• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

2nd time is a charm?

That's great you're being honest. Look, it is a teeny bit of a setback but it's not a HUGE setback. You should still give yourself props for the fact that you're attempting this taper at all, and that you're still focused on tapering down and that you're still trying. Don't give up <3

No n3 I feel like I started over...... well not completely but not at 4.

I was taking a consistent 8 Tramadol or Tapenidol that acted just like the tram. When I ran out of those I have the most recent Tapendol. Takes 1 hour to act, not as strong and doesn't last as long. If I wanted to continue on I would have to take more pills more often like 10.

Once I decided to slowly cut all of them off I dropped to 4. I got myself into a few bad situations. I was not in a condition to work.

For the past few days I have taken 5-7. I am not comfortable but I can function. I am trying to lengthen the time I don't take them.

I can tell my system is detoxing from the higher amount due to the mental and the emotional.

In one regard I feel it is a huge setback. But in another, if I was to make those kind of cuts I would have to stop everything I do and focus just on getting off of them. I have not given up I just have to be serious about this and act responsibly.
You are still making progress, as you say you don't feel 100% or euphoric that means your body is adjusting to the lower dosage. After a couple days or a week you should be good to go to lower it a bit once again.

Just to remove any confusion are you taking Tramadol or Tapentadol? You seem to use the names interchangeably. They share some similarities but from what I've read (I've only used tramadol, not tapentadol although I'd really like to try it. Hard to acquire where I live.) they are still very different. Tramadol has an added SNRI effect and Tapentadol only NRI (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong someone, not an expert on Tapentadol). Obviously both are still opioids but Tramadol has the added "Serotonin-withdrawal" which people would also get when stopping certain Anti-Depressants.

I am taking tapentadol 100mg from India. I have taken them for about 5 years. They replaced the tramadol that got stopped by new dr. I was able to get Tramadol 50mg from Mexico years ago that I never took. Up until few weeks ago I have took 1 50mg tramadol along with 1 Tapentadol 100 because the tramadol would act faster... only have 4 left so they are only emergency.... thats funny emergency.... in my eyes I guess...

Could you explain what SNRI is and how it applies to me?

Today... 1 100 at 4am again at 8:30 then again at 12:30... each time I waited until it was un bearable... I was driving

Could you explain what SNRI is and how it applies to me?
SNRI means Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor, and they are a class of antidepressant medication. (You may have heard of SSRIs, which include Prozac, Zoloft etc). SNRI medications typically have withdrawal symptoms when you cut down the dose or stop taking them. So with tramadol, whilst it is an opioid it also acts like an SNRI in the brain, so if you're addicted to tramadol and you stop taking it, you will have the double whammy of opioid withdrawals AND SNRI withdrawals to deal with.
Does that make sense? I just woke up lol.
Tbh honest I'm not sure exactly how the NRI (norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) effect of tapentadol will affect you. @Tramalala may have more to say about that.

@Weverd so you dose 3 pills in the morning, how many do you take in the PM?

I have been checking my area for a Dr. to supervise my taper / detox. Trying to communicate with these people would make a person want to get high...

The one I spoke with today wanted to have me come in with withdrawals from 24 hours with no pills. Then they would slowly give me a dose of Suboxone, increasing a little at a time until they found the dosage that worked. Then I would check in 1 a week... But this was not a taper, they said once suboxone was in the system there could no no pills at all or I could die. Their words not mine.

I asked about Clonidine and she said they do prescribe Clonidine but she really pushed the suboxone.

I told her I did not have insurance and she said 1st visit $300 then $175 per week and Suboxone is very expensive, like $300 a prescription.

She also was leaning me to detox at home alone with out suboxone because it is also very addictive and I would have with drawls from that as well after I am clear of what I am currently taking...

Why is this so difficult? Is what I want to do so hard to happen, Am I wanting to do something that is not possible? I am taking around 6 tabs in 24 hours now, the only reason I take the next pill is because the withdrawal symptoms get to be too much. Cold, Chills, Jittery / anxious can't sit still and seating my ass off. Some mental symptoms like screaming in my head "God please make this stop". So I take 2 instead of 1 because I want it to stop. And this happens after 6-8 hours... and they want 24? WTF

I did speak to one place that was very kind and took the time to explain things. They predominantly only deal with heroin and maintenance with methadone so I was one of their people... in fact they had never heard of Tapentadol.

