• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

doctor wants to put me on some sort of ssri!!

spun420 v. 2.0 said:
So my nurse practicioner says that I may benefit fit from some sort of SSRI. For anxietyand just to generally improve my life outlook.

she is giving me a choice of celexa, prozac, or paxil.

How is this going to effect my psychedelic explorations. I can pretty much just forget about the 2c's, mdma, and methylone huh?

Thet tryptamines should still work though right? Anyone with expierence please chime in.

can someone just answer the original question :\

%)

Xorkoth said:
Before you go on an SSRI, please try to discover whether your doctor is really trying to do what's best for you, or if he's trying to deal you some pharmaceutical company's poison. It's true that SSRIs seem to help some people, but personally I would never go on one of them. They fuck with your serotonin system and are designed to cause permanent changes over time. They're so new, and we just don't know any long-term effects yet. Not to mention they change your personality.

SSRIs creep me out... I'm not sure if it's worse that they're being pushed for the profit of drug companies and doctors, or because they hand them out so readily. Improving your outlook on life is possible without behavior-altering drugs.

[/strong opinion]

Xorkoth, you sound just like me, They want to give my fiance SSRIs for pre menstrual disphoric disorder, isnt that the biggest cock of pharmaceutical peddling shit youve ever heard in your life! I though ADHD was the worst they could do.

^^ Oh my god, dont let her do that! Although I assume you've already got it covered.

Spun420 v. 2.0 said:
See the weird thing is I'm not really even all that depressed. I was in the doctors office about a burn on my leg I got at work. Her partner had prescribed me temazepam to help me sleep at night. It is a pretty srious burn and when I would move about in bed while asllep sometimes the pain would wake me up. I told her the temazepam wasn't quite cutting the mustard so I had gone on and "acquired" some Xanax. So we begin talking about my benzo use and she said that if I try one of these SSRI's I might not need the "benzos". I don't need them I do enjoy them though. I already use 5-htp, but just pre and post tripping not as a daily supplement.

That settles it (in my mind). Don't let them give you an SSRI! It sounds like you absolutely have no need of one, at all.

Xorkoth said:
Before you go on an SSRI, please try to discover whether your doctor is really trying to do what's best for you, or if he's trying to deal you some pharmaceutical company's poison. It's true that SSRIs seem to help some people, but personally I would never go on one of them. They fuck with your serotonin system and are designed to cause permanent changes over time. They're so new, and we just don't know any long-term effects yet. Not to mention they change your personality.

SSRIs creep me out... I'm not sure if it's worse that they're being pushed for the profit of drug companies and doctors, or because they hand them out so readily. Improving your outlook on life is possible without behavior-altering drugs.

[/strong opinion]

Excuse me, but don't you take so called research chemicals? Long term effects of them are even less known then SSRI effects. My entire family has, at one point, been diagnosed ith a mental illness, for which SSRI's have been prescribed. In fact i take Zoloft.

They fuck with your seratonin system- what does a seratonergic psychedelic do?

To me, if shamans were using a plant to selectively inhibit the re-uptaking of seratonin, and the government illegalised thta, a culture would spring up around its reverent use. The cynisicism with which people regard legality and perceived government sanctioning of some drugs and not others is misplaced- that doesn't mean that everything legal is somehow corrupt, and that illegal drugs are somehow safer. I find it offensive that so many drug users on Bluelight seem to condemn SSRI use, but exploit any other means of attaining happiness. It is such a contradiction...

I use SSRI's so I don't have to be hospitalised with severe aggravated panic and agrophobia, and they've helped. Psychedelics have helped incredibly too. I fing no effect diminishment, if one simply ups the dose.

BTW, if anys ever used dipenhydramine or indeed, a lot of antihistsmines, you've performed SSRI Action in you brain.

Sometimes the real enemy is not Big Brother and his minions, but the little paranoid folk who see boogeymen everywhere. Derpession/anxiety are real- my family has a chemical imbalance that must be regulated, otherwise I'm in a psychiatric hospital, or dead.

Thst said, SSRI's without therapy, either self performed psychedelic or monitored, is useless.

willow11 said:
I find it offensive that so many drug users on Bluelight seem to condemn SSRI use, but exploit any other means of attaining happiness. It is such a contradiction...
I'm not really condemning SSRI use or condoning the use of psychedelics, my basic position is that mental problems should be dealt with on a psychological level through various forms of therapy; no pill will bring you happiness. I have the exact same attitude towards all other drugs including psychellics.

