• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random questions thread - shit you wonder about

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're headed towards something similar, eventually, in more ways than one. Note the slow assimilation of genders. :)

But yes, Esperanto would make life a lot easier in a hurry. Easiest language on the planet. Nice!

I always use who and whom. And call me a snob, but I judge others based on whether they can use proper grammar (and whether they can spell) or not.

One of my biggest grammar peeves is referring to people as THAT, as in 'the person THAT drove the bus' as opposed to the correct 'the person WHO drove the bus'.

My most annoying grammar mistake is "You should of done ...", instead of "You should've done.." Verbal mispronunciation of "should've" is allowable, but when the error is deliberately written down, it, well, makes me sad more than anything.

No hate to those who don't think this kind of shit matters, but I just don't think it's that difficult to get it right. Like making sure when you shave, you shave both sides of your face evenly. Simple as that.

i think people who say "those ones" should be shot. and ignoramus' that use 'irregardless" or "alot", although there are many linguists who are saying it is becoming acceptable, apparently. (irregardless as a word, that is, not "alot"

i am pretty lazy online, especially with caps (although in my defense, using the enter button makes my pinkie hurt for some reason...nothing extreme, just bothersome, so i don't use it much.)

like sardonic said, "no hatin", but it is just surprising sometimes at how many grammatical errors people make. and atrocious spelling online is a bit of a thing too...but I was always a spelling bee champ, so guess I am biased :D but that is easily ignored, since half the time it is typos...

but I just don't think it's that difficult to get it right. Like making sure when you shave, you shave both sides of your face evenly. Simple as that
I can understand laziness though, it isn't exactly crucial to be grammatically proper in every way on a site that isn't professional. and frankly, i know i am very very impatient. label it a.d.d. label it lazy, whatever...but it is torture to go slowly and pay attention, seriously!! :D

Well if it was something worth givin a fuck about shit would probably be different but i know that i and alot of other people really dont care that fuckin much about something that is so inconsequential.

what do i know, thats just how i feel. but one thing i do know is this shit is veering off towards a debate on how important grammar and spelling is on a message board and whether or not its important to have your shit perfect when on here so why dont ppl get back to the original topic

No one is saying "perfect" - just that a little effort will go a long way to making yourself more understandable.

i always wondered what specific characteristics qualify a food item as a "condiment".

Are condiments just anything that you add to food to enhance the flavor? If so, whats the difference between condiments and seasonings? And couldnt all foods be condiments as well, because you can really put any one type of food on another type of food to enhance the flavor? And whats the difference between a condiment and an ingredient? You cant say that ingredients are things that are required for a dish, because alot of things that are considered ingredients are optional in a recipie. And what about salt? You can add salt to a meal before you cook it and its an ingredient, but you can add while youre eating and its a condiment. And what about brownies with walnuts? You can add walnuts to the mix and they are an ingredient, but if you leave them out, but then sprinkle them on right before serving, do they become a condiment?

I just thought it was something you added to the finished product. ?

Why isn't there an instant cooling kitchen appliance? We can heat food slowly on the stove and quickly in the microwave. We can cool food slowly in the fridge, but, if it's hot, have to let it cool down a bit before sticking it in there. Why isn't there an anti-microwave that would cool things down in a few seconds and almost freeze them in a couple of minutes?

You but thats the part i dont understand....you could make a chocolate cake and then cover it with shrimp, but does that mean shrimp are a condiment?

And when does it become a condiment? Like at what point? Lets say someone makes strawberry shortcake and puts whipped cream on it before they give it to you. Now, most people would agree that whipped cream is an integral ingredient in strawberry shortcake, but what if you want some more whipped cream, and you add it your self later on. Does that mean that whipped cream is both a ingredient AND a condiment? If so, then there is really nothing that qualifies as a genuine condiment, and a condiment only, because ANYTHING that you "add to the finished product" becomes a condiment, in which case, there really is no such thing as a condiment, there is only the action of "condimenting" your food. But there is no such word as condimenting, so i am confused.

I think a condiment would technically be anything you wouldn't just eat all by it's self. Like ketchup, you wouldn't just guzzle a bottle of ketchup, it's only used to add to food. Same with salt/pepper and other types of spices and sauces.

Allthough whipped cream is pretty damn tasy all by itself :)

yeah, same with peanut butter, and chocolate sauce, which are all things that can be considered condiments.

Plus....who exactly are we talking about that doesnt eat these things by themselves? My cousin eats ketchup straight out of the bottle. I dont think that theres any way to make a generalization about what "most people" wouldnt eat by itself.

But take mustard, for instance. Mustard is something which I at least consider to be a condiment. But there are dishes that you make that include mustard as an ingredient. So which one is it?

pennywise said:
yeah, same with peanut butter, and chocolate sauce, which are all things that can be considered condiments.
Not really. Condiments, by definition, are seasonings. Peanut butter, chocolate sauce and whipped cream do not fall into that category. Seasonings can also be ingredients. I really don't see a problem here.

Water is a beverage. Water is also an ingredient. This is endless.

Yikes, all I need in the kitchen is a mechanical bitch. I'll pass! Let the air cooling continue. =D

I think you're getting condiments confused with toppings, pennywise. Whipped cream, strawberries, and chocolate sauce are clearly toppings. And now, I'm off to eat some ice cream :)

guys...stop bitching bout grammar...thats for 'grammer_check' on livejournal to nit pick the shit out of..not you.

so here is a question for yall. why is it when i get piss drunk i talk/type gangsta as fuck but when im sober im as innocent as a white boy?

B240C said:
so here is a question for yall. why is it when i get piss drunk i talk/type gangsta as fuck but when im sober im as innocent as a white boy?
We must be from the same gene pool. I joust with street sprinkler trucks when drunk. Must be some sort of innate dislike of mechanical bitches.

I turn into a redneck. My husband can tell I have tipped back a few if my southern drawl comes out.

^^..Lol, I am the same way. "What're y'all doin to tonigh?", Haha, it's hard to do it justice with typing.

Ok, not sure if anyone else has this problem, but does anyone else feel that on certain days it seems all inanimate objects are out to get you?

I will wake up, and I'll step on something/stub my toe on the way to the shower, and I'm like "Oh no, it's one of THOSE days". I drop all sorts of things, make huge messes, throw something in the trash can and it bounces out, my earphones get tangled in my backpack, and it keeps going on all day sometimes. Thankfully, most days inanimate objects give me no trouble, and I glide through the day without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.