Just venting I guess... Thoughts anyone?

I have been checking my area for a Dr. to supervise my taper / detox. Trying to communicate with these people would make a person want to get high...

The one I spoke with today wanted to have me come in with withdrawals from 24 hours with no pills. Then they would slowly give me a dose of Suboxone, increasing a little at a time until they found the dosage that worked. Then I would check in 1 a week... But this was not a taper, they said once suboxone was in the system there could no no pills at all or I could die. Their words not mine.

I asked about Clonidine and she said they do prescribe Clonidine but she really pushed the suboxone.

I told her I did not have insurance and she said 1st visit $300 then $175 per week and Suboxone is very expensive, like $300 a prescription.

She also was leaning me to detox at home alone with out suboxone because it is also very addictive and I would have with drawls from that as well after I am clear of what I am currently taking...

Why is this so difficult? Is what I want to do so hard to happen, Am I wanting to do something that is not possible? I am taking around 6 tabs in 24 hours now, the only reason I take the next pill is because the withdrawal symptoms get to be too much. Cold, Chills, Jittery / anxious can't sit still and seating my ass off. Some mental symptoms like screaming in my head "God please make this stop". So I take 2 instead of 1 because I want it to stop. And this happens after 6-8 hours... and they want 24? WTF

I did speak to one place that was very kind and took the time to explain things. They predominantly only deal with heroin and maintenance with methadone so I was one of their people... in fact they had never heard of Tapentadol.

Just venting I guess... Thoughts anyone?
Clonidine sounds like it would make the most sense to me. Like you mentioned if you get on Suboxone you're gonna have to taper that eventually too or withdraw from it cold turkey. I have no experience with suboxone but if you want to be 100% opioid free then it would make more sense to me to use Clonidine when the withdrawals get too tough. I'm hoping to acquire Clonidine at some point too, I've heard great things about it helping with the restlessness and the hot/cold flashes and sweats when quitting opioids/opiates.

Hope you get the help you need my man, stay strong.

Thanks T.

I am really hoping for a detox that doesn't turn me into a blubbering, twitching, shaking, tremoring, sweating drooling bug eyed freak sitting in a corner having a serious conversation with my imaginary friends....

Ok to laugh... its a funny image if it is not you!

Maybe they get entertainment out of us. They should only employee people who have been there and done this.

Clonidine is only gonna slightly take the edge off of your withdrawal. I'm not familiar with tapentadol, but I imagine it has a shorter halflife than Suboxone. Suboxone is really not that bad of a withdrawal if you taper it correctly. If you're only on it a short amount of time, like a week long taper, you will avoid withdrawal completely for the most part if done right.

Look for another clinic. Some aren't that expensive and the price of Suboxone isn't that much more than any regular prescription in my experience. I have Medicaid now but I used to get it when I had regular insurance and I don't remember it being that bad. EDIT: I missed the part where you said you didn't have insurance, sorry.

Last edited:
@Weverd well done on seeking out professional help with this, even though the info you got wasn't really all that helpful.....the fact that you're taking initiative shows that you're committed to getting clean.

Obviously there are pros and cons to both the suboxone and the clonidine options, so it really will just come down to your choice.

As deficiT stated above, in theory you wouldn't need to use the suboxone for very long, maybe a week - week and a half, after which time you wouldn't be likely to get withdrawals from stopping the suboxone. Long-term suboxone use can be just as difficult to come clean off as other long-term opiate use. You also have to consider the 24 hours you'd need to be off the tapentadol cold-turkey, which will be really unpleasant but in those kind of ituations in life you really have to just try and focus on the long-term greater good. Once they give you the suboxone the withdrawals will reduce. Then there is the expense of the suboxone without insurance, and only you will be able to answer whether or not you can afford it. Oh and I would just like to clarify something...if you choose to go on suboxone, and you happen to take an opiate, you will not die :rolleyes: You will experience what is known as precipitated withdrawals (PWDs) which will be very unpleasant and uncomfortable. But you won't die. She just told you that to scare you.

The clonidine option is of course MUCH cheaper, and even though you'll still be uncomfortable with withdrawals it will hopefully be tolerable. The clonidine will reduce the restlessness, sweating, and will help you sleep a little bit. Try to think of it is this though, it will be one week of being uncomfortable and miserable, then after that you've got the rest of your life ahead of you where you won't need to worry about this anymore. One week of unpleasantness will be worth it in the long run.

