• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Benzo's and opiates - Really that dangerous?

I'm more concerned with trying to get to sleep, I can't sleep after using opiates which is why I took the benzo's.

I'm sure Zolpidem will have just as bad of a reaction?

I personally have noticed that Zolpidem (and by extension, i'd wager, the z drugs) are particularly more deadly, in combination, compared to regular benzos. I'd estimate this is because they are hypnotics, and mean to induce unconsciousness and sleep. They are meant to put you on your ass, not make you less anxious and still awake.

I had a VERY VERY negative reaction once to a mere 80mg OC and a few ambien. I still believe I have never come closer to dying in my entire life. So lucky I had someone there to keep me awake so that I could keep manually breathing, and not let me doze off. Also lucky enough that I was still at the point where that actually worked, and that I was able to make it through it alive.

If you want to experience what not having sufficient oxygen in your body feels like, and how you have to REMEMBER to breathe to make the ill effects of oxygen deprivation lessen up, keep on plowing ahead. If you want to avoid the experience of nodding off feeling as if it will be your last though on the planet, give it a shot.

FYI i have also OD'd on combinations of REGULAR benzos. No benzos+opiate combination is safe. Never in my life have I OD'd off of just benzos, or just opiates. But combine the two, or hell even 1+alcohol and you're in for a real treat if you dont get the dose on the dime.

I didn't read all the posts but use common sense. No shit it is dangerous, doing drugs in general is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Know your limits and you'll be good, but know at the same time you are playing with fire. It sounds like you are at the beginning of benzo use, it escalates just like other drugs.

I'm 22 years old and have lost 3 very close friends to this combination, and have lost more acquaintances. Life is not the same without my boys, and if you would of told me when I was 18 or 19 that this shit would of happened, I would of laughed in your face because I was ignorant, and we did it all the time - we weren't going to die. Somehow I'm still alive.

As long as you don't overdue it you'll be fine. Don't get caught up in the idea that it can't kill you, because it can. Respect the drugs. Respect the Benzo. Respect the Opiod.

hmm After one of my surgeries my doctor prescribed percs and valium for pain/muscle relaxant he was a surgeon,maybe because they were 5mg percs and 5 valiums but I never took more than 1 valium,but boy did I take more than 1 perc,just my 2 cents :)

hmm After one of my surgeries my doctor prescribed percs and valium for pain/muscle relaxant he was a surgeon,maybe because they were 5mg percs and 5 valiums but I never took more than 1 valium,but boy did I take more than 1 perc,just my 2 cents :)
Coolguy, I JUST remembered after reading your post...Years ago I awoke with such severe, sharp neck pain that I literally could not turn my neck at all.
My MD (at the time) prescribed me Valium and Hydrocodone. He said that Valium was the only benzo that had "actual physical muscle relaxing properties", and that "the pain medication would merely mask the pain, and the injury wouldn't heal unless relaxed by the Valium ".There were no warnings about taking them together, either.
I am in NO WAY advocating the mixture of benzos and opiates...Just sharing an experience.
Anyone here (mods, maybe? ) who can think of any reason why these particular drugs would be considered safe? At least, safe enough for an MD to be comfortable prescribing them together?

I haven't read this entire thread...but I feel like the answer is quite simply "yes" haha.

Yep, it's that simple. Benzos with opiates is really that dangerous.

The people that have od'd on the two, did it happen soon as they kicked in, or after u went to sleep?
Maybe it will b similar n ur cases and that could equate to the major cause versus another one...

& is it more dangerous to goto sleep on the 2?

& is it more dangerous to goto sleep on the 2?

Yes, sleeping will increase your chances of having a fatal overdose on the two. The reason is because sleeping also causes respiratory and cardiac depression.

As far as doctors prescribing them together, I would assume that, when taken as prescribed, it is an entirely benign combination. A doctor would not prescribe them if there was even a chance of overdose... or at least I would hope so! At recreational dosages they are exponentially more dangerous and unpredictable. The latter being the most significant impression based on what I have been told.

I took some opiates tonight and the thought of taking some Etizolam to fall asleep again didn't stand a chance; it has been permanently filed under "Things to do after I have life insurance". It sucks being not being able to sleep at 5 am but it's better than never being able to wake up!

Last edited:
What about in extremeley low doses? One of my favorite highs is 1mg eitzolam or 5mg diazepam and 30 - 90mg codeine mixed with a beer or two when im all out of cannabis. I guess these are ALL CNS depressants but the doses are so low its hardly even called recrational, I am average weight etc so I assume im not risking OD'ing but I will not combine them again if I cant get this confirmed.

I personally have noticed that Zolpidem (and by extension, i'd wager, the z drugs) are particularly more deadly, in combination, compared to regular benzos. I'd estimate this is because they are hypnotics, and mean to induce unconsciousness and sleep. They are meant to put you on your ass, not make you less anxious and still awake.

I had a VERY VERY negative reaction once to a mere 80mg OC and a few ambien. I still believe I have never come closer to dying in my entire life. So lucky I had someone there to keep me awake so that I could keep manually breathing, and not let me doze off. Also lucky enough that I was still at the point where that actually worked, and that I was able to make it through it alive.

If you want to experience what not having sufficient oxygen in your body feels like, and how you have to REMEMBER to breathe to make the ill effects of oxygen deprivation lessen up, keep on plowing ahead. If you want to avoid the experience of nodding off feeling as if it will be your last though on the planet, give it a shot.

FYI i have also OD'd on combinations of REGULAR benzos. No benzos+opiate combination is safe. Never in my life have I OD'd off of just benzos, or just opiates. But combine the two, or hell even 1+alcohol and you're in for a real treat if you dont get the dose on the dime.

