• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Benzo's and opiates - Really that dangerous?

Benzodiazepines and Opioids combined leads to death, it is not always dosage dependent so don't think "oh well I don't take that much of either, I won't OD like others who obviously took a lot more than me".

I've lost three family members and more friends to benzos and opiates than I can count on one hand. Each and every one of those lives torn from this world, could have been prevented.
They overdosed with minimal amounts of both substances, and they had extremely high tolerances to both benzodiazepines and opioids.

It came as such a shock to me when the doctors told me the levels of drugs in their systems at time of death. I was amazed it wasn't higher, they had tried to overcome the risk of death by taking less of both, and look what good it did them. I guarantee you if you came with me to lay flowers on their graves, you would see the gravity of this combination. You are playing with fire at an oil refinery.

I usually find the heroin in the UK is usually so weak I wont bother getting heroin unless I got some benzos and or alcohol.

Done opiates + benzos hundreds of times and only OD'd once..,. but that was due to drinking a fair bit of alcohol aswell as slamming 2 bags of gear

It's hardly something you should be endorsing though. ODing once should be enough to worry you.

It's hardly something you should be endorsing though. ODing once should be enough to worry you.

Indeed, highly responsible to say "oh well usually the heroins weak so then it's okay". Just wait until you get a stronger batch, although if one OD didn't teach you, who knows if a second will.

Just before anyone decides to go too crazy combining these drugs, I'd like to share one detail from when I overdosed on methadone and alprazolam. I woke up two days after consuming the drugs in the ICU, and the nurses were inserting a catheter up my urethra because I had been unable to pee and they were worried I was going to poison myself with my own urine.. Just those five minutes with the catheter alone completely negated any of the "pleasure" that came from mixing the two. Honestly, it's just not worth the danger. Do them separately.

Yes..I did too much...slightly too much. I was able to handle 8mgs of xanax and 40mg of opana np and then I did 13mg of xanax and a 40mg...and yeah..woke up in hospital with a doctor looking at me amazed I was alive.

Mixing two CND is dangerous. I've done too without oding but it increases your chances alot...it's like drunk driving...sure most of the time you won't have a problem...but it's dangerous.

This is precisely my point. You took way too much at the same time.

Last night I felt the benzo's mildly for about an hour, sobered up almost completely and still had problems trying to get to sleep.

Had I taken 50 mg hydro's (way above my normal dose) and then taken 4-5 mg of etizolam (also above my normal dose) I would have more than likely overdosed. I didn't do that though, I waited 3 hours after my normal dose of opiates, and then took a smaller dose than usual of benzos. I was certainly not in danger during that time (or so I think?) which leads me to believe that, within the realms of practicality, the combination of opiates and benzos are not always dangerous. Or was I in danger with the combination I did?

Once again.... there is always danger. Have you read the responses saying they only took small amounts, and still ended up dead or OD'd?

Why are you trying to rationalize your use of the combination? You are not invincible. Don't you agree it's better safe than sorry (an emotion incapable of being felt when your dead)?

Yes..I did too much...slightly too much. I was able to handle 8mgs of xanax and 40mg of opana np and then I did 13mg of xanax and a 40mg...and yeah..woke up in hospital with a doctor looking at me amazed I was alive.

Mixing two CND is dangerous. I've done too without oding but it increases your chances alot...it's like drunk driving...sure most of the time you won't have a problem...but it's dangerous.

Last night I felt the benzo's mildly for about an hour, sobered up almost completely and still had problems trying to get to sleep.

Had I taken 50 mg hydro's (way above my normal dose) and then taken 4-5 mg of etizolam (also above my normal dose) I would have more than likely overdosed. I didn't do that though, I waited 3 hours after my normal dose of opiates, and then took a smaller dose than usual of benzos. I was certainly not in danger during that time (or so I think?) which leads me to believe that, within the realms of practicality, the combination of opiates and benzos are not always dangerous.

Yes, the ammount that I overdosed on was not much more than I normally took. I took an extra .5mg of Xanax than usual with the methadone, and it was enough to put my life in serious danger.

Just saying, etizolam (while still dangerous being a CNS depressant) probably interacts a little differently with opiates than a true benzodiazepine would.

