View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Extreme quantities of LSD...?

fatdave

Bluelighter
I know my own limits, so I would never do this. But, what would happen if somebody took an extreme amount of LSD (I dunno, 1000, 10,000 hits or more). Would they ever come down? Would the develop tolerance over a few days or come down? Would they die? Would they freak out and think they were a dog and chase cars? If they ever did come down, would they lose control of their motor functions or speech?
Also, what is the largest # of hits that has been recorded as being taking by one person, and what happened to that person?
------------------
URL: http://www.rightbraindigital.com ...... AIM: TheBackOfMyMind

well...there are no trip reports (that i know of) about people who have taken that much acid yet...so that should tell you something about that...

It wont kill you. (although I am sure there is a lD50 in humans at some doesage ( beyond heroic) . There is some story about a few guy in New Zeland that snorted a few lines of the stuff thinking it was coke. You would probably lose it for awhile, but if you didn't hurt your self , you would most likely recover with in 24 hours or so. I dont thik it would be plesant. 10,000 hits is'nt realy that much material. so it would be easy to over do it. Saw a guy at a phish show spill a half a sports bottle of the stuff on himself, he was ok 12 hours later.

Apparently a guy died because he injected 300mg+...but it would be very interesting to find out what would happen at a slightly lower dose.
------------------
LSD-25
Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music, and music is THE BEST. - FZ

So you're saying that anyone should be okay after 24 hours? Nobody would trip for like a month? What if somebody took an amount almost equivalent to LD50? (I know they could probably take more and it may or may not be lethal, or lesser amounts may be lethal. That all depends on the person. I just want to know what would happen, in theory.)
------------------

well it depends on the person...
some people trip hard for 12 hours straight while others have a mellow trip for only 6 hours off the same acid...and yet some people have a mellow trip for 12 hours and others trip hard for 6 hours...
it all depends on how the body metabolizes and reacts with the drug...
some people need large amounts to get up there...others just need a lil...some people are sensitive to it...some people aren't...
like you said...you know your limit...and that limit is specific to you and maybe a few other people out there...but your limit might just be a tease to some people and a mindblowing experience to others...

Re: the above post...
I am not talking about how large quantities affect different people.
I am talking about how MASSIVE quanitites would affect ANYONE. As in, if somebody took 100,000 hits, how would it affect them and how long would they trip?
Thanks.
------------------

once, me and my friend dropped 7 doses of blotter..well ir turned out that each dose was in actuallity 3 hits per pic ont he paper, so we just took 21 doses! my friend adn i wewrre flippin out trippin crazy ballz!i was ok around 36+ hours later, but that was the most intense time on acid, and ever since that i dont like it that much anyore, with a 10+ hour peak..it was just too much, lol now i like mushrooms alot more..theyre just so much more chill..
------------------
Because i like to do lots of fuckin drugs and get fucked up ok!

well the point i was trying to make was that you can't say that anyone who takes 10,000 hits of acid is going to have "this" happen to them...some people maybe able to handle 10,000 hits...some people may not...increased dosages of acid may increase the intensity of the trip or the duration or both...but there is no real answer...the mechanics of LSD are still mysterious...we still aren't sure how it works pharmacologically...therefore you cannot put a specific effect or a specific duration to a specific dose...as they say...your mileage may vary....

