• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

doctor wants to put me on some sort of ssri!!

spun420 v. 2.0

Bluelighter
So my nurse practicioner says that I may benefit fit from some sort of SSRI. For anxietyand just to generally improve my life outlook.

she is giving me a choice of celexa, prozac, or paxil.

How is this going to effect my psychedelic explorations. I can pretty much just forget about the 2c's, mdma, and methylone huh?

Thet tryptamines should still work though right? Anyone with expierence please chime in.

i used phens and tryptamines and they still worked. alcohol too. can't comment on the safety but im sure the info is out there.

ime ssri's are brutal. if you enjoy sex and being a sentient being, maybe seek out a different treatment.

Before you go on an SSRI, please try to discover whether your doctor is really trying to do what's best for you, or if he's trying to deal you some pharmaceutical company's poison. It's true that SSRIs seem to help some people, but personally I would never go on one of them. They fuck with your serotonin system and are designed to cause permanent changes over time. They're so new, and we just don't know any long-term effects yet. Not to mention they change your personality.

SSRIs creep me out... I'm not sure if it's worse that they're being pushed for the profit of drug companies and doctors, or because they hand them out so readily. Improving your outlook on life is possible without behavior-altering drugs.

[/strong opinion]

Xorkoth said:
Before you go on an SSRI, please try to discover whether your doctor is really trying to do what's best for you, or if he's trying to deal you some pharmaceutical company's poison.

I agree. In short, if your doctor has enough ssri/anti-D samples to feed a small, depressed army, watch out. This is likely the same shit he forces on all of his patients. I've also noticed if the ssris he tries to push on you all happen to be on-patent, thats another warning sign for an over-zealous pharm-companies-bitch doctor.

Xorkoth said:
They're so new, and we just don't know any long-term effects yet.
Agreed. We don't even know their acute effects particularly well as of yet! We just know they sometimes work and sometimes not... :\

IMO psychotherapy is the way to go.

redeemer said:
We just know they sometimes work and sometimes not

Yeah, exactly. In fact, they'll usually just put you on one without really doing much in the way of testing, if they actually test you at all. it seems like they just give you one for a while, and if it doesn't work, they wean you off and start another, and so on, until you've gone through them all (which couldn't possibly be entirely safe) or they happen to find one that works.

they creep me out as well. and I've always been one of those people that have spoken against them. Her reasoning behind it was that I use benzos to sleep and also sometimes just recreationally. She said that paxil especially might help with my anxiety and restlessness. I recently quit drinking and my outlook on life has never been better, but she made it sound awful tempting.

and MGS I really don't get the relevance of your comment... Some attempt at humor maybe??

Also I've spent all day talking to friends who have tried or are on SSRI's and it seems like there is about a 50/50 margin of folks who benefited and those that that thought they sucked. I've noticed that friends on them are very easy to amke laugh when before the same folks had sort of wry snide senses of humor. Also this dj friend of mine who was begining to break into production work in a big way(movie scores and what not) has had her creative output diminished by lexapro. She still does brilliant work, just not nearly as prolific. Same girl also says mdma does not work for her at all anymore. Although when she came down for a benefit she loved 4-aco-mipt.

/\ I was on two different SSRI's and on mirtazapine (alternating, not all together) for four years (quit over 7 years ago though). They ARE creepy... I have no doubt they have affected (somehow rewired) me, but I do feel far more whole again years afterwards. Took time to recover, though, they didn't really help me resolve a thing, come to think of it. I had to do a lot of resolving afterwards, in the years that followed SSRI use. One thing though: I enjoyed sex loads on SSRi's too.

Do SSRI's and psychotherapy work well together? My girlfriend has recently started citalopram 20mg a day and i must say it has been a really enormous improvement, but we've found a really good therapist and she's going to give it a try but stay on the citalopram at the same time.

And how do you know when it's ok to come off SSRIs?

The only ssri I have had even a modicum of success with is mirtazipine. The instant-disolve 15mg tabs taste like orange tic-tacs and are a very effective sedative. I always have a nice sort of after glow the next day too.

Xorkoth said:
Before you go on an SSRI, please try to discover whether your doctor is really trying to do what's best for you, or if he's trying to deal you some pharmaceutical company's poison. It's true that SSRIs seem to help some people, but personally I would never go on one of them. They fuck with your serotonin system and are designed to cause permanent changes over time. They're so new, and we just don't know any long-term effects yet. Not to mention they change your personality.

SSRIs creep me out... I'm not sure if it's worse that they're being pushed for the profit of drug companies and doctors, or because they hand them out so readily. Improving your outlook on life is possible without behavior-altering drugs.

[/strong opinion]

^Agreed, there are much better options. I went through a serious episide of depression when I was a teen and I went to my doctor more than once hoping he would put me on prozac which I felt would have somehow validated my depression. Luckily, my doctor was not a shill for the pharmaceutical industry and refused. He recommended St John's Wort and when I actually did try it, I found it very effective. Before you go near any SSRI's I would exhaust all other options. Do your own research on the following and talk to an open minded health practitioner:

5-HTP
St John's Wort
SAMe/TMG
Tyrosine/DL-Phenylalanine

There are other options as well, but those seem to be the most effective in my experience. SAMe/TMG increases endogenous DMT, which helps put the sparkle back in life, I believe low levels of DMT can be a major factor in some forms of depression, especially for the personality type that seeks and enjoys 'peak experiences' of the type often offered by psychedelics. If low serotonin is the problem, try trypophan, 5-HTP, or St. John's Wort, if its low dopamine, DLPA/Tyrosine may be most effective. I would HIGHLY recommend the book "Natural Highs: Supplements, Nutrition, and Mind-Body Techniques to Help You Feel Good All the Time", it is an AMAZING resource on the subject.

