside.... The time is now 3. At this point time didn't exist, I lost complete track of time. I also lost touch with reality ..like I forgot people (my parents, brother, other friends) were actually alive at the moment, doing things while I was in this weird world). I sat on my friends couch in complete elation I was SOOOO happy and euphoric I had an overwhelming sensation of happiness. I was telling everyone how happy I was. It was the most uplifted I've ever been! I had the widest grin on my face for the next hour. The time is now 3:30 ...2 hours into the trip..I decided to lay down on a scruffy rug and listen to music....I listened to kid cudi and pink floyd...This is when things got weird...The audio started to slow down and drop in pitch and then started to go up in pitch (like the artists voices were fluctuating in pitch slowing down and speeding up). This fascinated me! I was so surprised that Shrooms can distort audio like that. I ate another gram. This is when me and my friends started our fits of laughter...We were laughing hysterically at nothing it was great! We turned red we were laughing so hard...as we were laughing I was stroking the rug..it felt sooo nice and smooth I kept running my hands through the fibers ..this and the laughing lasted about 15 Minutes. I then looked at this picture on my phone: The face starting changing expressions and morphing it was breathtaking...It started to smile then get angry, then sad...It went through all the emotions...The patterns on it were moving and growing. The spirals on it's
cheeks were spinning and growing I got a kick out of it! I remember I kept saying things are weird and that shroom world is very weird at this point...I layed down and was staring at the wall..it was so fascinating..I kept feeling it and touching it..I was staring at the wall for about 10 minutes..It was so lovely..Oh yeah I forgot ...My friends and I were feeling wet and clammy during the trip it was weird! Anyway after that I decided to go for a ride in my friends car...I thought I was in a funhouse...I felt like I was soooo low to the ground...everyhouse around me looked like it was 50 ft closer....everything came closer to me (zoomed in looking). People looked really weird...they're faces were distorted..I then decided to look at myself in the side rearview mirror...My eyes started to grow in size and morph and warp it was so weird!! They looked like giant cat eyes...they morphed into the shadows...after this we went back to the house..the visuals subsided (they only went on for about 3-3 1/2 hours...after that I was sitting on my friends couch staring, smiling at the ground just thinking...I felt like I was reborn, like I was cleansed, it was an awesome feeling...The trip lasted about 4-5 hours...No closed eye visuals...OPEN EYE visuals were dominant on this trip ...can it be the type of shroom? anyway awesome first time! COMPLETE opposite of a bad trip...Deff gonna do it again..maybe in the winter