• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

How did you get into the more "hardcore" drugs

I always had severe social anxiety issues growing up that just got worse over the years. Friends went from few and far between as a little kid to none in high school. I just couldn't hold a normal conversation; so I was always silent, which creeped people out. And I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to get relief from the medical system. Different therapy techniques, then prescribed SSRIs (every generation in sequence), Wellbutrin, and eventually benzodiazepines. None of these helped. So despite being in all the gifted programs then AP classes being the straight-edged nerd, eventually I tried alcohol and pot. These didn't help either. It wasn't the normal social anxiety issues... I wasn't nervous about being around people, whenever I did get invited somewhere I jumped at the chance, I participated in all manner of extracurriculars-- I just couldn't talk like a normal person. Given a specific topic, sure I could talk about that topic. But an unstructured informal social small talk? Just couldn't do it, even if drunk or high.

This continued right on into college. I lived on campus freshman year; this is the single easiest time in life to make new friends or have a relationship, and I couldn't accomplish either all year. Just the creepy quiet guy. So that summer, back home, I got desperate enough to do something I was vehemently opposed to and condemned people for my entire life until that point, trying hard drugs. The first thing I had an opportunity to use (having only ever used alcohol and pot at this point) was cocaine. I'll never forget that first line... within seconds, all my fear of and inability to hold conversations was gone. I was the life of the party, talking to everyone, even having fun conversations with girls. Well, that was obviously not something that was going to be a one time thing for me and the floodgates opened as all my negative opinions on hard drugs flew out the window.

A few months later I had the opportunity to take opiates for the first time, and immediately found these had the same social benefits without the increasing side effects cocaine was having. And as they say, the rest is history. Opiates let me be the person I wanted to be. Unless I was partying, I never even took an amount large enough for anyone to notice. I was just a normal person, who finally had friends and relationships-- and not just drug friends either, my core circle of best friends that I hung out with every day in college had no idea I used opiates and coke, and didn't do anything worse than alcohol themselves. They were all shocked when I finally told them 3 years later.

As I studied psychobiology as an undergrad major, and got heavily into psychopharmacology as a particular focus area, I began to understand the imbalances as the root of my problem. A deficiency in the chemicals related to the natural reward system not only explained the particular social phobia, but also all the comorbid diagnoses I had received over the years (ADHD/I, mild Aspergers); I didn't get the rewards normal people get from talking and sharing-- reward deficiency syndrome-- and as all those are related to dopamine and endorphin systems, it perfectly explained why alcohol and benzodiazepines had zero effect on my social anxiety, but strong stimulants and opiates did.

So what's a guy to do... eventually the financial and legal aspects of self medicating that way began to have serious consequences. But I hate the person I am without at least opiates so much that there is simply no way I would go on living without them. It's been 13 years of addiction now, but I'm a normal, stable, functional person with a real social life and ability to date girls-- I went through 4 years of college, and have been extremely highly regarded in every job I've had. But I did face some prison time that cost me everything I had at the time and all my disposable income goes to pay for the drugs. But I still have the same opinion as when I started, the benefits outweigh the costs. So I have zero desire whatsoever to stop using, and almost certainly never will, especially considering since I'm just using to be a normal person I don't go crazy stealing and living the stereotypical junkie life. I just get my drugs then go about a normal life, only my dealer and very closest friends even know I use.

Last edited:
i started with alcohol pretty young, moved onto opiates. i tried marijuana but i didnt realy abuse any drug besides alcohol until i started abusing heroin, which mostly got rid of my alcohol problem. i kind of laugh when people refer to marijauna as a gateway drug but its realy alcohol that gets people to get into the harder stuff, drink to much heres a key bump, take a line which then of course leads to needing a downer to finaly go to sleep. i know i cant speak for everyone but alcohol was what led me to harder drugs

I guess it's important to define 'hard drugs' for myself, and I would say that I think they are opioids, Coke, Crack, Meth etc. I don't consider MDMA to be a hard drug (although I've only ever taken one pill in my life).
If we're talking harder drugs than weed, then LSD was a natural follow on. I don't consider LSD to be a hard drug because the potential for addiction is not really there; the tolerance kicks in so quickly that it is simply not worth taking several days in a row. By the time I took LSD, I was a regular weed smoker (daily) and a group of new-age travellers had set up camp somwhere in the area. New-age travellers, we quickly learned, were a great source of drugs and we scored a lot of Acid over the years. The travellers would often be moved on (as nobody really likes having them nearby!), but we would always be able to find where they had moved to!

I took a long break from pyschedelics for around twenty years, and also stopped doing weed for ten years. Recently I discovered how easy it is to source psychedelics due to the wonders of the Internet, so I experiment fairly regularly.

