• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2013 MLB thread

nice pics arci - that looks like a pretty nice ballpark. and nice seats!

alasdair

Thanks alasdair
Watching someone hit a homerun from that perspective is a beautiful thing.

Pretty good chance i'll be sitting right there in that same seat for the 2014 All-Star game and Home Run Derby %)

Last edited:
Watching someone hit a homerun from that perspective is a beautiful thing.

hitting one is way better of a feeling
specially when you hit one off the fence 5 times in your junior year, without actually hitting one over
we lost both games I hit mine in, so it's not like they were significant

too bad you'll never know what that feels like

lol so you were the kid with 'warning track power'

you look clumsy too. coach probably always sent out that mexican kid to pinch run for you when you did make it on base. Yeah Jaun was cross eyed but fuck could that boy run like hell

Saw this yesterday:

In 2001, Barry Bonds hit 73 home runs in 476 at-bats. In 2013, the Giants have hit 73 home runs in 4,160 at-bats.

is there a crappier way to lose a baseball game than your pitcher to walk in a bases-loaded run in the bottom of the ninth inning?

:\

alasdair

is there a crappier way to lose a baseball game than your pitcher to walk in a bases-loaded run in the bottom of the ninth inning?

:\

alasdair

yeah this gif actually, typical Pirates win

they just became the first team since GIFs were created to have a walk-off error

NSFW:
ipQugCELl54CU.gif

You guys think the Marlins or the Astros will finish with a worse record this year?

I'll take the Marlins

my prediction of the Marlins being worse than the Astros still has time to develop, but that would require the Astros to win some games

idk

you look clumsy too. coach probably always sent out that mexican kid to pinch run for you when you did make it on base. Yeah Jaun was cross eyed but fuck could that boy run like hell

and another immature pest tries to take a personal jab at me, i love when this happens :)

yeah i had warning track power, my junior year, senior year left the yard twice, and i never, EVER lifted weights, fuck that, yet was still able to rope the ball while being pretty weak....weird, huh?

instead of just telling you to STFU and call you a-hole, i'll just give you little lesson on base running that nobody ever took the time to teach you

you clearly haven't ever played baseball at the level where you actually learn how to play the game
i wasn't very quick, very true, but with long strides i was able to make my way from 2nd base to home quite efficiently

give me the kid who is a smart player and runs a 4.9 vs the kid who runs a 4.3 and only reason he isn't on JV squad is cause he's a senior

effective base running is 80% mental 20% speed

a base runner must always watch where the ball is at once it reaches the fielder, take notice to how cleanly a fielder fields the ball and watch where the defense is going throw the ball, if somebody misses a cut you there's no fucking excuse not advancing an extra base, if the cut off man lollygags and just walks the ball in and puts his head down/takes eye of the runner, you just might be able to advance base

a good base runner possesses split time judgment when deciding wheater of not tagging up on a fly ball is a good idea or if coming off the base, stopping around half way towards 2nd base is a better one - ball may not be deep enough to tag, but coming off half way is really important for two reason, if OFer drops it, he'll reach 2nd base safely instead of maybe getting doubled up, and if it's hit deep you come off the bag and if it's caught you should stillhave enough time to run back to the bag and tag, and if it's hit over the OF'ers head, you can just coast home

having the discipline to 'feeze' on a line drive can be tricky, an inexperienced player generally starts running to the next bag as soon as he realizes it's hit well, getting doubled up in the process, rally killer

need to be aware of how many outs/ other runners are on base, have ability to invasion all possible scenarios before the pitch and like a machine, knows exactly what to do as soon as the batter puts the ball in play

a good base runner knows when to try to stretch a hit into a double or to just stay on first, anyone who gets a single that reaches the outfield understands thatjust running through first base and lazily walking back towards first , cause shit, i just got a hit, SWEET, is bush leage....instead the runner needs to take a hard turn towards 2nd base and watches if the ball is fielded/thrown in clean, waiting for opportunities to be aggressive and safely advance to 2nd

and a good base runner understands how to take a secondary lead, will never get picked off, get caught in a run down, and understands that after he scores cause of a ball put in play, and there's a runner behind him, it's his responsibility to grab the bat and signal to the other base runner trying to score a run whether he needs to get down, stay up, or just put the breaks on, cause either the 3rd out was made or the defense has no chance at a play at the plate

i bet you knew all that from watching baseball on TV
the reason i understand how to play baseball isn't because i'm some all American talent who isn't in the big leagues just because my coach hated me

no, i had good coaches and some teammates who really sucked

apparently the 8/8 coaches who voted me in as a first team district all-star in '05 didn't notice any significant clumsiness, although pretty sure only reason i was unanimous is because of my monster junior year where our team actually went 8-6, compared to senior year we went 2-14 and my avg was .100 points less than junior year

have any tips on when it's safe to take off for 2nd trying to steal vs a left handed pitcher?

know who should be the cut off man when there's 2 outs and a runner on 3rd, base hit to left field? what base should the cut off man line up the left fielder to throw to?

and one more, what bunt defense should we play when there's nobody out and runners on first and second?

i know you're going to take this post within the wrong context, but at least answer these questions for me, i don't want to feel alone, even if you get 1 of them right i'll feel like i'm in good company :)

Last edited:
After all that and you didn't even mention the most important thing about baserunning. Hitting the inside corner with your left foot

and you still look clumsy as fuck, i'd run circles around you

and i have no idea how you didn't realize i was joking, lol goddamn

thanks for the worthless tips on baserunning though

baserunning shouldnt really have to be taught imo

you either know the situation and what it calls for

or dont

some people are just so naturally gifted they dont have to comprehend the sitaution because that would require thought, which the lack of is also a good thing to have in sports

just not for shit like baserunning

base running is mostly taught through personal trial and error

and i agree not having any thoughts is a good think
during every at bat, horse shoe toss and golf swing my brain is just coasting

