• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random questions thread - shit you wonder about

Status
Not open for further replies.
SillyAlien said:
Not really. Condiments, by definition, are seasonings. Peanut butter, chocolate sauce and whipped cream do not fall into that category. Seasonings can also be ingredients. I really don't see a problem here.

Water is a beverage. Water is also an ingredient. This is endless.

it is endless because it doesnt make any sense. you really havent answered the question of what a condiment (or for that matter what a seasoning, ingredient, or topping) actually is. I dont see the difference at all. So seasonings, ingredients, and condiments are all the same thing? I think you are dismissing it much to quickly.

my thoughts.

ingredients = what you put together to make the dish
seasonings = added to the dish for flavor, durring the cooking
condiments = added to the finished product for flavor

It doesn't really matter what you call what, it's just preference.

For me:

Seasoning is a spice that goes on something to add flavor while it is cooking.

Ingrediant is mixed with other ingrediants to form the food, not just to add flavor.

Condiments are spices or sauces that add flavor to something after it is cooked.

And toppings are condiments for dessserts.

B240C said:
so here is a question for yall. why is it when i get piss drunk i talk/type gangsta as fuck but when im sober im as innocent as a white boy?

Haha, i get that too. Lots of booze always brings out my black gangstah inner child. =D

Here's another question: why do teenagers feel the need to grow mustaches? Freaks me out every single time. It's like the pubescent version of a mullet.

Shimmer.Fade said:
I will wake up, and I'll step on something/stub my toe on the way to the shower, and I'm like "Oh no, it's one of THOSE days". I drop all sorts of things, make huge messes, throw something in the trash can and it bounces out, my earphones get tangled in my backpack, and it keeps going on all day sometimes.

And why when you start to get mad about it does it get WORSE? It seems the more fustrated you get the more things go wrong. :X

You are too much

Goodmane
Here's another question: why do teenagers feel the need to grow mustaches? Freaks me out every single time. It's like the pubescent version of a mullet
Freaky Freaky Freaky I know…
=D 8) =D

pennywise said:
it is endless because it doesnt make any sense. you really havent answered the question of what a condiment (or for that matter what a seasoning, ingredient, or topping) actually is. I dont see the difference at all. So seasonings, ingredients, and condiments are all the same thing? I think you are dismissing it much to quickly.
The original question addressed condiment and ingredient. I brought in seasoning into the mix (pun intended), only as a synonym. I'll stick to these three.

condiment: a substance used to enhance the flavour of food
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin condmentum, from conidre, to season. See dh- in Indo-European Roots.] (dictionary.com)

condiment = seasoning

ingredient: a component of a mixture or compound

Hence, by adding a condiment (a component) to something you are cooking (a mixture), it then also becomes an ingredient.

pennywise said:
So seasonings, ingredients, and condiments are all the same thing? I think you are dismissing it much to quickly.
Water can exist as solid, liquid and gas simultaneously, so for a condiment to be an ingredient at the same time is no big feat. I don't think I am dismissing anything prematurely, I am simply suggesting familiarising oneself with the meanings of separate words, their roots and origins, in that they may actually have a common meaning. Arguing one word against the other then becomes nothing more than an exercise in stubborn futility.

Last edited:
im just arguing that they all mean the same thing, and there im looking for a way to clearly differentiate between the three terms. Im wondering if there is ever a case in which something can be one thing but not the other. It would seem that anything that you add to food is added to "enhance flavor", and anything that you are adding to enhance the flavor is also considered "a component of a mixture". Is something ever "clearly" a condiment, but not an ingredient? or the other way around? or is "condiment" really the same kind of word as "projectile" that doesnt describe something concretely, but rather in terms of what is done with it? It seems strange to think that im eating something made of "condiments" as well as eating something made of "ingredients" because you generally think of the two as being something different. Is it that all condiments are ingredients, but a working defintion of condiments would denote that not all ingredients are condiments?

To me an ingredient is an integral part of the food, like without flour, a cake wouldn;t be a cake. But you can have a hamburger with ketchup or without and it is still a hamburger. A condiment is something that is added according to the preference of the user.