In terms of 'gateway drugs' I strongly disagree that the drugs themselves are the gateway. Why is Pot considered a gateway drug and not alcohol? The reason is because, outside of a few regions, it is illegal and so you are exposed to other illegal drugs. Also, in this country (UK) at least, there is nowhere near the same prevalence of prescription painkillers as you seem to get in the US. To me it seems that the easy availability of those substances in the US is the real problem!

I feel like I'm reading my own story! My parents decided to test me in 10th grade and I went on to taking MDMA (Which I wanted to do for a long time anyways) because it didn't last that long in the system and I tried coke and MDMA at the same time but wasn't interested in the effects of coke so I kept going with MDMA. Honestly, I'm happy I switched from weed to MDMA. It feels so much better, I don't fall asleep and I could take it and not come home smelling like smoke lol. Anyways, rolling is such a great experience... Haven't smoked weed in 5 months now!
Here i am thinking about how i got into doing more hardcore drugs. i realized it was a result of getting caught with cannabis back in the 10th grade. now I'm in the 12th grade and have moved onto bigger and badder drugs. i realized it was a result of getting tested for cannabis that made me move onto harder drugs that would not stay in the system nearly as long as cannabis, chiefly, heroin and pills. i have decided that the gateway drug for me was drug tests. anyone else feel the same?

for me it was the fact that once i got out of 8th grade i lost all weed connects for 4 years (Small Christian schools). alcohol was getting boring so when we would go to my grandparents like 3 times a year, i would take the hydros they didnt use/need. started at the end of 10th grade then when i was a senior in high school i was craving them so much. had no connects though so i dropped a brick on my foot till it fractured milked every doc i saw and got decent shit. wasnt able to get scripts anymore but my buddy from HS mom had died and had EVERYTHING leftover. you can probably tell the rest i stopped opiates March 1st, 2016.

moral of the story lack of weed connects especially in high school equals dangerous curiosity

Last edited:
I have the typical weed and alcohol beginning until I was 23 and started taking xanax for my anxiety. Started to party with my friends a lot.. To make up for lost time as I suffered extreme social anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia until I found xanax.

At a party everyone started congregating at the bathroom.. I asked what they were doing. They were shooting up heroin. And me being high on xanax and alcohol thought this was a great ideA! As you can imagine I overdosed and woke up in the hospital with my mom at my side.. Man. She thought I had been doing heroin for a long time and was a junkie. It took a long time to convince her that it was a one time thing. Especially since after that I started using regularly

Once you get into one hardcore drug that's it the flood gates are open and just based on the culture and types of people that use heroin, you will run into other hardcore drugs sooner or later.

Well I would say the parties is what introduced me to harder drugs for sure. Every drug I've ever done was discovered at a party of some kind probably. So yeah the parties for me

Self-medicating w/ weaker narcotics (e.g. hydrocodone/Vicodin, oxycodone/Perococet and clonazepam). Eventually (and obviously) moved on up to insufflating/smoking then intravenous dope. Been on and off IV heroin/cocaine, MMT, and bupe maintenance ever since. Real trouble started around 17-18 years of age with the benzo script and copping pain pills off the streets.

Last edited:
I wasn't introduced to drugs particularly young, was 15 the first time I got drunk and 17 before I tried weed for the first time...but 17 is also the age at which I got a serious neck injury from judo and ended up on tetrazepam (not a particularly well-known benzo since it's literally only prescribed as a muscle-relaxant) and oxys. Needless to say I was so new to the world of benzos and opiates I just starting craving them more and more, even once they weren't prescribed to me aymore - so I would get codeine every pharmacy I could find whilst simultaneously prescribed Xanax for anxiety, started finding contacts for oxys and eventually found a contact for heroin. From him it became cocaine as well and speedballs ahoy.

Proud to say I've been clean off those for 3 years %)

Introduced to the basics - booze, weed and MD fairly early, but the whole RC scene was when things really took off, tried every one of those things I could get my hands on, eventually ending up with occasional coke and heroin use.

Heroin became an epidemic in my town in 2004, when I already had an expensive oxy habit, heroin was cheaper and stronger

