• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids 20 days Constipated on Methadone! Help!

PeanutBetter

Greenlighter
Hi, I am new to the forum but I have lurked for years. I recently got on Methadone and have quit drinking as well so I am Doing really well in the first time in forever. Unfortunately, since getting to a comfortable dose (50mg) I have had terrible constipation. It’s been about 3 weeks since I’ve moved anything solid. I have some Suboxone and Subutex left over from when I was on that before relapsing. Besides that I do not have any antagonist (including the OIC meds that were prescribed because my insurance does not want to cover it. I have tried every laxative enema, flush... everything at my disposal. I have been in the hospital twice this week but haven’t made progress in making a bowel movement. I am getting quite scared. I have always struggled with OIC, but on Oxy it Would usually wear off at night and I’d be able to go a few times a week. Because the Methadone doesn’t wear off, there is never a possible time where my ass is not basically welded shut! Anyone have any advice? Tips or tricks on how to treat this? I have heard weed helps with this ailment but I don’t smoke, Although I would right now if I had the opportunity just to see if it would relax my ass. I am really uncomfortable and this has been going on FAR too long. Any advice is appreciated. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

They may just go in there manually with a finger. Get some surgical gloves and a little lube and gi for it yourself, shitnive HAD to, the agony was fucking ridiculous (didnt have the luxury of gloves or lube except spit).
Gid i felt fucking good after that ordeal was out of my body. It was like an otter made of concrete and broken glass.

I thought that methadone was one of the better opioids in this sense, sounds like the dose might be too high now that its had time to build up. I would try reducing the dose by 10mg and if it doesn't last the full 24 hrs try getting 20 mg split twice a day. Unfortunately this side effect is not really known to go away. Maybe you can get back to being prescribed subs?

Oh and maybe skip a day of methadone you might not even feel that awful without it, if you are on daily pickup you could go first thing in the morning and see how you feel waiting as late as possible the next day. Also liquids

Last edited:
pharmacy sells that liquid you drink before surgery to clean you out. just ask them, they'll know what your talking about. stuff will bust a concrete block imo.

Loperamide abuse has made me immune to this issue it seems; but I never had a methadone regimen like yours. They go give naloxone but why not methylnaltrexone? (would be a miracle drug for you: it's an opioid inverse agonist but doesn't cross the blood-brain p-glyco protein barrier: like a reverse Imodium.)

Last edited:
Too much magnesium supplements help clear me out if I forget to already took some magnesium that day. Hope it gets settled! Impacted bowel sounds like it hurts.

Besides methylnaltrexone that isn't accessible, metamucil is a bulking agent. Sounds like a recipe for disaster but actual help to move it through even on heroic opioid baselines.

Magnesium citrate , and fleet mineral enima
then 4 tablespoons of fresh ground flaxseed in a cup of warm water Everyday

Honestly... Put on some gloves, get some lube, and try to pull it out and if you can break it up inside... Be careful though as you can easily cause tears and it will be a bitch for those to heal. I honestly keep a box of gloves around and manually disempact myself whenever I need to go. Again though slow and steady wins the race... If somwthings too big or too far just pull out what you can, breathe a bit while pushing, and reach in and try again where pushing while wiggling the finger to massage can cause the intestine to push more.

I'm not kidding you... I've had to do this without gloves and only wet wipes a lot, which actually caused more harm as the wet wipes would dry out the inside area removing the natural mucous lubing. Never wipe too deep with wet wipes.

Edit: I'll be honest though... At 20 days you might want to check with a dr first.

I have tried the magnesium citrate before but it didn’t produce a movement. I am going to ask if I can dose lower today (35mg if possible). If so, I am going to do that and then try to magnesium flush tonight with an enema. Getting my finger up there didn’t work. Like I said, it’s as tight as a vice. If they don’t let me dose lower, I will not dose at all. methylnaltrexone would be great!! Unfortunately my insurance does not cover it! I am going to ask for it my name at the primary care, but I won’t be able to get in there until at least tomorrow. I am going to the clinic shortly, will update.

I've had friends who've opted for manual, 'digital' movements. Always amazed it could get that far. Not to long ago my mother had too look into G.I. issues with a doctor, who told her she had an 'extra bend' at the end of her G.I. tract. If it has anything to do with mitochlondria then I've inherited it; you'd think an extra bend'd be worse for such things

Last edited:
Id get a huge mineral oil enema lay down where i can see my tv or tablet on my side and hold it for as long as possible i mean long i talking tv marathon. 20 days is no joke. Im getting flash backs to when i had bowel issues. One time i thought i was dying. It was horrible.

Update- I am in the ER now and they are ordering Methylnaltrexone.
tacodude as well as the pharmacist I went to after I was in the ER Friday were right. If anyone reads this in the future, at 20 days go to the ER.

Will update after the methylnaltrexone shot.

Last edited:
Update- The injection started working within 15 minutes and has been incredibly effective. Doctor will write me me a script for this when I am ready To go. Glad I didn’t skip a dose or do anything else to make myself miserable.

It's really good to hear that you found a solution, long-term constipation is no joke, it can poison you. Fecal impactions can kill people in extreme cases. I've been constipated for 4 days before from opiates and it felt horrible. Congrats!

I've had friends who've opted for manual, 'digital' movements. Always amazed it could get that far. Not to long ago my mother had to look into G.I. issues with a doctor, who told her she had an 'extra bend' at the end of her G.I. tract. If it has anything to do with mitochlondria then I've inherited it; you'd think an extra bend'd be worse for such things
I swear I must have that issue because it's like I try to push, but it pushes it into a corner rather then out the hole. Either way I've never felt as empty as after clearing out manually... Feels good to have the fingers up there too. Might as well massage the prostate while they're up there right?

Edit: methylnaltraxone? Interesting! Did it send you into w/d at all?

Miralax (polyethelene glycol) is the best for actually relieving constipation, but it takes a few days of continued use and doesn't really fix the waste that has already become compacted, although if it isn't too severe, it'll help you move that out. Milk of magnesia (the liquid only, not the tablet) is the best for producing a fast-acting bowel movement, and even better it's not a "stimulant" laxative in the bad sense (like bisacodyl, sennosides, etc.) that you can become quasi-dependent on for bowel movements if taken too long. You can and should double-dose with both Miralax and Milk of magnesia if you are in an acute situation.

None of these things, other than glycerine enemas (which I could never get to work), will be helpful for actually breaking up a solid mass that has formed over a long period of constipation. As mentioned above, manual removal is your best bet, and it doesn't have to be unbearably painful if you do it right (although the shame is a different matter). Rubber gloves and a bottle of mineral oil for lubrication are highly advised. Do this in conjunction with other laxatives (Miralax + Milk of Magnesia being the best combo), so that the more recent feces is kept from drying out and so that peristalsis is provoked to move the compacted feces forward. Then use a gloved and lubricated finger to break up a few inches of the the unpassable rocks of constipation, and repeat as the other laxatives move it forward.