• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

2015 Academy Awards Predictions

Bardeaux

Bluelight Crew
After my terrible performance in last years prediction thread, I hope to make up for it this year. Let's focus on the "Big 6" again.

The Nominees:

Best Picture

American Sniper
Boyhood
Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash

Best Director

Alejandro González Iñárritu, "Birdman"
Richard Linklater, "Boyhood"
Bennett Miller, "Foxcatcher"
Wes Anderson, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Morten Tydlum, "The Imitation Game"

Best Actor

Steve Carell, "Foxcatcher"
Bradley Cooper, "American Sniper"
Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game"
Michael Keaton, "Birdman"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything"

Best Actress

Marion Cotillard, "Two Days, One Night"
Felicity Jones, "The Theory of Everything"
Julianne Moore, "Still Alice"
Rosamund Pike, "Gone Girl"
Reese Witherspoon, "Wild"

Best Supporting Actor

Robert Duvall, "The Judge"
Ethan Hawke, "Boyhood"
Edward Norton, "Birdman"
Mark Ruffalo, "Foxcatcher"
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash" (will flip a shit if he doesn't win)

Best Supporting Actress

Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood"
Laura Dern, "Wild"
Keira Knightley, "The Imitation Game"
Emma Stone, "Birdman"
Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"

I'm pretty much expecting Boyhood to cleanup this year.

Haven't really seen too many of the movies on this list. The Grand Budapest Hotel really is an epic triumph, probably the best movie he's put out in years. Imitation Game is a good movie, but a bit typical.

Best Picture

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Director

Best Actor

Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game" ?

Best Actress

?????????
Marion Cotillard, "Two Days, One Night" Heard good things.

Best Supporting Actor

??????
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash" Heard this was a good movie.

Best Supporting Actress

Which movies have you guys seen?

I'll post my predictions when I do a little more research, but I've only seen a few of these films. Some movies, like Whiplash and Birdman for example, didn't come to the theaters around here or only came to one of the smaller theaters. I had wanted to see both of them too. I like a number of Richard Linklater's films so I was disappointed that I didn't see Boyhood, especially with all the buzz surrounding it, from when it came out to this awards season.

Of the movies on there I've only seen The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, Gone Girl, and The Judge. I'm hoping to see a few more. Since it hasn't been out that long I might get to see American Sniper and maybe Foxcatcher.

I've seen all of the best picture noms aside from The Theory of Everything. I caught Budapest and Gone Girl in theaters last year, but haven't seen Foxcatcher, which seems like an important one to see.

Of the best picture nominees, Whiplash really impressed me the most. I mean, Boyhood was exceptional, but I went into it knowing it was going to be great. Whiplash was a complete surprise.

In terms of innovation I really can't recall anything on the scale of boyhood, especially outside of a documentary style film. Between each scene everyone is noticeably older, the same actors who were little kids in the beginning become adolescents and young adults throughout the story. It's really quite incredible.

Best Picture
Boyhood

Best Director

Best Actor

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"

Best Supporting Actress

alasdair

Last edited:
Boyhood wasnt that good imo. I preferred birdman, nightcrawler, whiplash and probably a few more films over it.

I'm going to post predictions soon now that I've seen a few more. Since I last posted I've seen American Sniper and Boyhood.

I might see Still Alice, but I'm not sure. Has anyone seen it and if so how depressing was it?

boyhood deserves any accolades it might get

how did bradley cooper get nominated for american sniper, i heard the movie was stinky

still alice was not as depressing as i heard it was, it deals with heavy subject matter. but it made me uncomfortable more than sad, i wasn't really much of a fan although i really like Julianne moore as an actress, i preferred her in 'Safe (1995)' tbh. i wouldn't recommend it personally.

I'm going to post predictions soon now that I've seen a few more. Since I last posted I've seen American Sniper and Boyhood.

I might see Still Alice, but I'm not sure. Has anyone seen it and if so how depressing was it?
To answer your question, if Alice was super depressing, just looking at the title of the sequel should give you a good indication.

I've seen Boyhood, Grand Budapest Hotel, and Birdman -- loved the first two, really enjoyed the last. I'll be surprised if Boyhood doesn't get best picture. Birdman has to take home best cinematography. Even though it's Anderson's most artistically mature work, and its execution is near perfect, Grand Budapest Hotel is too well rounded to stand out against its competitors.

I agree about the Gyllenhaal snub for Nightcrawler. He's like Gordon Gekko in another life if he came up with Aspergers.

Last edited:
I didn't understand that at all. So it didn't answer my question.

The movie Alice was very depressing. So the sequel, STILL Alice, would imply it is STILL very depressing.

It was a bad joke. There is no sequel/prequel and now that I've explained everything I'm going to have a beer. Good day, sir.

Best Picture

American Sniper
Boyhood
Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash

Best Director

Alejandro González Iñárritu, "Birdman"
Bennett Miller, "Foxcatcher"
Morten Tydlum, "The Imitation Game"

Best Actor

Steve Carell, "Foxcatcher"
Bradley Cooper, "American Sniper"
Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything"

Best Actress

Marion Cotillard, "Two Days, One Night"
Felicity Jones, "The Theory of Everything"
Rosamund Pike, "Gone Girl"
Reese Witherspoon, "Wild"

Best Supporting Actor

Robert Duvall, "The Judge"
Ethan Hawke, "Boyhood"
Edward Norton, "Birdman"
Mark Ruffalo, "Foxcatcher"
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"

Best Supporting Actress

Laura Dern, "Wild"
Emma Stone, "Birdman"
Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"

My predictions are pretty much the same as Bardeaux.

Boyhood
Linklater
Moore
JK Simmons
Arquette

Only difference is Cumberbatch

Still can't believe that Interstellar wasn't nominated...

I think The Grand Budapest Hotel and Whiplash were great but Interstellar was by and far the best picture for 2015.

Foxcatcher and Birdman were good, but not great.

American Sniper was a joke, Selma and the Imitation Game are included just for politics...

Nightcrawler is such a better movie than the Imitation Game OR Selma, and Interstellar destroys all the noms.

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash" (will flip a shit if he doesn't win)

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash" Heard this was a good movie.

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"

alasdair

Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"

JK Simmons

Good job so far homies

The movie Alice was very depressing. So the sequel, STILL Alice, would imply it is STILL very depressing.

It was a bad joke. There is no sequel/prequel and now that I've explained everything I'm going to have a beer. Good day, sir.

Ah, I'm a little slow eh

When I fell off the jungle gym I woke up in the special class

Nightcrawler is such a better movie than the Imitation Game OR Selma, and Interstellar destroys all the noms.

Nope.