• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Football 2026 NFL THREAD

Yipper, I was watching the Giants game, 22 seconds left, Cardinals getting closer to score and win. So sometimes I talk to myself in these situations and I blurted out contrary to popular belief I don't like these tense moments, already getting made at the Giants. Then last throw, Giants intercept and win the game. Then I blurted out to myself oh ye of little faith.
 
Is that what you're talking about ? It's always been a thing since I've been watching but I only started around 2013-2014 or so.

I think that’s it. A certain type of punch. It’s just that I’ve not seen a lot of that so I was kind of surprised that it was a legal move. Peanut punch, awesome.
 
So the NFL takes the cake, in spades with rainbow sprinkles for having the dumbest rules of any sport or game.. we wonder why we are the only country that plays it.. because no one can figure out what the rules are… but did anyone watch the Green Bay game.. horrible calls, but why on Gods green earth wasn’t that a safety?
 
Probably to be entertaining. To cause uproar, and have people talking about the NFL more. To get fans more pegged against each other. To keep things the way they are.
 
when he was down is irrelevant.

if an offensive player is contacted by a defender in the field of play (even at the 1-yard line) and driven backward into their own end zone, it is not a safety.

the specific rule is in Rule 3, Section 12, Article 1 of the official NFL Rulebook, which explicitly defines Forward Progress:

"ARTICLE 1. FORWARD PROGRESS. The forward progress of a runner or airborne receiver is the point at which his advance toward his opponent’s goal ends and is the spot at which the ball is declared dead by rule, irrespective of the runner or receiver being pushed or carried backward by an opponent."

here is the initial contact:

nfl01.png


he's clearly in the field of play.

alasdair
 
That’s my point.. the NFL’s 80
pages pretty much single spaced of rules are a bit much.. and some are stupid.. like the one where you have to maintain control of a catch after you are out of bounds.. Don’t bobble the ball as you are hurtling through the mayhem of the sidelines. That and the refs are often so
bad.. look at that packer game.. there were at least 3 terrible calls.. calls on both teams that were total shit. i literally had to force myself to utterly ignore nfl calls or my enjoyment of the game would be ruined so often i likely would have to give the sport up… thank god they finally have that replay assist rocking/. i
mean what a no brainer and should have been implemented a decade ago.
 
Last edited:
that the rule is stupid is a different discussion...

but your question was "why on Gods green earth wasn’t that a safety?". because, per the rules as they are written today, it was not a safety :)

alasdair
 
Top