OK, lets step outside of the box for a momment and look at the impact on an idividual who would be foolish enough to ingest such a large amount of LSD in the "big picture".
A few of the previous post have alluded that the person would eventually be "fine" after a few hours or days. I think this is being a bit presumptuous and near sighted. I agree that when talking on the level of pure chemical toxicity, we are not dealing with that much material - but "damage" to the brain and to the mind are often not necessarily one and the same.
Let's consider the reprocussions of emotional and mental trama - EXTREME emotional trama. For those who have studied psychology you might remember reading about PTSD or Post Tramatic Stress Disorder - this disorder was also refered to as "Shell Shock" at an earlier time. Soldiers who saw there good buddies heads blown off by mortar shells, babies being burned, being detained by the Viet Cong and tourtured for months... These experiences have been proven to result in long term mental illness and measurable chemical imbalances in the brain - not as a result of some toxic chemical, but as the result of an emotional overload of the mind. In Cambodia, there are also a group of women who have been documented for actually going BLIND after witnessing the mass execution of there husbands and sons during the massacres of the Pol Pot regime in the 1950s (Dont quote me on the exact date). This does not occur with every person who has experienced such horrible attrocities, but it has in many.
Consider the impact of such a massive tital wave of emotional pressures that would no doubt come with such a high dose of LSD - we could easily expect there to be some sort of long term emotional trama in the subject - if not a degree of transient emotional instability.
In summary, don't be mislead into believing that the only damage that the brain/mind is capabable of sustaining is on the chemical level. A mega-dose of LSD is much more likely to leave you with psychological scars as opposed to physiologically quantifiable neurotoxicity.
------------------
"I dislike the drug you are using, but I would defend with my life your right to use it."
- Paraphrase on Voltaire
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
- Dr. Johnson
"We do not sense imagination enough to sense what we are missing."
-Jean Toomer

Wow! Nice reply, Mr. Ghost!
smile.gif

Thanks!
If anybody else has any more info, please feel free to share.
------------------

the concept of perma-tripping is one i hear about alot and have coem across first hand. everyone hears storries. like the guy who things he's a glass of oarnge juice that everyone knows or friend knew. but then i have met people who have taken large amount.
one kid i mett in PA told me that he once put his whole face into liquid LSD because the owner of it said he could. him being the person he woudl saw a free chance to do something few have. i have to say i might of done it too. but when i met this kid it was some years after and he im sure was never as he was before. he showed signs that most people normaly would while triping. he couldent sit still. he said he saw tracers most of the time. and he could not concentrate on anything. he still manages to go through his life and is very interesting to talk to. he said that the first 2 days after he was tripping so hard he could not talk and only mumbled things. his friends took care of him and kept an eye on them. i asked him if it was fun and he said he didnt know. i asked him if he could go back would he do it agian. he told me "i wouldent of done it if i wasent prepared for it, dont let anyone tell you what to feel, if you think you can do it you can. if your ever scared dont do it because thats when something bad happens". i guess tripping for a long time gives you time to think about stuff.
but the point of all that is if some one took a large amount of acid. say 10,000 hits. i think they woudl live through it but they would never be the same. not to say they would change for the worse but they would always be difrent never fully recovering. it would depend how strong minded the person is. the most ive ever taken was a 10 strip of the best gels ive ever had. it was the best thing ive ever done and it changed my outlook on a lot of things. some day i might do more, maybenot it all depends on when/where/who and what not.
------------------
Shags

Saw this at Erowid the other day: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_dose.shtml
Conside that the average dose is somewhere in the 50-150 ug range:
Psychedelics Encyclopedia
Peter Stafford
p.70
For those concerned about immediate medical hazards in ingesting LSD...Abram Hoffer has estimated, on the basis of animal studies, that the half-lethal human dose--meaning half would die--would be about 14,000 [ug]. But one person who took 40,000 ug survived. In the only case of death reportedly caused by overdose (Journal of the Kentucky Medical Association), the quantity of LSD in the blood indicated that 320,000 ug had been injected intravenously.
Still, as others have pointed out there are other dangers that go along with ingesting large quantities.
smile.gif
- Hauti
[This message has been edited by Hauti (edited 27 August 2001).]

how could that kid who dipped his face in the lsd sleep? or has he been sleepless for years? I suppose any type of Rx: xanax, ambien, etc might work?