Hitting the inside corner with your left foot

and you still look clumsy as fuck, i'd run circles around you

thanks for the worthless tips on baserunning though
1. that's stuff taught to you in little league

2. you're not an athlete, it's obvious

3. those base running tips are advanced, if you're not a baseball player, they seem like foreign, useless ideas, but in reality they're the difference in games

I never played a second of baseball in an organized setting past the point where you hit it off a tee

somewhat because I thought it was such an error-prone game at the lower levels and therefore the best team didnt even usually win most of the time, just whoever made the least huge string of mistakes

somewhat because I didn't trust a random kid I didn't know to hurl a solid object at my unprotected face with the only incentive to not hit me is if it was a close game, which little league games almost never were

but the real reason was because baseball and lacrosse seasons happen at the same time and I didnt have to stand around in long pants in 90 degree weather with even worse humidity on a lacrosse field, and there was actual teamwork involved

it all boils down to what sports come natural to people, if nothing comes natural you work your ass off just to be able to hang around the team or if you're smart you join the band or sign-up for AP math/science courses and live happily ever after

i didn't choose baseball it chose me, my gene pool is flooded with the baseball bug, my brother, father and uncle all played at the JC/D2 level, brother was first team PSAC, dad and uncle opportunities to go 'pro' out of HS, but chose college, cause they knew better, great great uncle was a yankee

i didn't even try to play baseball in college, i was good for my area but my school was really fucking good and i don't handle sitting the bench very well and the idea of mandatory lifting/work outs and being a part of a group made up of of typical baseball douchebaggery was not appealing to me
i went out in style, went 1-2 and pitched a perfect 6th and 7th inning(i wasn't even a pitcher except for like 5 garbage innings my senior year, and got shelled) and picked up the win at the senior all star game, and my rival and childhood best friend who transferred HS got the L, game was played at former home on your Scranton/wilkes barre red barons, the now defunct Phillies AAA team

curt shilling, brey myers, cole hamels, roger clemmons and others have pitched on that same mound ,but arci is going to correct/teach me about anything that has to do with playing the game, sounds about right

from what I've heard with my own two ears though, moreso than in any other sport, people who play baseball generally think they could have gone pro if they tried harder

china when have i ever tried to teach you anything

doesn't matter tho you still suck at basketball
i'll let you clumsy boys do the bat swingin' ;)

from what I've heard with my own two ears though, moreso than in any other sport, people who play baseball generally think they could have gone pro if they tried harder

this is true, mostly because each organization has approx. 250 roster spots from rookie league all the way up to the majors and the draft is like 50+ rounds

that and there's independent baseball

but making it in the bigs in baseball might be the hardest thing for any American athlete to accomplish, considering how dominate the latinos, cubans and Dominicans are

I had a close friend who was so committed to making it to the bigs, he was a damn fine player but everyone around him just knew he didn't have the bat to ever make a name for himself and kind of mocked him along the way, I will say that he did play a great fucking centerfield though, but you can't be hitting .143 and striking out half of your at bats @ east stoudsburg

it's a rather depressing story cause he is a good kid and has been through a lot of family troubles, i'm happy to see that he's finally realized his potential and is now coaching a nationally successful junior college, most kids who make it but never get past A level ball usually end up getting screwed

and arci you didn't teach me anything but you completely down played things that I've learned from playing season after season of baseball/softball every summer since 1991

base running ins't just run to the bag, stop look around, and advance if you can, you have to get into this zone where you become part of moment and are conscious of everything around you, it's very zen-like

and I can dunk, I was the only kid in my school from '02-current that can do so, but never played past freshman, I just knew I wasn't very good, running my ass off everyday after school wasn't worth the 30 seconds of PT that I didn't even want, I was the only kid who was happy that he never got put into the game, it was my 'just fun to be around', a way to avoild off season baseball weight lifting and keeping my body in shape to prepare for baseball season sport, and had too much fun playing pick up games with friends,

I probably can't dunk anymore, and when I was able to it was with two hands and not in traffic, i'm a shot blocking catapult with a pin drop power-finesse passing skills. I know my role vs 30-50 year old white guys who are mostly shorter than 5'10, only take open shots under the basket, offensive rebound put backs, and crash the fuck out of the boards

and you guessed it, i'm an awful dribbler, I constantly create my own turnovers when I lead a fast break, but I never, ever fucking get knocked off my feet, unless I get punished with a flagrant 2 my balance is tight rope level, that and I can get away with just jumping up and 'arm rebounding'

I used to play every tues and thurs in the winter time, but fuck risking serious knee/leg injury, I have work everyday and need my body, some of these younger faggots play angry and with some chip on their shoulder, it's just not fun, and since i'm a good passer I always look for the ball outside the arc, not looking to shoot, just find a cutter in the lane, and I get these midgets telling me i'm too tall to play outside the paint, i'm only 6'3, I would be a small SG in D3 bball....not that any of those lazy fucks ever make any cuts

when I tried playing intramurals in college I was raped every night, god damn those nobodies were fucking good, really good, lord have mercy, or not

I'm really in a bad place after Hayward got his face exploded yesterday. I need a hug from a junkie.

i fucking love Jason Hayward, i hope he makes a speedy recovery

i love all African American baseball players, they are cooler than white dudes in the NBA
i guess I've gotta for the first time come to the conclusion that mccutchen is my favorite player, my first favorite player since Roberto Kelly when he was a yankee, homer bush was pretty fucking cool too, as was glenallen hill, chile davis, barry bonds, ron gant, Charlie hayes and mo Vaughn
fuck ryan howard

i never played against a black dude until i was like 21 years old @ a softball tournament in new york