Benzos have a set group of "hypnotics" that have higher activity at the alpha 1 subunit of the GABA(A) receptors than the z-drugs do. So the idea that somehow the z-drugs are deadlier in combo with other CNS depressants is, well, preposterous. Temazepam (hypnotic benzo) alone has caused more human fatalities than all z-drugs combined.

Yeah I have defiantly done my fair share of combining CNS depressants together. And you are right, if you know your limits it can go fine. But for me, sometimes benzos can turn on the "fuck it do it" switch in my brain and your limit is no where to be found.

I am not familiar with the benzo you took, but 30 mg of hydrocodone is not a lot to me so it should be all good.

haha thats exactly what i was thinking, if your dosage of hydrocodone is only 30mg, which is extremely low for most of us on here, then you have nothing to worry about it my opinion. For me 30mg of hydrocodone wouldnt even produce a noticable effect anymore. Let alone cause me any problems, even when a few xanax bars are thrown in with it.

i have to agree, i have had some sticky situations when combining opiates and benzos. i have no fucking clue how i am still alive, and its a complete mind-fuck how some powder and some pills can kill you, but it fucking can, it is WAYY, WAYY to easy to cross the line and knock on death's door. also, i found that i got mentally addicted to my polydrug abuse, that is i couldn't catch the same high on opiates without benzos because i was soo used to feeling of both at once, merely psychological, but still it made me want to have the same experience over and over again. though, the world is not black and white, taking opiates and benzos together doesn't automatically lead to death every time you combine the two, but there is a pretty damn good chance you will OD and never see the light again. just like drinking and driving doesn't consequently mean that you will be killed as a result, but it's a pretty fucking dumb idea and many people have been severely injured and killed as a result.

In the scenarios where people OD on the opiate/benzo combination, does it just happen in your sleep? Like one minute you're laying there, feeling great, the next, you wake up in a hospital bed, not knowing how you got there? Or is it something you actually feel? Is there any point where you consciously realize "I am overdosing"?

Well what you feel is its hard to get a good breath, and your wobbling around knocking into shit. I remember when i would do a triple depressant combo at my buddies house i didn't think much of it. But now i realize how stupid it was. Even if the doses were 'pussy' compared to you guys its still bad news. Like 1 norco , 1 bar, and unknown amount of alcohol. I would feel like an epic zombie, not a care in the world and do stupid shit. When it was time to sleep, 30 sec after laying down in bed id already be asleep. It's just risky as shit, a person shouldn't be that sedated. You can only get away with it so many times...

^That sounds incredibly terrifying. You can't catch your breath? Like, you're trying to take a deep breath but are unable? And you're consciously experiencing this? That's what kind of confuses me, I guess...do you realize "Oh shit, I've read about this happening to people online before...and I'm experiencing the same thing...I can't catch my breath...I'm trying to breathe and my body wont cooperate..." That's what it seems like to me..?

The closest I've ever come to mixing opiates and benzos is when I took 1mg alprazolam with like 2mgs of buprenorphine (suboxone). I remember feeling a bit nervous, because of what I'd read about the combination being dangerous, but I figured bupe was a pretty mild opiate and I was pretty safe...but I remember laying in bed, feeling veeeeery relaxed, and breathing became a bit labored...but never got to the point where I got really scared of nervous.

In some scenarios (like mine) you realise that you're ODing simply because you notice your shallow breathing, and the difference between a nod and literally dying. In other scenarios however many simply think they are nodding as usual, and fall asleep unaware that they have mixed a fatal dose of the two together, although the latter is least likely from what I've seen, people notice, and are horrified yet cannot so anything because they are completely out of it. It's not a good way to go out and is terrifying. Although you are near the black out stage, you don't quite reach it and are left gasping for air and simply just pas out unless you haven't fallen asleep. R.i.p to all those who have died through this, I feel the most sympathy for those that go out this way.

Even people with huge tolerances to both drugs succumb to fatal ODs on this combo. I think partly due to the inhibition that benzos produce can lead to people taking more, but even at low and controlled doses are still at risk.

God that sounds absolutely horrible...like being trapped in a nightmare but unable to force yourself to wake up, even though you know you're dreaming...

It's worse than a nightmare, it's attempting to keep yourself awake and breathing knowing that if you don't you could die - and at the time you know you will die if you pass out. You try and pace around the room taking in deep breaths, but many simply collapse as this makes it worse due to the lack of oxygen to your body when you're walking around.

Even benzos on their own can cause fatal respiratory depression. I have lost a person through OD of zolpidem on its own. It seems the hypnotics are even more dangerous.

Honestly I liked taking 1-2mg of Xanax an oxycodone but at the same time I did worry and still do about the combo because IT IS DANGEROUS and they potentiate each so Alot! But damn, I was noddin hard as shit. Actually passed out on the shitter Elvis style to be awaken by some friends knocking on the door. I totally forgot where I was.
P.S. if u cant piss on opiates try sitting down it helps so much

Last edited:
There have been many good posts and thanx for Tricomb for making this clear.

Sometimes I really think I've had angel with me because despite my selfdestructive behavior (when I was younger) I haven't died or hurt myself. There have been numerous cases when I've could died. To tell few.. I took about 100mg diazepam, drank beer all night and was heavily intoxicated when I took 40mg oxycontin. At that time I didn't even had much tolerance to opioids. Well, blacked out about 16 hours and waked up from my friend bathroom in well condition. Another time I had walked about 3km in railway when I took too much zolpidem and codeine - luckily train didn't hit me. Another time I had took overdose of GBL and codeine, passed out and waked up few hours later from rainy cold woods at fall and had severe hypothermia.

Well.. nowdays I like to take ex. 0,5-1mg of alprazolam or 5-10mg diazepam with 150mg codeine and consider that rather safe and effective combination.