I have never taken etizolam, but have mixed various benzos with opiates over my years and while some feel safer and others feel overwhelming (halcion+opana, never again) but the point is I could have OD'd and died with any of them. I have answered your dosing related question more than once now. Take it or leave it.

Once again.... there is always danger. Have you read the responses saying they only took small amounts, and still ended up dead or OD'd?

Why are you trying to rationalize your use of the combination? You are not invincible. Don't you agree it's better safe than sorry (an emotion incapable of being felt when your dead)?

I'm just trying to find out if my specific situation was dangerous. I didn't think it was and still kind of don't know, although I am certainly reconsidering doing it again lol. The closest answer to my question was the post that said they had taken less of each, but did they take them at the same time? I'm trying to figure out if there is a safe way to take them or if there absolutely is not

Yes, the ammount that I overdosed on was not much more than I normally took. I took an extra .5mg of Xanax than usual with the methadone, and it was enough to put my life in serious danger.

You took them at the same time? Even still that's a pretty small dose of xanax until now I wouldn't have thought that would be too much

Had I taken 50 mg hydro's (way above my normal dose) and then taken 4-5 mg of etizolam (also above my normal dose) I would have more than likely overdosed. I didn't do that though, I waited 3 hours after my normal dose of opiates, and then took a smaller dose than usual of benzos. I was certainly not in danger during that time (or so I think?) which leads me to believe that, within the realms of practicality, the combination of opiates and benzos are not always dangerous. Or was I in danger with the combination I did?

Something else to take into consideration: the effect of a dosage can depend greatly on set and setting. Let's say you normally take 30mg of hydrocodone and 2 mg etizolam in your apartment at night. If you take that same dose in a different setting (you're on vacation, for example, or visiting a relative), it might hit you a good deal harder. And while I doubt that dose would prove lethal, it may well result in you pissing in grandma's punch bowl at the family party after a benzo blackout or vomiting all over yourself from opiate nausea.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this discussion. If you want to mix opiates and benzos, nobody here is going to stop you. But neither are they going to tell you that it's safe in any amounts. Sure, driving with a .08 BAC is safer than driving with a .28. But nobody is going to pat you on your head and tell you it's fine if you only drive when you're just a little bit tipsy.

I'm not arguing with anyone... all the replies are appreciated. I don't think I will be doing this combination again even at safer doses, based on the responses I have received.

Good! Your life is worth too much for a cheap benzo/opiate buzz. If you aren't satisfied with your opiate high, ONLY in terms of HR, you would be better off slightly raising your dose of opiates, rather than throwing other STRONG CNS depressants into the equation.

I'm more concerned with trying to get to sleep, I can't sleep after using opiates which is why I took the benzo's.

I'm sure Zolpidem will have just as bad of a reaction?

Many legitimate patients are prescribed both opiates and benzos (myself included) and if you're abusing opiates, or using them for any reason other than pain, then you should abuse them earlier in the day so that there is no overlap with benzos and opiates.

I've had close calls taking less than my prescribed doses too close together.

What we are completely trying to discourage is simultaneous use of both drugs for recreational polydrug abuse.

I can't sleep after doing opiates
Have you tried weed? Weed won't put me to sleep during the high (infact I can't sleep while blazed), but 1.5+ hrs after smoking I can generally fall asleep right away. Plus if you enjoy weed to begin with, it's a pretty nice combo with opiates

Not to mention exponentially safer to mix cannabis with opiates instead of benzos w/ opiates.

Have you tried weed? Weed won't put me to sleep during the high (infact I can't sleep while blazed), but 1.5+ hrs after smoking I can generally fall asleep right away. Plus if you enjoy weed to begin with, it's a pretty nice combo with opiates

Yeah I love to smoke weed on the after high from opiates; the synergy is excellent. I'm not a huge fan of smoking while I'm actual high though, it makes me too tired and I'll start to nod (ironic). Afterwards though it doesn't help me sleep much. I have a prescription for ambien but have never wanted to mix them with anything.

I want to thank everyone for being rational. Yes...I did "too much" but the window between just right and too much is SO small. No one heres argueing with you were just trying to help. If you don't listen...my concious is clear. But your trying REALLY hard to say "hey this is all good" when honestly its SO dangerous. So many people have died on this combo. I visited the bluelight shrine last night and yeah..I'd go as far as to say 25% of the deaths are from this.