TDS TDS Pets thread vs. now with added SCOMFF!

How cute. Is that her tail, in brown ?
Quite fuzzy..

Last edited:
Thank you … she is so special.
She is very fuzzy, puffy, looked like a little puff of smoke when she was a wee kitten.

My Mantis Shrimp is Way Cooler Than Your Cat

157i45e.jpg

This is my beloved pet. He's very friendly, just don't put your fingers near him or he'll fucking break them. I'm serious, don't fuck with my shrimp. He has raptorial appendages like this one here:
smasherrap.jpg

It works like this: There's basically a locking hinge that allows him to build up energy that is release in an instant once the hinge is unlocked. The appendage accelerates at the speed of a .22 caliber bullet. He can break calcium carbonate rock. Having one of the most advanced set of eyes in the animal kingdom also allow him to see many more wavelengths of light than you or I. He's like predator sort of, but cuter. Really, they have personalities like cats almost. Very curious about everything. I've only had this guy for a few months after I went into a fish shop and was told they didn't even want him! They gave him to me for free! The last one I had, you'd be watching TV, playing video games, then you'd turn around and he'd be at the edge of the tank just staring at you. Straight into your soul, lol.

He's awesome and I treat him like a king. This motherfucker eats real good. Sushi every day. Octopus, squid, crab, shrimp. Then he also brutally bludgeons his hermit crab and snail tankmates to death. The circle of life!

In conclusion, all your pets suck compared to mine. SO HA! SUCKERS!!!!

Every time I come to TDS I plan on posting something about my shitty life, but I check the pet thread and cheer up
10386270_10152837832310539_3246139762987988840_n.jpg

157i45e.jpg

This is my beloved pet. He's very friendly, just don't put your fingers near him or he'll fucking break them. I'm serious, don't fuck with my shrimp. He has raptorial appendages like this one here:

Ahh, he looks so sweet. I want one.. I can see his eyes.

Why are the pets in the dark side?

Because everyone of us walks through the dark side of life at some point but that doesn't mean we don't love our buddies.;)

@Allein. I feel very privileged to have met that big nut. Give him a scratch behind the ears for me, will ya?

157i45e.jpg

Ahh, he looks so sweet. I want one.. I can see his eyes.

Seriously, they're awesome. They're like killer cat shrimps. They appear to be curious about their surroundings in the way a cat is. Wanting to fiddle and mess with things until they're just right. Except instead of some cat scratches, this 2" monster will cut your finger to the bone. Larger specimens can cause cavitation, which occurs when they strike with such speed that their "arms" cause vapor bubbles to form. The vapor bubbles expand and collapse so fast that it can create a spark of light able to be captured on a high speed camera. Safe to say there's no hands in the tank, lol. Just skewers.

They're surprisingly easy to care for. This guy is in a little 5.5 gallon tank with only a few lbs of live rock, a bit of coral sand and a $20 powerhead. Toss a few poor, doomed hermits and snails in there and spend $10 at the seafood counter and you have enough to feed him for a year, easy. It's a <$100 tank.

Oh yeah, about those eyes. He's got trinocular vision...in each eye. They have 3 pupil like things in each eye. Also has 15 or 16 cones, giving them the ability to perceive wavelengths of light that humans cannot. For context, dogs have 2 cones(why they're partially color blind), we have 3, butterflies 5.

Wish I had a pet, been with an animal for the last fortnight or so and now I miss not being around one.:(

Seriously, they're awesome. They're like killer cat shrimps. They appear to be curious about their surroundings in the way a cat is. Wanting to fiddle and mess with things until they're just right. Except instead of some cat scratches, this 2" monster will cut your finger to the bone. Larger specimens can cause cavitation, which occurs when they strike with such speed that their "arms" cause vapor bubbles to form. The vapor bubbles expand and collapse so fast that it can create a spark of light able to be captured on a high speed camera. Safe to say there's no hands in the tank, lol. Just skewers.

They're surprisingly easy to care for. This guy is in a little 5.5 gallon tank with only a few lbs of live rock, a bit of coral sand and a $20 powerhead. Toss a few poor, doomed hermits and snails in there and spend $10 at the seafood counter and you have enough to feed him for a year, easy. It's a <$100 tank.

Oh yeah, about those eyes. He's got trinocular vision...in each eye. They have 3 pupil like things in each eye. Also has 15 or 16 cones, giving them the ability to perceive wavelengths of light that humans cannot. For context, dogs have 2 cones(why they're partially color blind), we have 3, butterflies 5.

Perceiving wavelengths of light? Wow! That's incredible… I always wondered what it would be like to see like some of the others species, black and white vision perhaps or to see energy movement, or light at you say. Pets live in a whole different world of seeing and hearing. I sometimes just watch my cat staring at the shadows moving across the walls, and her ears moving to sounds I can't hear.

Thank you for sharing this guy, he is such a special … unique creature. He makes me smile :)

The two main men in my life, Archie and Kev <3
zZUTD1N.jpg

Milky Joe and Archie <3
qBY7F8P.jpg

Busta and Rocky <3
GMoCfrI.jpg

My baby boy Rocky <3
RAykqY4.jpg

Last edited: