Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(4-HO-MET) - First Time - Hysterical Substance

777xog

Bluelighter
Report on 4-HO-MET (Metocin) (Fumarate Salt)
Date: May 7, 2011

===Previous Experience===
2C-C, 2C-E, 5-MeO-DALT, bk-MDMA

===Participants/Dosage===
*all participants males between age of 19-21*
Self: 15mg oral solution
K: 20mg oral solution
L: 20mg oral solution
A: 20mg oral solution
N: 20mg oral solution

=== Duration Timeline ===
10:04pm - Drank Solution
10:18pm - First alerts, feeling "slow"
10:18pm - 10:50 - Comeup
7:04am - Noted that a definite comedown had occurred by this time

Total Duration: 9 Hours

===Compound Description===
Compound appeared white, or slightly off-white.
Compound dissolved easily in water
Taste was bitter, but certainly bearable. No worse than 2C-C.

===SET/SETTING===
Trip took place at L's house, inside of a classroom-size "portable" shed behind the house. Portable is furnished nicely with wood paneling, couches, rug, lights, etc. Laptop and speakers were available for music. L's little brother was home in the main house and his mother would arrive home later that night.

===Personal Qualitative Notes===
*All of these notes are written retrospectively*

Major parts of the trip:

10:00 -Dosing
10:20 -Talking, Fast Comeup
10:20 onward -Listening to Black Angels
10:45 -'A' grapples with the purpose of life and walks around outside for awhile
11:20 -Listening to oldschool Supertramp
11:35 -'A' comes back with hysterical revelation about life
11:45 -A couple hits of low grade cannabis are taken from water bong. Little effect is noted by anyone.
11:55 -I explore back of shed and find disco ball. Find it very amusing.
12:10 -Power cable comes unplugged. General chaos ensues in the dark room. Still found situation pretty hysteric, though some of us were worried there might have been an actual power outage. The problem was ridiculously simple, but took us seemingly forever to solve.
12:40 -'A' and 'N' get a ride home
12:50 -'L' invites 'K' and I into the main house at this point. We're past the peak, but just barely. I feel uncomfortable/awkward saying hello to his mom and little brother, and convince 'L' and 'K' that we should stay out in the shed after all. 'L' mentions that his mother is aware and doesn't mind knowing he smokes pot; this is somewhat comforting.
4:30 -'L' feels fine to drive by this point and gives 'K' a ride home. I listen to Beatles in the dark shed with the disco ball making patterns on the ceiling - very euphoric.
6:00 - L comes back and we make a frozen Digorno pizza. Tasted AMAZING.
7:00 - Main effects coming to an end and I remember I need to get home soon.

===Bodyload and After-Effects===
Of all psychedelics, this is without doubt the most physically comfortable one I have taken! No nausea, chills, aches, or uncomfortable stimulation to speak of. Excellent!

During the later part of the trip, approaching the comedown, I did have a rather uncomfortable headache, however I am very sure this was due to having not eaten in over 13 hours. After eating the pizza, the headache went away quickly.

The after-effects were not so much physical or head-space related as they were mental. I found myself sounding awkward in conversation with family the next day. This could be attributed to a lack of sleep, though I doubt sleep-deprivation alone was the cause in this case. I wonder if this after-effect would still be noticable if I had gotten a full night of sleep first.

===Summary===
I would say the descriptions of 4-HO-MET by Shulgin, Erowid, and Bluelight matched perfectly with what I experienced. Thus, I was happy to find that my expectations were met with accuracy in all areas, save for the duration which lasted longer than expected.

All participants felt that 4-HO-MET was more inherently euphoric than other psychedelics. There were many hysterical moments - I don't think I've ever laughed so much on anything.

Negative thought loops were occasionally experienced in response to a couple concerning moments during the trip. Fortunately, these were quite manageable;
the trip wasn't particularly "deep", so it was easy to distract myself. No "jolts" of anxiety were experienced as I would have expected during these moments on 2C-C or 2C-E.

Although there was a lack of depth, 4-HO-MET is still a powerful compound. I would say it is similar to 2C-E as far as power and dose-response curve go, but similar to 2C-C in that there is relatively less headfuck potential.

Visually speaking, 4-HO-MET was distinct from the 2C's. Closed eyed visuals were sharper, but less colorful. No open eyed visuals were as immediately apparent as they are on high doses of 2C's; on these, especially 2C-C, I tend to see movement in the patterns or edges of certain objects. With 4-HO-MET, I eventually found I was able to see things morph for the first time - often into faces (a little creepy, but I didn't seem to mind). This effect was subtle at the 15mg level, and I would expect it to increase with dosage.

*Very* subtle audial hallucinations were noticed. At the peak, I would hear something similar to a motor winding up. I suspect 15mg is the level for me at which this effect begins.

All subjects described 4-HO-MET as "social". We enjoyed each others company and had some very entertaining moments because of this. I noticed a slight empathogenic effect as I reflected and took a moment to appreciate some of the people I know. However, I realized I wasn't able to "feel" the appreciation as fully as I wanted to. I think 4-HO-MET would combine particularly well with an empathogen, especially given its apparent body neutrality.

