• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art Post some ART that you're feeling today - and why?

^ I especially like that last one Seyer.

Friedensreich Hundertwasser

living in an alternate universe where Dr. Seuss got a degree in architecture

HUNDERTWASSERSHIFTEDHILLHOUSES.jpg

Waldspirale-Darmstadt-1-1.jpg

2forestspiral-hundertwasserbuildingdarmstadtgermany2.jpg

hotel_therme_rogner_bad_blumau_kunsthaus.jpg

6a00d8341bf79853ef0147e2a97e1e970b-600wi

I like the bike, but the rest of it is.... what it is.

I like it because of the simplicity & colours

^... the light, chalky pastels and smooth, pebble-like forms have a very calming aesthetic. :)

Floating Garden
uzu_large.jpg

salt
Solo Show / Return to the Sea: Salt works by Motoi Yammoto

Concept

The mainspring of my work is derived from the death of my sister from brain cancer at the age of 24 in the winter of 1994.
Since then, I have had the dilemma, in grief and surprise, of thinking about what I had and lost. I started making art works that reflected such feelings and continue it as if I were writing a diary.
Many of my works take the form of labyrinths with complicated patterns, ruined and abandoned staircases or too narrow life-size tunnels, and all these works are made with salt.
A common perception towards them is "nearly reachable, yet not quite" or "nearly conceivable, yet not quite".
Memories seem to change and vanish as time goes by. However, what I sought for was the way in which I could touch a precious moment in my memories which cannot be attainable through pictures or writings.

Reasons for using salt

Salt seems to possess a close relation with human life beyond time and space. Moreover, especially in Japan, it is indispensable in the death culture. After my sister's death, what I began to do in order to accept this reality was examine how death was dealt with in the present social realm. I posed several related themes for myself such as brain death or terminal medical care and picked related materials accordingly. I then came to choose salt as a material for my work. This was when I started to focus on death customs in Japan. In the beginning, I was interested in the fact that salt is used in funerals or in its subtle transparency. But gradually I came to a point where the salt in my work might have been a part of some creature and supported their lives. Now I believe that salt enfolds the メmemory of livesモ. I have thus had a special feeling since I started using it as a material
*Taken from Yammoto's website

Last edited:
Yes pip, but the real question is: why didn't you do it in the 1920's :)

could'a done it then too...
if i had the chance, i should'a, but, now im here doing the same thing which would'a
changed
if i had known before,
this-uhhh,
moment
my main.?

29daate.jpg

The Allegory of Good and Bad Government
- Ambrogio Lorenzetti

February 1338

Last edited:
Well, that is the most amazing thing I have seen in a long time. I have watched it three times and the video about the making of it twice. I'm obsessed!