I wonder why we make threads like "what did you eat last" and then wonder why I post "scrambled eggs" like it is worth writing down. Then, I wonder why the hell I go back to the thread to read the responses.

Another one:

Why do they say if you die in a dream you die in reality??

wizekrak said:
Another one:

Why do they say if you die in a dream you die in reality??

No idea. While I think it is impossible to experience what death is really like in a dream, I have died numerous times. Usually as I die I wake up. Sometimes I zoom out of my body and watch what happens to it, which is usually pretty horrific. Then I'll usually find myself in a new body, and a similiar, yet different dream. Anyways, I have no idea why they say it cause at least from my experience its BS.

DarthMom said:
I wonder why we make threads like "what did you eat last" and then wonder why I post "scrambled eggs" like it is worth writing down. Then, I wonder why the hell I go back to the thread to read the responses.

I do this because it gives me ideas about what I might want to fix in the future. I post what I'm eating because I'm usually eating whatever I post as I post it, and it seems relevent to the present. Also, it is interesting to see what people eat, IMO it gives insight into their personality.

^agreed. Random, seemingly meaningless snippets about someone, i.e. what they eat, what they listen to, what they think of... when they... when someone they know....etc., especially when posted on BL, can work together to form a mental image about them.. but I think in 99% of cases it's completely wrong. Interesting nonetheless.

elemenohpee said:
To me an ingredient is an integral part of the food, like without flour, a cake wouldn;t be a cake. But you can have a hamburger with ketchup or without and it is still a hamburger. A condiment is something that is added according to the preference of the user.

yes but who decides what is integral to the recipe? for instance, the hamburger. Some people would consider hamburger meat without a bun to not qualify as being a hamburger, but some people would. Maybe someone doesnt like a bun with their hamburger, so they take the bun off. Does that mean that what they are eating is no longer a hamburger, because they took it off the bun? Or what if someone scrapes the icing off of their cake before they eat it. Does that mean they are no longer eating cake? It seems difficult to draw the line between what is added out of necessity, and what is added due to preference. And whose to say what qualifies as "cake" or "a hamburger"? The person who wrote the recipe? Doesnt that mean that whoever is making the dish is the one who decides what is "necessary" and what isn't? Doesnt that really just mean that it is all subjective based on taste anyway? I mean, I might decide that some food item is totally invaluable to the recipe, while someone else might come along and say "meh, i dont like walnuts, ill leave em out." Then what happens if someone else eats the non-walnuts brand, and thinks "hey, you know what this could really use? some walnuts." and they put walnuts on it. Does that mean that they have added a condiment, or that they have simply completed the missing portion of ingredients?

lol, the philosophy of food is fun=D

A hamburger without a bun would be a beef patty IMO. As for the cake, well you;ve herd the term "icing on the cake" so clearly icing is not necessary for a cake to be a cake. As for the walnuts example, since adding the walnuts is effectively creating an already existing product, it should take on the name of that product. Now if someone added walnuts to something that had never had walnuts in it before then it would be a topping. But now we run into the problem you were talking about, someone had to be the first to add walnuts. In this case I think its up to the person who invented the food.

I may be complicating the issue, but it seems like the condiment/ingredient decision is really based on loosely defined normative grounds. I just wonder how things like ketchup and mustard got so pigeonholed as condiments....

does anyone know what the difference is between a sauce and a dressing and gravy? I mean, I know generally dressing is for salad, but I dont see the difference between some dressings and some sauces. Also I know that gravy often goes with meat, and maybe its only made from meat juices, but I have heard italian families call tomato sauce "gravy".

gravy is made from drippings of meat.

sauce is a liquid served on or used in the preparation of food. Sauces are not consumed by themselves; they add flavour, moisture, and visual appeal to another dish. (taken right from dictionary)

dressing: savory dressings for salads; basically of two kinds: either the thin French or vinaigrette type or the creamy mayonnaise type
stuffing: a mixture of seasoned ingredients used to stuff meats and vegetables (also taken from dictionary)

Status
Not open for further replies.