There was no inherent erotic feel to 4-HO-MET. The concept of trying to have sex on this was hilarious. This is in contrast to my only previous tryptamine experience with 5-MeO-DALT.

Something I thought of near the end of the trip (and currently), is that I may have found a new "beginner's psychedelic". I think users would be more likely to encounter difficult thought loops with this one than 2C-C, but it is worthy contender given its absence of body load. Calls for experimentation in the 5 - 12mg range.

Personally, I feel I should be careful with how frequently I trip on this one (and lately, in general); I believe I would be more prone to a difficult experience if I go into it without the feeling that I have earned it. Additionally, I wonder to what degree 4-HO-MET acts as a serotonin releaser.

Overall, 4-HO-MET rates very highly on my list. A great recreational psychedelic that's easy on the body.

I hadn't read too much about 4-HO-MET before this so I am glad you posted this report. Good to hear that it is recreational as I have had many "harder to use" psychedelics in the past and sometimes it is good to just be able to enjoy the experience while you learn.

Wow, you really need to try more tryptamines.

Great report btw. I really appreciated the time you took to format it like a proper abstract too.

Thanks, I'm glad you both found it helpful.
I do indeed need to try more tryptamines. All in time. :)

Also I wanted to post the link to Erowid's directory of 4-HO-MET reports (all 12 of them!)
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_4HOMET.shtml
I had a really hard time finding the link to that page, so I figure it should be helpful for people.

Additional Information:
I was curious about converting between fumarate and HCL doses.
If my math is correct, my 15mg dose of the fumarate would've been equivalent to about 11.4mg of the HCL variety.
(assuming 254.5g/mol for the hydrochloride vs 334g/mol for the fumarate - found these figures in another BL post)

Last edited:
I love this substance... good report.

I really should write a trip report sometime... it's just when i'm on 4-ho-met i don't like to "observe" the trip, i want to experience it...

I'm adding 4-HO-MET to my list of ones I need to research, so thanks for sharing this report! I feel like it was a great starting point for my readings. :D Also, I like the way you made the report into a proper abstract. My reports always seem to be in narrative form, but I have so much difficulty knowing if I put everything I felt was important about the trip in any other way... so I respect your ability to abstract it like this!

4-HO-MET is my favorite RC! Doing it likely every weeks, it's always FUNNY and HILARIOUS AS HELL! I don't see how it is possible to bad trip on it! Very very manageable :) Very prone to chill out, no anxiety at all, everything is perfectly controlable ! The bodyload is very pleasant and not overwhelming.

Well this is a very safe substance to go with, and perfect for a first time user :)

Good Vibes and Be safe!

Really? I just didn't find it very interesting. It was somewhat generic..as in yeah I've been here before. Where as iprocin, and psilacetin offer something very special and unique in my opinion.

Yep i really love it! Beyond 20mg it's very mind blowing, just like acid but lesser ! Still very good :)

Very nice trip report :)

Of all psychedelics, this is without doubt the most physically comfortable one I have taken! No nausea, chills, aches, or uncomfortable stimulation to speak of. Excellent!
I find this too. Metocin is by far the most physically harmless psychedelic I have tried.

All participants felt that 4-HO-MET was more inherently euphoric than other psychedelics. There were many hysterical moments - I don't think I've ever laughed so much on anything.
Me too, I´ve been taking psychedelics for 15 years now, and I can´t remember ever taking something that gave me this many hysterical uncontrollable laughing fits.

the trip wasn't particularly "deep", so it was easy to distract myself. No "jolts" of anxiety were experienced as I would have expected during these moments on 2C-C or 2C-E.
Yes, it´s not very deep, but as I see it, this is what makes it more recreational than other tryptamines.
if you seek something deep, take DPT, 4-aco-dmt etc.

Visually speaking, 4-HO-MET was distinct from the 2C's. Closed eyed visuals were sharper, but less colorful. No open eyed visuals were as immediately apparent as they are on high doses of 2C's; on these, especially 2C-C, I tend to see movement in the patterns or edges of certain objects. With 4-HO-MET, I eventually found I was able to see things morph for the first time - often into faces (a little creepy, but I didn't seem to mind). This effect was subtle at the 15mg level, and I would expect it to increase with dosage.
It does increase with dosage. I take between 20 and 30 mg of the fumarate when I trip on it, and getting closer to the 30 mg it becomes VERY visual. I think it definitely has it´s own very distinct visual "style" compared to other tryptamines.

....I wonder to what degree 4-HO-MET acts as a serotonin releaser.
I am 100% sure it doesn´t release serotonin at ALL!
I know this because over the last years I have become extremely sensitive to any drug that releases serotonin or builds serotonin through inhibition. it will cause me to grind my teeth badly in sleep for month´s.
I´ve taken plenty of Metocin, and yeah, it does´nt affect serotonin in that way.

Overall, 4-HO-MET rates very highly on my list. A great recreational psychedelic that's easy on the body.
I totally agree. it´s great :)