• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread v. The Suck of the Irish

I will admit that Buckeye fans have a superiority complex. but I mean, you guys just don't get it. since the day I was born Ohio State has been shining with greatness - you could say it has been a constant in my life. most of your teams are good for like two years and then suck for eight. well, imagine being good for your whole entire life? imagine having a tradition that is more closely related to a religion than just watching a game on Sundays... imagine these things and you can live, but for a second, in the elevated status that comes along with being an Ohio State football fan

they've won 1 championship in the past 40 years. nbdjs

they've won 1 championship in the past 40 years. nbdjs

They are 0-10 against the SEC in BCS bowl games
. Just b/c you are a huge fan axl doesnt make tOSU any less overrated. I can admit UGA is overrated many years and the high preseason rankings almost always annoys me. If we would have beat Bama last year we could have returned to greatness and won the NC but thats all here say. I have been a UGA fan since I was young and always will be but with our current situation IE Richt I have to accept mediocrity. And yes Urban clealry had major health issue caused by the stress of his job. So his transition was a Win Win: coach at the school of your dreams and remain a major player AND not have all the pressure of being in a top tier league. It is how I imagine BSUs HC thinks about his job.

^Hasn't Georgia always been pretty much mediocre? I mean, I know you guys have been SEC Championship contenders for a while, but it seems like that's all you really strive for. You don't have the expectations of a Miami, Alabama, Florida, FSU, Notre Dame, OSU, etc.. etc.. where winning a National Championship is the only thing that is important, now matter how down the programs schools may be at the time. Weren't you guys pretty much even up with Georgia Tech at one point in your history? I was under the impression that before this recent decade of SEC dominance, Georgia and Georgia Tech were both pretty much the same caliber of school. I also remember Georgia Tech winning a title in 1980 (right year?), can't recall if Georgia has ever actually won one.

^Hasn't Georgia always been pretty much mediocre? I mean, I know you guys have been SEC Championship contenders for a while, but it seems like that's all you really strive for. You don't have the expectations of a Miami, Alabama, Florida, FSU, Notre Dame, OSU, etc.. etc.. where winning a National Championship is the only thing that is important, now matter how down the programs schools may be at the time. Weren't you guys pretty much even up with Georgia Tech at one point in your history? I was under the impression that before this recent decade of SEC dominance, Georgia and Georgia Tech were both pretty much the same caliber of school. I also remember Georgia Tech winning a title in 1980 (right year?), can't recall if Georgia has ever actually won one.

UGA won one in 1980 with Hershel Walker Tech won one in 1991 I think?? You are right we are always contenders but never quite there. I like Richt as a person but hate him as a coach and question his calls every game. I have always been a UGA fan so I am not going to just jump ship like so many chumps do. We dominate GAtech with their gimmicky offenses. GAtech was in the SEC back in the day -fun fact. like I said if we would have beat Bama in the SEC CG last year we would not be having this conversation. LOL@ miami and notre dame being mentioned with greatness.

UGA won one in 1980 with Hershel Walker Tech won one in 1991 I think?? You are right we are always contenders but never quite there. I like Richt as a person but hate him as a coach and question his calls every game. I have always been a UGA fan so I am not going to just jump ship like so many chumps do. We dominate GAtech with their gimmicky offenses. GAtech was in the SEC back in the day -fun fact. like I said if we would have beat Bama in the SEC CG last year we would not be having this conversation. LOL@ miami and notre dame being mentioned with greatness.

Just saying, you should be happy with where Richt has brought you. You guys were an afterthought before the SEC had its nice little run. Your program is elevated by a fuckload, top recruits who would never even think about going to Georgia over more traditional powers nearby like Florida, FSU, and Alabama are now heading to Georgia.

Even so, when you talk to Georgia fans, you don't get the impression that title expectations are too high. That you guys would be content winning your conference every year.

And that's where Miami and Notre Dame come in. Both schools have championship expectations. It might not work out every year, and both programs might have been down for a while (Notre Dame a lot longer, especially if you view last season's MNC appearance as the mirage it was), but the expectations are to win championships. They aren't content with beating rivals or winning conferences. In fact, a conference championship is essentially meaningless to most Miami fans, except as a stepping stone to being an improved team that is ready to rejoin the title picture and restore order. Even if when what they put on the field in a particular season (or a string of seasons) isn't excellent, they both have fairly recent histories of excellence that far surpass anything Georgia has ever done, beyond what I think your average Georgia fan would even dream possible for their program. So, yeah, I don't really understand you lol'ing at Miami and Notre Dame being associated with greatness just because they are currently down as programs.