O.K., I used to go to quite a few Grateful Dead shows in the early nineties. One of our friends who did tour with us ended up getting mega-dosed in 1993. It's a long story but I'll try to keep it as short as possible. He was accused of raping some dirt-muffin dread-locked hippy-girl. There was never a rape; she just was trying to get back at him for some stupid drama soap-opera bullshit. Anyways, she told all these kids that she had been raped by my friend. Some other dirt-muffin dreadies decided to implement some of their brand of hippy justice. This involved spiking a beer with at ten pack (10 vials), and giving it to my friend. As he was drinking it they told him what they did and maybe next time he should think twice about raping someone.
In my opinion, the LSD was a little stronger dose for dose in the early nineties than it is now. Just to use a round number lets say that there were 100 micrograms per drop, with somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 drops per vial times 10 vials that comes to 100,000 micrograms. Now I'm not sure exactly how much of the beer he drank, but probably a good amount, so he probably got at the very least 30,000-40,000 micrograms.
Anyways, he had to go to the hospital and stayed there for a very long time. He said that for over a month he felt like he was tripping and after that it brought on full-blown psychosis that lasted for over a year. He tried to kill himself once during this. As time has gone by (7 years, or so) he has gradually gotten better but still deals with severe depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. He doesn't get physical flashbacks or anything, but he has post-traumatic stress syndrome for sure, where he relives the emotions he felt while spun. Within the last year he has started smoking pot again, but obviously doesn't touch any hallucinogens. He has become a functioning member of society again, but he still is only a shell of the person he used to be. Sad, but true.
[This message has been edited by descend (edited 28 August 2001).]

the kid i was talking about said he was awake for a few days tripping hard after it happened. he does sleep now and has a normal life but he still feels after effects of it.

A dose of 100,000ug or more...
My guess is you would blink out of exsistance leaving a bright flash of light behind.
But as far as an actual not metaphysical/spiritual guess goes...
Eventually the LSD would be metabolized out of the body, severe trauma to the psyche would have occured, possible remenants of permenant ego loss, a definite damage to vision and perception, in essence, you'd be fucked for a LONG time...
------------------
Lying on the stained wretched sheets with a bleeding virgin, we could plan a murder or start a religion...

its hard to use an Extrapolation curve as far as the acutal trip goes, but my guess is that you would be vitually blinded and deaf, but able to "hear things" - obviously totally disconnected from the real world, and if thouthgs on 10 hits are frantic and incomplete, im guessing 100x that or more would be just chaos, as in youd feel like going crazy not beign able to concentrate on anythign for more than a split second.
Time would probalby stand still/cease to exist, since you ahve no way of communicating or seeing anything, and i think youd probalby get hurt since motor functions would work but you woulnt comprehend objects or anything like that...
As far as Fear im not sure what happens when ones mind passes the boundry's of absolute terorr, ie an ultra-bad trip - it might nto even be that bad since you probably couldnt (for a while at least) comprehend emotions at all... thats just my $.02 though, not having 1/10th the balls to take on such endevors i guess well never know...
-=LayZ=-
------------------
"Music Doesnt affect Kids - If it did today we'd all be running around in dark rooms munching pills and listening to repetative electonic music."

LSD like everything else follows the "Law of Diminishing Returns", whereby the more of a chemical you ingest, the less of an effect each following dose has on you.
This is because of the number of receptor sites a chemical can seek out and bind to becomes increasingly less and less, until there are no more. During your trip the excess of the unstable LSD molecule floating around in your body would become useless waste and would be uselessly toxic to your body.
Typically it's around 20 hits that most people wouldn't percieve any difference in their trip's intensity, even if they took another 20 hits.
The only explanation I can come up with for these 2 day trips, and psychosis would be that someone who accidently took a large amount of acid could easily wig themselves out by the thought of taking "way too much". I imagine this could cause some severe psychological trauma.
I believe any "percieved" life threatening event could cause psychological trauma while under the influence of any strong psychadelic, at any dose.
In response to descend's post--I would have a hard time believing that some dirty, poor, peace-luvin hippies would waste $1500 of some good acid for revenge.
[This message has been edited by dj_quantum (edited 28 August 2001).]
[This message has been edited by dj_quantum (edited 28 August 2001).]

you can only trip so hard once your tripping so hard the extra hits are only adding time to how long your tripping.
------------------
Shags