I don't condemn the use of any drug but I will give my advice on which drugs I believe are helpful and in the case of SSRIs I think they are unnecessary and an avoidance of the fact that happiness comes from within and not from without (a pill, for example).

I think a real concern when dealing with SSRIs is that we do not know how they work. We have some vagua idea that depression is linked to levels of serotonin and that's it. Whether this is a cause or effect is uncertain and no one really knows the actions of an SSRI. This guesswork coupled with my firm belif that mental problems can be dealt with entirely without drugs leads me to recommend against using them.

Last edited:
Luvox & Cipralex were my first two SSRI's. . I started taking them for severe agrophobia and anxiety in Sept/Oct 2006. Within a week I felt depression sneak up on me, and everything clouded over. I haven't been feeling myself ever since.

I've been in inpatient for 6 weeks, came out around Christmas. I went in for depression.

I knew I was suffering from depression, but I think these drugs just made it shine. I am currently on Effexor for my depression, and it is a major mindfuck. I think it makes things tolerable, but if I forget a dose, my entire life for a week is HORRIBLE. Extreme suicidality, no motivation, very anxiety ridden. I end up missing more doses and it just gets worse and worse (because I start purposely missing them, in that whole 'what's the point' mind frame).

Anyone else been afraid to switch meds in fear of losing what grip on reality you still have for the chance of a better life? It just feels like i'm stuck in the medication loop now, spending way too much for medication that just fucks with me. . argh

redeemer said:
I'm not really condemning SSRI use or condoning the use of psychedelics, my basic position is that mental problems should be dealt with on a psychological level through various forms of therapy; no pill will bring you happiness. I have the exact same attitude towards all other drugs including psychellics.

I don't condemn the use of any drug but I will give my advice on which drugs I believe are helpful and in the case of SSRIs I think they are unnecessary and an avoidance of the fact that happiness comes from within and not from without (a pill, for example).

I think a real concern when dealing with SSRIs is that we do not know how they work. We have some vagua idea that depression is linked to levels of serotonin and that's it. Whether this is a cause or effect is uncertain and no one really knows the actions of an SSRI. This guesswork coupled with my firm belif that mental problems can be dealt with entirely without drugs leads me to recommend against using them.

Of course mental problems COULD be dealt with without drugs, but they can help. I've been hospitilised twice, once about 2 weeks ago because extreme panic had made me have a very suicidal feeling. The only way to stop that was with large doses of diazepam. My only other so,ution was either rendering myself unconcious or dead.... drugs were NEEDED here. SSRI's help balance my personality, it wavers from deep lethargy to extreme agitation very frequently. The aim though of course is to not use the drugs at all- meditation, to me, is way more important then psychedelic use and SSRI use in relaxing the mind.

Long term effects are not really known about many drugs, particularly under-researched chemicals being sold online. Thats the same diff.

All I'm saying is that the original poster does not seem to be in need of something as powerful as an SSRI (at least by his own self-description). I realize they have been a great help to many people, and that's great. I just think that a lot of doctors are passing them out far, far too readily and sometimes practically blindly, and that they're being touted as a magic pill for anyone feeling down when in fact there exist much better alternatives for a lot of people. Now, if one is chemically imbalanced (as many people are), I can totally understand exploring the use of SSRIs to try to correct that imbalance. The OP, however, does not seem to display this sort of imbalance. In fact, he says he's happy.

Yes, I do take unresearched chemicals. But that's really not relevant. Doesn't mean I can't give someone advice when they ask for it. I'm not trying to say that taking a bunch of random psychedelic chemicals is totally healthy for me. I do feel more confident in taking a relatively unknown serotonergic psychedelic, though, with a similar method of activity to well-knonw, traditional psychedelics, than an entirely different type of drug with a totally different mechanism of action. The reason that SRIs make me nervous is because they work by selectively re-uptaking serotonin at various receptor sites, which can eventually cause long-term changes in the serotonin system. If that's the aim, then good. But if it's to help with restlessness when he's feeling happy... that just doesn't seem like an acceptable reason to put yourself at that risk. Conversely, serotonergic psychedelics bind to serotonin receptor sites instead of serotonin molecules, they don't inhibit re-uptake. Different type of thing.

Anyway, defending psychedelics is not my aim here. I just think the two issues are separate. Sure, I and many others may be causing ourselves irreparable harm with "research chemicals", but that's our risk to choose to take, and it's for a purpose, which is to have those experiences. Going on an SSRI is also a risk you must choose to take, and since the OP was asking for our opinion on the subject about whether or not to choose to take that risk, I gave him my opinion. If you're going to take that risk, there should be a good enough reason to, and curing some general restlessness when your life is otherwise going fine just doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me.