Although to be fair, Notre Dame is never getting back up. You need local talent in order to recruit a Title contending team these days.

big LOL at a Georgia Bulldawgs fan trying to take a Buckeyes fan off of his high horse. I mean 3, 4 said it best - you just don't know what it's like to be a fan of such teams like Alabama or Miami or Ohio State. you just don't have the tradition

and yes shimazu, one Nat'l Title in 40 years. but how many other BCS victories have there been? how many Rose Bowl wins were there? I don't think you are a big enough college football fan to remember when winning the Rose Bowl was essentially a National Championship. also Archie Griffin, the world's only two-time Heisman winner. also, countless winning seasons and lasting memories and Big Ten championships

UGA is one year away from being a cellar dweller for a decade. UGA will be the new Tennessee

1=1 axl, no excuses. The rose bowl has never been the same as the NationalChampionship seeing as its always been based on conference. Don't give me that bullshit.

1=1 axl, no excuses. The rose bowl has never been the same as the NationalChampionship seeing as its always been based on conference. Don't give me that bullshit.

Actually, pre-BCS, if you were good enough to play in a major bowl game, there was always a chance that you were playing for a share of the national championship.

If #1 Alabama chose to play #9 Michigan in the Orange Bowl, and Michigan won, then #2 USC having beat the living crap out #3 Texas in the Rose Bowl might have swayed some of the polls to vote USC #1 even though Michigan played in the supposed title game and won. As such, Michigan might have won the UPI while USC could have won the AP, with the other polls (close to a dozen I think) split between them.

It was a very complicated and disorganized system. I know we all hate on the BCS, and I'm glad it is about to be gone too, but it was even worse before it. Believe it or not, the BCS was an improvement.

the Rose Bowl is a huge deal, I dunno man... not so much anymore, so I'm sure most won't agree with me...

and YES. College Gameday will be at Indianapolis for tOSU VS MSU Big Ten CG

about damn time. I really feel like making that drive, straight west on 70

Wouldnt it be nice if there was actually a way to settle these arguments by having a playoff? The fact that this awful format has gone on for so long is really mind boggling.

Actually, pre-BCS, if you were good enough to play in a major bowl game, there was always a chance that you were playing for a share of the national championship.

If #1 Alabama chose to play #9 Michigan in the Orange Bowl, and Michigan won, then #2 USC having beat the living crap out #3 Texas in the Rose Bowl might have swayed some of the polls to vote USC #1 even though Michigan played in the supposed title game and won. As such, Michigan might have won the UPI while USC could have won the AP, with the other polls (close to a dozen I think) split between them.

It was a very complicated and disorganized system. I know we all hate on the BCS, and I'm glad it is about to be gone too, but it was even worse before it. Believe it or not, the BCS was an improvement.

Lol it is still a disorganized system with BCS bias and what not. Sorry but tOSU has only gotten what it has gotten in recent years b/c it is in such a weak conference, cheating, and BCS bias. If UGA were in the B10 they would have had multiple titles by now; heck ole miss would probably have one. One NC in the last 40 years and 0-10 against the SEC in BCS bowl games puts tOSU into perspective imo

Damn, sounds like Winston raped that girl but there just isn't enough evidence to prosecute at this point. That's fucked up.

I feel bad for this girl but this is almost what you should expect when you go out getting drunk at parties being irresponsible with people that can do no wrong. This guy is a slime bag but with the NCAA,Tallahassee PD, and FSU behind him he is a force to be reckoned with imo

yep getting drunk means you get raped

bye bye boise, chris peterson and his brain tumor kid who he swore he would never take away from boise doctors are going to UW.

Lol he was innocent the girl just didnt file the charges until she realized she could have a huge pay day with FSUs undefeated season.

I believe she filed charges last year when he was a nobody...

Charges were never filed, there was an accusation that is all.
Winston had been fully exhonerated.

I'm watching the SEC CG and rooting for Missouri, I guess

but damn entheo, Mizzou hasn't won an outright conference championship until the 1960s when they were in the Big Eight? that's a long time, bro...

485057_10151264930932173_1990728371_n.jpg

O-H-I-O!!!!

damn, Auburn's special teams has been killing it the last two games

This game is gonna be a scary shoot out.

That stat was for outright titles. The big 12 didn't have championship games for many years.

Wtf @ onside kick!!!!!