Oh, and...
I am really hoping for a detox that doesn't turn me into a blubbering, twitching, shaking, tremoring, sweating drooling bug eyed freak sitting in a corner having a serious conversation with my imaginary friends....
...it won't be that bad :)

Suboxone isnt going to help with SNRI detox part tho and also be very very careful bc a lot of places will have you go on long term suboxone maintenance, they will encourage it and tell you its what you need to do.

Can you possibly go to a GP and talk to them about a SRNI to replace what you are on now? That should help immensely!

I have an appointment with the Dr. that prescribes my diabetes meds. I am going to ask her these questions as well.

As I think back to the Oxy/Hydro detox I remember I was given something for stomach cramps and phenobarbital. I forgot was the phenobarbital was for?

I am going to do some checking on somethings today and see if I can get some answers. As I try to stretch out the time between doses, the symptoms that are the worse are the twitching, having to walk around feels like due to pent up energy and there is the insomnia.

Well... the GP is against all of the drugs we have talked about. Her opinion is taper and try CBD oil to help the restlessness. All others I have even got to speak to say cold turkey and we will put you on something else.

Really feeling like what is the point.... It is painfully obvious that they are in it for the $.

If your self paying and want to detox without massive discomfort they do not want to talk to you.

I went 8 hours before have to take something but when I did it sure was nice after dealing with these people...

Sorry your doctor's on bullshit :/ opioid withdrawal is tough, I feel your pain.

I withdrew from a daily fent/heroin habit with a couple 2mg Suboxone and some kratom, which barely touched the withdrawal. I believe if I can do it, you can too.

Sorry your doctor's on bullshit :/ opioid withdrawal is tough, I feel your pain.

I withdrew from a daily fent/heroin habit with a couple 2mg Suboxone and some kratom, which barely touched the withdrawal. I believe if I can do it, you can too.
How long was the detox? Meaning how long before you were just "uncomfortable"

I'm starting a new job (fewer triggers). I would like to detox before I start. So I am wondering how long I should tell them before I could start. I don't want their new employee acting like a space cadet.

Can someone explain how Kratom could help with detox symptoms? Please and Thank You

How long was the detox? Meaning how long before you were just "uncomfortable"

I'm starting a new job (fewer triggers). I would like to detox before I start. So I am wondering how long I should tell them before I could start. I don't want their new employee acting like a space cadet.

Can someone explain how Kratom could help with detox symptoms? Please and Thank You
The worst of the symptoms were over after about like 4 days, if I remember correctly. It wasn't unbearably long, it was just bad for a couple days.

Kratom will limit most of the symptoms. It might not take them completely away, but it will at least make them bearable.

The worst of the symptoms were over after about like 4 days, if I remember correctly. It wasn't unbearably long, it was just bad for a couple days.

Kratom will limit most of the symptoms. It might not take them completely away, but it will at least make them bearable.
Did you taper?

What dose of kratom?

I'm trying to take 1 100mg pill tapentadol every 6 hours. Its not good

Did you taper?

What dose of kratom?

I'm trying to take 1 100mg pill tapentadol every 6 hours. Its not good
I wasn't really able to effectively taper off of the H/fent. Like most people.

I normally take like 4 grams of kratom but when I was doing this I took like 8-10 grams. Bearing in mind that I've got something of a tolerance for kratom, so I didn't get any bad side effects from the kratom. It worked alright but didn't make me feel 100% well.

Thank you for your comments...

Right now I am pushing how long I can wait before I dose...
I'm cutting pills in 1/2 so I can do 1.5 and 2 when it is bad.

From experience of you all, will this work? How long? I completely understand the variables make it impossible but rough ideas are ok.

I have noticed that I recently have been estimating things with unrealistic goals.

I would just like some perspective from people who know what their talking about and who don't have a reason to bullshit me one way or the other...

I want to get this done and without professional help available it looks like I have to figure it out.

To all those who have made this sight possible, thank you, I am encouraged when I hear real facts and experiences... seriously, thank you.

I'll leave it to others with more specific knowledge to help you out but I just wanted to say I am SO FUCKING PROUD OF YOU that you're not giving up!!!!! I'm 100% rooting for you man, I know you can and will do this! <3