And I can't help but report on the things I've seen (apparently) mis-prescribed SSRIs do to friends and a family member of mine. That has been pretty terrible to see. I've witnessed some very close individuals end up in some frightening places.

If you really need an SSRi, get some St. John's Wort. At least you won't be fueling our drug companies. Not to mention it's a lot cheaper.

I really should be on a wide array of medications but I just tollerate. Will I have to suffer for the rest of my days, because thats fine with me but sometimes its just a pain in the ass.

i have seen more damage done over time to people who jump onto the SSRI/SNRI bandwagon then to the people who are suffering but deal with the issue a different way. just one mans observation. i am sure that some people need them, but i am equally sure they are over prescribed.

Xorkoth, i totally see your point, I just perceived a knee-jerk reaction which made me uncomfortable. I am highly troubled by some of what I've read regarding SSRI's, though I know to take it with a grain of salt- as I do both pro-and anti-drug literature. I agree and have experienced doctors rather callously dishing out SSRI's.

Their effects are strange- Zoloft , when I started it, had definite seratonin activity, there were telltale signs- pupil dilation, brighter visual perception, teeth clenched- but nothing extreme.

I can imagine that as someone who they have helped, it would be quite aggravating to hear them blanketed with generalities :)

!

A good buddy of mine went through the random hell of trying Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, and then finally Paxil.. over time he was experiencing the well known sexual side-effects which simply caused him great anxiety, stress and depression (hey, aren't these drugs supposed to help with that?) anyway.. he switched to Paxil under medical supervision and ended up with overwhelming suicidal thoughts. this is true story.. take it for what its worth. in the end he tapered off of his meds and got his old personality back. I missed him when he was gone (those drugs stripped him of his regular personality) and as an added bonus he was able to get high on methylone again!! (actually, Celexa and Lexapro are essentially the same drug with one being mixed salts and the other only one of the sterio isomers) which is fascinating homework for anyone taking or considering taking or who has concerns about a friend or loved one taking these drugs. peace out- be strong.

I find it amazing that parents can feed their kids amphetamines, brain chemistry altering SSRIs and SNRIs with the blessing of doctors, schools, and the FDA and people actually believe little Johnny has ADHD but really most parents are just lazy. and adult AD/HD?? hahaha give me a break.

spun420 v. 2.0 said:
Thet tryptamines should still work though right? Anyone with expierence please chime in.

Since no one has answered this yet, I'll do it.

I used SSRI's for a number of years and also did mushrooms and LSD during this time. They worked very well to a large extent - but like most of my experiences at the time, the experiences I had on tryptamines during this time were somehow "flat", i.e. I was only half a person, with my deepest darkness and my most deeprooted insecurities just, er, not really there. Tripping was more "fun" but less insightful. Closer to a very low dose of Ketamine perhaps than to a full-blown trip (cognitively). So I kinda feel that I didn't get the full range of psychedelic effects because of it.... I never came even close to ego-death while on SSRi's. So in my case they did cancel out some of the effects of tryptamines, but it's not like they made them inactive.

Oh yeah, and I wouldn't recommend SSRi's at all unless someone has really been clutching at straws for a considerable amount of time, has tried 5-HTP, St John's Wort, SAMe and such, and has had some counselling and perhaps meditation instruction as well as looked into their lifestyle, dietary habits and use of of other detrimental drugs and checked whether adjustments in any of those areas might not be of benefit.

^^^^Meh, I received PMs from spunV20 in this regards because no-one answered his querstion, just jumped down his throat. This an emotive subject for any one at the edge where freedom is being divided ie. drug law.

I've seen god and all that when psychedelically on SSRI's, just takemore of the drug. Its not like SSRI's mean you have no feelings, just more seratonin to use if you choose too. Via meditating, dietary, drugs etc....

When I was on paxil, tryptamines seemed weaker but most other substances were unaffected. Paxil is a pretty unpleasant ssri in terms of side effects/withdrawal so talk to your doctor after after you measure up what you might have to deal with when on them.

^^^Agreed about paxil/paroxetine. Weirder then most of those drugs. Sertiline (zoloft) seems gentle enough, though I've only been on for 1 week. Surprisingly, libido increase, plus not so surprising- manic energy and trembles, for which drinking seems the only solution.