• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS TDS Pets thread vs. now with added SCOMFF!

stardust.hero:
Very glad to hear your kitty is okay. I'd really be freaking out in such a situation, but hopefully keep myself together enough to help my pet.

That looks lovely, I never thought I would want a raccoon but after looking at your photobucket pictures a raccoon is now on the top my list. What are they like around dogs, I have two bichon frise dogs they wouldnt bite Id be more worried of what a raccoon would do to them :)

Lucky is afraid of other animals for the most part, including cats and my macaw.
I have been trying to get him to not be afraid. He is getting more used to the new cat (my nephew's very beautiful long-haired cat - will post a picture of him later) but he still won't come close. He is not aggressive toward other animals or anyone in the household. I don't let him around my bird because he could easily kill him and my bird will chase any animal and certain people who get in his area and will bite if he catches them.

I have read about other people who have raccoons and dogs that get along well and play together. A raccoon would most likely do well with a dog if exposed from an early age. That is based on limited information. If you are thinking about getting a raccoon, you really need to do your homework. They require lots of attention, especially when young. Mine was bad to bite until he was about 8 months old. He still chews on my fingers often and will bite when playing, but not hard enough to do any damage or cause any significant pain. You would need to give the raccoon a whole room in the house, not just keep it in a cage and I let lucky have the run of the house 1-2 hours each day, supervised. The room would need to be raccoon proofed similar to what you'd do for a baby - nothing that the coon could be hurt by. Raising it from a baby to an adult is a challenge but if you put in the time and effort to do it right and you can tolerate the soft bites, you will probably have a good pet.

Here is an excellent website by a man who has been keeping raccoons for a long time. This will give you tons of information on pet raccoons: http://remocoon.mnsi.net/

I would be happy to talk with you about Lucky later if you'd like to do so by instant messaging (such as Microsoft's IM program)

I am not sure, but I think it is unlikely a raccoon would severely injure or kill a dog unless it is a small breed. Raccoons have much smaller teeth and mouths than dogs. It is possible though. I have heard of raccoons killing dogs before.

Edit:
I also spend time with him in his room each day. He comes to his door to call me when he wants my attention or to come out of his room.

Last edited:
^it is the fate of all the Inkitas that come after the original bushdog Inkita Aja in Nigeria to get fat.=D Fat is good in Nigerian dogs so it isn't a curse--it's the blessing of the original DogDog!<3

That snake is amazing--how does it not get away from you when you are giving it a slither through the garden?

Lucky is soooooooo cute! Talk about fat! Fat and happy no doubt.<3

He kind of looks exactly like that newspaper clipping you posted of Inky (roman numeral I don't know). DogDog lives on!

I lovin everyones hounds, I'm so grateful for my dog there are times when it's seemed like he's the only one who could reach me. He never judges me or expects anything from me, he's so gentle and seems so content with so very little<3

BLEqu0l.jpg

Meet Spoon (my daughter came up with the name when she was 3)

Spoon looks like a great cuddle monster. <3 Utensil names are awesome, btw ;)

His proper fancy name is Cotswold Chocolate Dreamer....obviously I've never called him that.

He's just turned 7 which is a gift as he was found to have renal dysplasia as a pup, basically he only has half of one functioning kidney. We were told he would make 5 but he's getting on just fine and he doesn't know:)

My kids love him so much, I never had a dog as a child but he makes up for it.

Yours are so pretty stardust, very dainty <3

Aww what a proper name indeed.

That's really great he's still going. Dogs are wonderous creatures. I too never had a house dog as a child. My parents had dogs that were mainly outside but brought inside at night. Once I got out of their house I got everything I've always wanted... A dog...:)sus: 3 dogs..) and a cat..since my mom was always allergic.

And thank you =D

Got some pictures of Lucky riding on my shoulders and thought I'd post them here. My face has been erased because I don't want anyone to know who I am.

I am the moron in the phoro, just in case you had any doubt (maybe you know about how I fucked up a month ago).

Here is another one:

I spent several days in the hospital and over 2.5 weeks in the nut house, so I was gone for over three weeks. I was worried Lucky would forget me. I knew I was probably being irrational because raccoons are intelligent animals but that did not stop the worrying. I knew my bird would remember me because I've been in the nut house two other times since I got him. Lucky was really excited to see me again and just wanted to stay with me all day. Baby was equally happy to see me again. I really love them both!

I am not supposed to have a raccoon where I live and the government could just come in and have him killed if they found out. I tell nobody about it except on bluelight. I want out of this place because I don't want anyone taking him away.

I'm going to post some pics of Baby (my macaw) later today. I was going to do it now but I have somewhere I need to go.

T*D I am so happy to see Lucky! And stop with that self-degrading talk! You are a wonderful person through and through! <3

Love me some Lucky pics <3 I did worry about him very much while you were away for a bit.

^
Thanks for the nice words (although it is kind of embarrasing). I'll try to cut the self degrading BS.
Here are three photos of Baby, my blue and gold macaw after taking a shower. I don't think I have shown anyone what he looks like when wet.

Here he is on my hand just after the shower:

Here he is standing on top of the door. He really likes to climb up the doors and that is his favorite place to go after a shower.

Here he is on me. Not quite as wet. I'm still not showing my face (it isn't actually ugly - I think I'd look at least average if I lost enough weight). Notice how long the tail feathers are. Sometimes they get longer than that.

I don't like giving him showers because he hates it. He doesn't try to bite and he doesn't scratch you all to hell like he used to, but he still tries to get away. I have to do it though because birds like him that don't get showers can develop problems with feather growth and skin problems, so it is necessary.

C748E9C2-F155-4FAF-8609-E7D0A33AFF41-2147-00000316AD0C7916_zps06a02f60.jpg

This is Harvey. he is 3/4 White german shepherd X 1/4 alaskan husky.
hes almost 3 so hes still a puppy. i love him<3

T*D OMG he's huge and gorgeous <3 you have the coolest pets!!!

Did you try to get the shower suction cup perch thing? When I wanted to get a Senegal parrot I was going to get one of those so I could bring him in the shower with me but put the perch where it only mists. I'm not sure if a perch would hold baby though lol.

I LOVE him Blake!!! I owned a husky as a kid and he was awesome his name was Orey (named after Orion)

I own 3 Papillons but I really want an Alaskan Klee Kai it's a miniature husky. (it's not an actual husky but it actually looks like one and is like the size of a smaller beagle)

AKK vs Husky for size comparison (both full grown):
alaskan-klee-kai-alaskan-klee-kai-17409208-533-400.jpg

casper-the-alaskan-klee-kai_44954_2010-07-06_w450.jpg

AKK and Papillon (both full grown)
crystalfrbeachcasperrocks.jpg

Last edited:
yeah hes a good boy.
i have a friend with one of them, such a good dog.
although he has strange names for his pets. he called his AKK spaghetti.

LOL that is a ridiculous name. You should ask him where he got him from and send me the breeder info 8), it's really difficult to find a breeder without a reference.

he adopted him from the pound, so he has no idea were it came from.
and i live in australia, i dunno how they go about sending dogs over seas.
sorry i couldnt be of more help=\

He's not mine Bunny, I wan't one though, they're not huskys they're a breed called Alaskan Klee Kai.

Blake are AKKs common in Aus? They're a pretty uncommon breed in the states so it's difficult to find a breeder. They also come in 3 different sizes small (like chihuahua almost size, medium (the size I posted) and a standard which is a little bigger. I want a medium sized one like the one I posted.

um there not that common really. ive only ever seen a few of the medium sized ones