A few personal experience have me highly biased against SSRI's so keep that in mind. I tried Zoloft once just to see what it would do. My flawed logic at the time was that if it makes you happy, why not take it just to be happier? It was a mind fuck. I actually had suicidal thoughts popping into my head out of nowhere and I was not at all suicidal or depressed at the time. The problem though was that the thoughts were completely detached from the outcome. Sort of like, "Hey, I could slit my wrists right now, and then....", rather than "I could kill myself, but then I'd be dead " PERIOD

Also, last year my step father put a bullet in his head, within days of being put on an SSRI for sleep problems. He was in no way suicidal and had no history of depression. Its funny how "drugs" like mushrooms, ayahuasca, peyote etc with THOUSANDS of years of human use are illegal and "dangerous", whereas "medicines" like Prozac and Zoloft etc, with zero history of human use are dispensed like candy.

Beware of the pharmaceutical cartel and the anti-shamans!

nice post 11-11. St. John's Wort is a bad option IMO... I wouldn't take it again. It really fucks with certain opiates/other drugs and apparently leaves your skin blotchy if you're out in the sun after dosing... doesn't even do much. I use 5-HTP and tyrosine... the tyrosine doesn't seem to do much for depression but the 5-HTP seems pretty effective when LOTS of it is consumed... weird thing if I take a low dose of 5-HTP I don't notice any change but when I take a massive dose I feel it's effects even 24 hours later. I do here that SAMe is highly effective but supposedly not as popular as the others yet.

Ugh, mirtazipine is the creepiest one. So many people report feeling like they're always dreaming, and having depressing, terrible dreams about entirely alien lives where friends and family have died and such. Taking an hour or so to really fully wake up in the morning, and always waking up suddenly like they were scared out of sleep. Lots of people on it gain lots of weight as well. I have a friend who was on it for a while and she started to become a zombie, totally apathetic and disconnected from everything and everyone. She didn't even notice anything was up at the time, but after she got off of it, she said it felt like it was taking her soul.

There are some creepy stories about mirtazapine (Remeron) on Erowid. And Effexor.

SAMe, is the fastest acting but also the most expensive. TriMethylGlycine reportedly has the same/similar effects and is much cheaper. I have been using TMG almost exclusively lately and it has a very noticeable effect. The 1g pills are overkill though and I find its best to break it into three doses throughout the day. I find the effect is a bit like a psychedelic afterglow, often described as the feeling of 'connection'. After TMG donates a methyl group (think diMETHYLtryptamine) it becomes DMG which has a long history as a performance enhancing supplement so there is even more 'bang for the buck'. Compared to SAMe it is very cost effective and also the effect can be felt in days, rather than weeks which is standard for things like St John's Wort, 5-HTP and SSRI's. I would avoid TMG too close to other psychoactives. Tryptophan + methyl donors (SAMe/TMG) + MAOI could have some very serious psychoactive potential on its own, but I would proceed cautiously, if I were to proceed at all.

DLPA and Tyrosine may cause overstimulation if taken too close to some psychoactive drugs and should be avoided beforehand. There is also some research indicating that tyrosine may increase the potential neurotoxicity of MDMA and amphetamines due to increased dopamine production. I have personally seen tyrosine and phenylalanine being very helpful in restoring normal brain function in recovering meth addicts but combining the two may not be wise until more is known. Tyrosine and DLPA capsules can also be emptied in the mouth for sublingual absorbtion and can substitute for a caffeine boost. I remember the first time I tried tyrosine sublingually it felt like I was on E for couple minutes. I very definite rush, although it doesn't last for long and I didn't experience this same effect on subsequent doses.

St. John's Wort has the longest history of use and even though the exact mechanism of action isn't known it seems to be a bit of a 'non-selective neurotransmitter reuptake inhibitor' so unlike SSRI's its more balanced in its effect. It is also reported to possibly be a very slight MAOI, so there could be potential interactions if taken in combinations with other substances.

I have used 5-HTP in the past extensively and found it works well, especially when combined with St John's Wort although there is synergy so less of each is needed.

Almost all of the substances I have mentioned have been compared to standard antidepressants in double blind clinical trials and have found to have similar effectiveness as SSRI's and tricyclics with reduced side-effects, so keep that in mind when your doctor gives you "a choice of celexa, prozac, or paxil".

The point about your doctor pushing samples of 'on patent' anti-depressants is valid. If that is the case I would run and run fast. There are multiple documentaries on how the 'sick-care' industry works and plenty of information in the public domain. Going on an SSRI is a SERIOUS decision, I would recommend doing as much research as possible before making that decision.

Last edited:
See the weird thing is I'm not really even all that depressed. I was in the doctors office about a burn on my leg I got at work. Her partner had prescribed me temazepam to help me sleep at night. It is a pretty srious burn and when I would move about in bed while asllep sometimes the pain would wake me up. I told her the temazepam wasn't quite cutting the mustard so I had gone on and "acquired" some Xanax. So we begin talking about my benzo use and she said that if I try one of these SSRI's I might not need the "benzos". I don't need them I do enjoy them though. I already use 5-htp, but just pre and post tripping not as a daily supplement.

11 11 this TMG stuff sounds cool where ann you buy it? I hope I'm not breaking source dicussion rules asking about vitamins!