I was just thinking about this today. My story is a fairly common one. I started smoking weed when I was 16, although the first time I tried it was when I was 13. Cannabis and I had a decent relationship for a goot few years but around 18 I started getting panic attacks because of a deep sense of guilt I had about some things in my life that the cannabis was continually pointing out to me. By the time I was 19 I had found my cannabis replacement in painkillers. The first one was Percocet and damn was it good to me. Eventually I got sick of cold-water extracting percs and vics and I switched to oxies. When I was 20 my friend shot me up with an oxy 40 for the first time and I was in love instaneously. My fear of needles was obliterated and replaced with a fetish. When I couldn't get opiates and instead had to deal with muscle relaxers, I tried to inject them too. Looking back I see how absurd this is since the heart is itself a muscle and I didn't understand enough about the pharmacology to know if that was safe or not. Shortly after I began shooting oxies there came a day when there were none to be found between my house and Rochester (NY,) but my friend said he had some heroin. I, for some reason, was absolutely against shooting heroin up until that point because I saw it as a different "level" of drug use, even while shooting oxies, which is (in my educated opinion) more dangerous than shooting heroin in many ways. Anyway, on that day when my friend said he had heroin I told him I'd like to try a couple bags just to tide me over until the oxies returned, and once I shot dope for the first time I didn't have that "it's a new low" line of logic to keep me away from it and with the price being approximately 25% as much as oxies for about the same high, the savings and the 24/7/365 availability of heroin overtook me and soon after that I was shooting dope every day, many times each day. I went from essentially drug naive to shooting dope several times a day in just a couple of short years. At 21 I went to rehab for the first time. I stayed sober for almost 6 months to the day before relapsing. Then I used for six months, then got clean for six months, and went in cycles like that for a few years and now today I've got five years clean from alcohol and three or four years clean from almost all recreational drugs. Now I only use psychedelics every couple of months and I've recently started working with dissociatives to try to battle the panic disorder with agoraphobia I've had for almost ten years, and the absolutely crippling endogenous treatment-resistant depression I've had for literally my entire ~29 years on this planet (diagnosed with depression at age one, seriously.) It's been a long 29 years.

I never was a pot smoker.. It always made me dumb so I didn't like it.. I got addicted to xanax when I was in middle school so my dad sent me to rehab and I got clean.. Stayed clean had kids blah blah blah A bunvh of shit happened and my life fell apart and a friend of mine showed me how to IV heroin so I was hooked.. Got clean from Heroin my first lengthy jail sentence and moved to Gastonia NC and was introduced to good ol Crystal... I immedietly began IVing ice and was doing atleast a ounce a day between me and two other people... I was moving drugs for someone I thought was my friend so I got cheap prices thats why I done so much all the time. A year in county and skidded away from prison time by the skin of my teeth.. I got clean and have been clean ever since.!! My parents tell you that usually parents get warning signs.. their kids like pain pills then move up to dope I immediatly was shooting heroin and I got clean and then BOOM they get a call from county that I was in for trafficking meth and manufaactoring meth.. Sometimes there isnt anything that leads you to it.. I dove head first in the two worst possible things ever to exsist on this planet.!!

Tried weed for the first time on a festival 2013, then few times after that with some friends. Next came MDMA, did it with one of my best friends, hilariously I introduced him to every drug he tried, including LSD two weeks ago (am I a bad influence). After that was cocaine, I love that drug almost as much as I love psychedelics. Next year was a lot of weed and cocaine with occasional MDMA. Last year was frequent MDMA, first LSD use last November not long later 2nd and 3rd which was candy flipping, first shroom was February, DMT in April. Within a year of my first LSD trip I managed to trip 12 times. Basically once a month.

Pain. Severe pain led me to higher and higher tolerance. I attempted H once when half my script got stolen. It worked. Swore it would be my first and last time. Now I'm taking almost daily. Will not show in a test as what I am prescribed all breaks down to H. I am in the hospital/drs offices so much, begging my pain doc to up my dilauded, my month supply now lasts 2 weeks. Not being stolen, just how much I'm talking. As soon as those are gone, I go after the H, is been that way for 3 months now. Go through 10 packs a week, shoot 1/2 a pack at a time. If he would up my D I wouldn't go after the other. As my disease progresses the pain level is supposed to go down. I almost wish it would progress to escape this pain. I don't want to be high. I know no one believes that, but I don't. I want to be out of pain so I can function and pay my bills. Still refusing to go after disability. He tried switching my morphine to oxy, the ins won't pay for those, trying to get approval for that now. But yes, pain is what led me personally to the harder stuff.

I almost wish I could smoke pot, everyone tells me that helps so much with the pain, but I personally can't. One hit puts me into lala land. I just sit and stare, my mind flowing 1000 miles a minute but my body refusing to move. I ate a brownie Friday. Slept all weekend. So that was pretty counterproductive.

Well we are in the same boat, but this kid is still young. Nice to know some of the older posters on the board blue light is great.

I'm 41, but rapidly going into denial about aging.

I grew up in Europe, started at about 11 years old huffing aerosols and glue, progressed to booze, then crank about about 16. Weed and lsd came after that, simply due to lack of connections. By 17 I had a serious heroin habit. The rest followed.

I've been clean for long periods. Currently ive decided fuck it, I'm going to give up trying and get high. I'm sick of rx opiates. No good rush to be had apart from dillies which are rare in my part of the world.

Weed, interest, hospital visit, hydrocodone, then oxycodone, then your dirty influences. Diamorphine, dexadrine, then alcohol and bam.